Reposition milage

Thornapple

Seasoned Expediter
I live in a remote spot in Michigan where not much freight is shipped from. So on Sunday or Monday I sometimes (make that usually) I reposition myself to one of the bigger citys that are about 100 to 150 miles away from my home.

My quesiton is: are my miles driving to this remote setting as well as my meals and expences while waiting for a load deductible?

When I was working in sales the miles driven from home to the office were not deductible but if I stopped to talk to a customer along the way they were.

Because I am not being repositioned by my the company I'm driving for, would this be looked at the same way?

One of the places I reposition to is a property I own with facilities to sleep and restroom etc.. Does this one qualifiy for duction, inspite of it being owned by me?

Thanks for the help.

t.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
The way I understand the rule is: If I'm not at home, off duty on my log book, it's a write-off. Business is business, whether you're under load or waiting for a load.

As far as driving to the property you own and waiting there... If it's a business move to put you in a better position and it's not your home, it's deductable. This is just my opinion and the way I operate.

Maybe Frank Katz can clarify this.

-Vampire Super Slooth Trucker!!!

Fkatz

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Reposition milage"
Jul-22-07, 10:16 PM (EDT)
I live in a remote spot in Michigan where not much freight is shipped from. So on Sunday or Monday I sometimes (make that usually) I reposition myself to one of the bigger citys that are about 100 to 150 miles away from my home.
My quesiton is: are my miles driving to this remote setting as well as my meals and expences while waiting for a load deductible?

When I was working in sales the miles driven from home to the office were not deductible but if I stopped to talk to a customer along the way they were. This is a ???? it would have to be proved. with receipts of some sort.

Because I am not being repositioned by my the company I'm driving for, would this be looked at the same way?

One of the places I reposition to is a property I own with facilities to sleep and restroom etc.. Does this one qualifiy for duction, inspite of it being owned by me?

Thanks for the help.

t.
Sorry Guys, but if you have a second home or a place to stay when you decide to go back out, that would not be considered as being away from home. I understand the subject on this, the problem is if you are audited, and the IRS finds out that you have this second place of abode,they will disallow the per diem for the days you are out,
IF it is under 250 miles one way it would not be considered as a days out, it must be over that mileage inorder to claim it.

Circular 230 Disclaimer – Any tax advice in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, by any taxpayer for the purpose of (1) avoiding tax related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (2) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or tax-related matters addressed herein.

“This information is provided as a public service, and should not be construed as individual accounting or tax planning advice. For information on how these general principles apply to your situation, please consult an accounting or tax professional. Franklin Katz) is an (ATP) whose practice is located in (Kings Mountain, NC 28086).â€

Thornapple

Seasoned Expediter
>IF it is under 250 miles one way it would not be considered
>as a days out, it must be over that mileage inorder to
>claim it.

OK, I pick up a load in Cleveland, OH and deliver in Saline, MI. I'm 171 miles from home, so I go to the Pilot at x 3 on US-23 to wait for my next load.

I pull in go in and take a shower and go to the local grill and order dinner. I have 2 hours left on my 14 so I call in and stay the night. Get up and go have bkfast.

Are you telling me by this reg. that none of the above cost of my living is deductible because I'm less than 250 miles from home?

If I followed there guide I would have to head home (oh I couldn't make it cause I could only drive about 100 miles till my 14 ran out) to get dinner and a shower and bkfast the next morning. I wouldn't make it so then I'd be stuck in Saginaw, MI and I still couldn't eat or shower cause I'm closer to home.

Ah and that's not the half of it.

Even if I made it home and did all I had to do and re-set my clock...waiting for a call for a load...I wouldn't get it cause I'm too far away from the normal freight lines to be there in less than an hour to pick-up.

If in fact I have this right, (somehow I think I've screwed it up) what would a person do? Especially in the Michigan area where you never know if or when you will get any loads.

I know your just the messenger.

But you know what always happens to the messenger, don't you.:9

Thanks for the words.
t.

Fkatz

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
In response to message #2

>IF it is under 250 miles one way it would not be considered
>as a days out, it must be over that mileage inorder to
>claim it.
OK, I pick up a load in Cleveland, OH and deliver in Saline, MI. I'm 171 miles from home, so I go to the Pilot at x 3 on US-23 to wait for my next load.

I pull in go in and take a shower and go to the local grill and order dinner. I have 2 hours left on my 14 so I call in and stay the night. Get up and go have bkfast.

Are you telling me by this reg. that none of the above cost of my living is deductible because I'm less than 250 miles from home?

