Report on New Qualcomm for Vanners!

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
OK guys, as promised, I said I'd report on if they destroyed my van to install the new system! LOL.

I'm happy to say PJ's did a fine job, and ran the new wiring just where the old wiring was. No new holes were drilled, etc. They used my old dish bracket to mount the new Satellite Dome, and the new second antenna mounts via adhesive right behind the dome.

mcp200a.jpg

The new 'black box' is much smaller, about the size of a cigar box, and tho I have mine mounted on a panel behind my seat, it could be easily hidden. As Linda said, the new QC is about a third the size of the old one closed, but it has a slide out keyboard. It is touch screen, and has worked well so far. I've gotten 2 runs dispatched on it, and the messages came in super fast, almost no waiting between 'beeps'. The voice alerts take some getting used to, but can be turned down or off. Once the messages download, you activate the Navigation unit, and it 'grabs' the addresses from the messages, and sets up the routing for you.

mcp200.jpg

The routing was pretty good, but it did take me down one road that would have been restricted for big trucks. I was understanding it would only route us down truck routes, will have to check.

Other than that,it works well, the touch screen works great, but I will have to find a new place to mount it. PJ's did tell me that is a small issue they will have to work out. I believe they said I am the first van (at FedEx anyway) to get one.. and it was hard finding a place to mount it that is secure, but not in the way... yet I can still see the screen for GPS purposes. Right now I have it on the side of my 'dogbox', angled towards me, but will be moving it.

Some things do work a little different, since we are not required to have all the functions of the 'big trucks', but so far I like it.

Dale

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Your dome platform is mounted correctly. The goofs who did mine put it on turned 90 degrees so the open sides are to the sides. I'm concerned about where they'll mount the holder in my van also. Right now I have my QC loose and lay it on the floor between the seats. I really don't want to drill the dash to attach anything but guess I'll have to.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Leo, I'm thinking I may drill the dash somewhere. It comes with a small 'ram-mount' that would require 4 small holes. I'm also thinking about one of the cupholders on top of the dogbox. I have a steel filing cabinet size cabinet between the seats.. I may get a longer ram-mount bar, and mount it off the cabinet. I could just leave it out of the way, but if I decide I like the navigation, I want to be able to see it without looking down.

Dale

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yeah, I had that same small Ram mount in the truck when I was testing the unit. I may get one of the heavy bean bags for gps and see if I could make it work for this. I just don't want to lock it into one spot if I can help it.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
I forgot you tested it. I think it might be too heavy for the beanbag. Gotta figure out something different tho.

Dale

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Couple more notes to add..

The new unit works off of 3 signal sources. There is the traditional Satellite signal, or it will work off of Cell towers, and lastly, if sitting near a free Wifi zone, it grabs that signal. End result, I have signal in more places, including under trees, fuel islands, tunnels, etc... so far I haven't lost signal.

Sitting in my driveway, and got my load information for a run I'm doing later today. I have a lot of trees, so the satellite signal is usually weak and some times I have to actually pull out of my drive to get the info. Well, this time... within seconds of logging on, I got almost a 'burst transmission'.... the messages all came in seemingly at once, and I had all my info. Couple of taps on the touchscreen, and the routing downloads to the GPS segment, and boom, ready to go. Slick!

Dale

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks for the post and pics Dale!! Not being a cigar smoker can you elaborate on how big the black box part is and if you had to guess, how much the box weighs? Also, is the screen/keyboard unit connected with a thick curly cord (the current units could be used as a tow strap I swear) of something a bit more flexible?

I like the idea of the improved signal, I have a challenging driveway signal at home too.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Piper1 the QC are all new and that darn cord is very stiff and unyielding. I am wondering if 5 years if it will be pliable.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Our current Qualcomm unit is not mounted. A flexible cord leads from it to a place under our dash where it attaches to the rest of the wiring. When not in use, it is nicely stored out of sight and out of the way on a shelf Volvo builds above the trash bin and below the dash.

The flexible cord makes it very easy to move the unit about and operate it from the driver's seat (when the truck is not moving), passenger seat or sleeper. As a team, we move it about quite a bit as the co-driver operates it while the driver drives, and when one of us might be looking something up for the other. We have no need to see the Qualcomm screen while driving as we already have a nice GPS unit.

Will that same flexibility exist with the new unit?

What kind of custom installations might be available, even if we have to pay extra for them?

When we give truck tours, people sometimes ask, "Where's your Qualcomm?" I love the ability we have now to store it out of sight and mind. I hope we can maintain that.

EDIT:

I may have answered my own question about the cord. Go to Google, click on images, enter Qualcomm MCP 200 and view several photos of the device.

Last edited:

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Phil, you only hve to mount it where you can see it, if you want to use the GPS capabilities. I like my GPS too, but it does have a couple nice features.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
If you are going to place the QC where you cannot see it you need to keep the sound up so you can hear when you get a message.
We have found for us we keep the sound down and the lit envelope gets our attention. If we had the QC hidden we would not be able to see the lit envelope.

aileron

Expert Expediter
Dale,
Did they have to connect it to some other engine signals, or only to the same 3 wires (ground, always on power, and key on power) the old one used?

Thanks

interstategar

Veteran Expediter
Question:

Can the stay on time after engine cut off be chosen? In my old current unit I have the clink stay on for only 5 minutes so my battery doesn't drain. By doing this my battery and altenator have longer life.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Yes, it uses the same wiring as far as I can see, they can't hook it into the engine computer like with trucks.

The 'black box' is about 8x8 by 2 inches thick I'd guess.

and yes, the time can be set. Right now it's about 20 minutes I think... which provides a good balance.

So far it's worked good.. except for the routing. I have 2 locations 'stuck' on the routing screen. I downloaded the directions, then used my regular GPS as I liked it's routing better. Since the locations never registered as delivered, it still thinks I need to go there, and no new locations will download. I have an email requesting help on that.

Dale

interstategar

Veteran Expediter
Question:
I noticed there's a scanning option on the display. Can this unit scan our B/L and shipper's B/L, and send to FedX eliminating the need to ship them via Tripak?

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I asked about that....it's coming. There is a lot of work that needs to be done at FedEx to build the systems required to process the info as it comes in. The plan (as told to me) was to get the new unit rolled out first, then the scanner option to eliminate TripPak is next. They do want to do it as right now TripPak costs them money, with the scanners, we are already paying for that via the QC fees.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
dale, does the gps actually move along like the garmin, magellan or is it just directions like google maps?