Respect is not earned

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
There is a misconception filling our culture today that people have to "earn respect". They say so and so "hasn't earned my respect yet.". That is wrong. Respect is not earned. Respect is lost. Respect should be automatically and immediately given and should be given until the recipient loses it through their actions. My father taught me that along with many other things. Nobody "earns" my respect. They have it to begin with. That's how it should be. Anything else is wrong thinking.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA Life Member 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
I have a different view on that issue. I will show you respect, and give some respect. But you have to earn my true respect.

Kind of like my old Army days, You have to command respect, not Demand respect.

In my opinon it's like another misused word. Friend, if I listen to some people they have a ton of friends. I have very few friends, but I have a lot of buddys.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Jim, I don't think you really are on a different page. The respect shown initially is basic politeness and civility along with the openness to the possibility of building a stronger respect as time passes. Just like friendship, respect is a gradual and building process that doesn't come to be in a few minutes or days.

This isn't the best analogy but what I think of is the "respect must be earned" crowd looks at someone new and presumes they don't know anything and can't contribute anything to the activity or discussion in progress until they "earn" and "prove" their worthiness. What I read in what you said and what I meant is that the new person is considered to be an equal and treated with the respect an equal deserves until/unless they do things that show they do not deserve such consideration and treatment.

EO Forum Moderator
----------

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
Can't/won't disagree with that.

Must be something in one of the threads that I missed. I normally don't spend time on this forum (soapbox)

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I didn't have the benefit of the web or fancy things like that. Fortunately I had the benefit of something far better. I had the benefit of a dad who knows what's what. He taught me this silliness of people having to "earn" my respect isn't how it works. He taught me that every person is colorless inside. He taught me the correct definition of the n word that has nothing to do with color and everything to do with character. Unfortunately that definition no longer is printed in the dictionary. He taught me the correct side of politics, gun control, etc. that has served me well ever since.

EO Forum Moderator
----------

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Not to be a smart a** Leo, but did your dad teach you that in order for others to respect you, you must respect yourself?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Actually he did. I believe I do. I never thought about that one as I was focused on things external as they relate to others.

EO Forum Moderator
----------

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Demanding Respect: Ever noticed how the Big SUV's with the 24 inch rims are trying their best in Demanding Respect thru items in which they buy?

I do believe Dave Ramsey was the author of what I wrote above.