If I followed there guide I would have to head home (oh I couldn't make it cause I could only drive about 100 miles till my 14 ran out) to get dinner and a shower and bkfast the next morning. I wouldn't make it so then I'd be stuck in Saginaw, MI and I still couldn't eat or shower cause I'm closer to home.

Ah and that's not the half of it.

Even if I made it home and did all I had to do and re-set my clock...waiting for a call for a load...I wouldn't get it cause I'm too far away from the normal freight lines to be there in less than an hour to pick-up.

If in fact I have this right, (somehow I think I've screwed it up) what would a person do? Especially in the Michigan area where you never know if or when you will get any loads.

I know your just the messenger.

But you know what always happens to the messenger, don't you.

Thanks for the words.

THORNAPPLE,

Your example is mainly for a local driver, not for someone who stays out for more than 1 load at a time, who returns back to his home to wait for another load. that is why I stated that under 250 miles would not be deductible, Your meals, showers, are not considered under the 14 hour rule, that is when you are off duty,Line 1, and not off duty not driving. Off duty not driving is for anything that would have to due with the load itself.like loading at shipper time spent, unloading at reciever, and possibly unloading the load your self. that is part of the 14 hours.(line 4) not what you are stating. that is full off duty line, and on line 1 of the log book.
Line 3 is the actual driving time, and line 2 is the sleeper.

Basically what you were figuring was for over the road drivers. I know you get short hauls, but I did not know what your situation was at the time of question.

Sorry for the misstatement.
Frank

IRS CIRCULAR 230 DISCLOSURE: To ensure compliance with requirements imposed by the IRS, we are required to inform you that any U.S. federal tax advice contained in this communication (including attachments) is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of 1) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or 2) promoting, marketing, or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein.

The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this messages is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.

If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to this message and deleting it from your computer

Thornapple

Seasoned Expediter
I guess we still have a misunderstanding.

I'm a driver of a D unit. I Put myself in service on Monday morning and sometimes get a load and sometimes don't get a load.

On Monday afternoon I call dispatch and ask if I should move and they say yes. So I move to a Pole Barn that I own down state. The reason I stay there is there is an office in the pole barn that my renter uses that has a toilet. I still sleep in my sleeper.

I stay there till I get a load. This might happen in hours or days.

The load picks up in Grand Rapids and goes to the Detroit area.

I get another load and it goes from Detroit to the Toledo area and another back to the Detroit area.

I don't go home for 2 weeks at a time. I'm sometimes out of this area but sometimes not.

I understand a log book and the lines and how to fill it out but my confussion is in your discribing the 250 mile rule.

Am I allowed to deduct my meals (up to the $52 per day) within the 250 miles or not?

Or do I have to keep track of the radius I except loads so I stay out of the 250 mile radius of my home?

Thanks for the help.

Fkatz

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Thronapple,
Forum name: Tax Topics For Expediters.
Subject: RE%3A Reposition milage
Posted by: Thornapple
I guess we still have a misunderstanding.

I'm a driver of a D unit. I Put myself in service on Monday morning and sometimes get a load and sometimes don't get a load.

On Monday afternoon I call dispatch and ask if I should move and they say yes. So I move to a Pole Barn that I own down state. The reason I stay there is there is an office in the pole barn that my renter uses that has a toilet. I still sleep in my sleeper.

I stay there till I get a load. This might happen in hours or days.

The load picks up in Grand Rapids and goes to the Detroit area.

I get another load and it goes from Detroit to the Toledo area and another back to the Detroit area.

I don't go home for 2 weeks at a time. I'm sometimes out of this area but sometimes not.

I understand a log book and the lines and how to fill it out but my confussion is in your discribing the 250 mile rule.

Am I allowed to deduct my meals (up to the $52 per day) within the 250 miles or not?

Or do I have to keep track of the radius I except loads so I stay out of the 250 mile radius of my home?

Thanks for the help.

I guess we are misunderstanding each other, from the way you WERE explaining in the last couple of posts, I was figuring you for a local driver. Not over the road, I did not know who you are leased on to,EITHER. so I figured it as a local, You would not be entitled to the per diem,
According to this last post, YOU ARE ENTITLED TO ALL OF THE PER DIEM OF $52.00 PER DAY AS A DEDUCTION SUBJECT TO THE 75% FOR 2007./

so all days are deductible, including your rentaldue to the bathroom stop.
Frank

Thornapple

Seasoned Expediter
WOW!!!

Thanks for the clearing up.

I didn't think we both could go around the pole another time on that one.

:>)