Removing passenger seat disables airbag system?

Fisherman

Active Expediter
Driver
I had the passenger seat removed in my 2020 Ford Transit 350 and I've been told that it will disable the whole airbag system. Is this true? I turned the switch in the passenger glove compartment to turn off the passenger airbag, but the airbag light is still on in the dash. Someone suggested that maybe I would have better luck if I turned the passenger airbag off BEFORE removing the passenger seat, but I kind of doubt it.

Anyway, is there a way to remove my passenger seat while keeping my driver airbag operational? If not, I will put the passenger seat back in. I value my safety more than the extra room.

Mr. Loyalty.

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yes that is the way both the transit and promaster are designed....its a loop system. Basically you break the loop when you disconnect the sensor in the seat.
Mr. Dan is correct. Supposedly if you do not have the seatbelt buckled in a Ford the airbag will not work as well. Like Mr. Dan stated, it's a loop...

Reactions: muttly

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
I talked with my friend that took the passenger seat out of his van and he said to gently pull out the sensor underneath the seat and keep it plugged in to keep the light off.
Then just coil up the wires and tuck it in somewhere in the wall of the van.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I talked with my friend that took the passenger seat out of his van and he said to gently pull out the sensor underneath the seat and keep it plugged in to keep the light off.
Then just coil up the wires and tuck it in somewhere in the wall of the van.
Keep it plugged into what? There was a discussion on the Ford Transit forum where someone suggested to cut the plug and wire in a resistor. No mention of how many ohms the the resistor should be. I just left the connector on. yeah, the airbag light stays on but some day it will burn out.