removing old decals

G

I just bought a FL80 that was signed on with Panther for about 2 months. Any ideas how to get the old "cat" off my truck?

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I have used a heat gun. Some glue will remain, and I used goof off. Find it at Home depot, Lowes, and probably WM. Heat gun should get the largest portion off. When they re-decal a 53' trailer, that is usually how they do it.

Twmaster

Expert Expediter
I have a Wagner heat gun and it works great for jobs like that. Some goo will remain as Dave pointed out but some solvent should deal with that handily.

--
Mike N

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
I've had great success with a propane torch. With a little praactice you'll quickly get the feel for heat time/distance.

Perhaps RichM will relay his experience of using ether and a match to redecorate the side of a box.

cat can do

Veteran Expediter
The best thing I have found is the heat gun, and WD40. Goo gone and some of the wax and greese removers are to harsh, if you use to much or stay in one area to long. Good luck.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Well after you have driven staight through from Moody Afb in Valdosta GA to Hill AFB in Odgen UT your mind is fuzzy and open to insane suggestions. We had a 1.1 D load on board and the shipping guys glued the 4 placards on before I could get to them.After unloading it was quite cold out and I couldn!t get the placards to peel off.Another truck from Landstar Ranger was unloading and the lady driver said,"Best way to to spray some ether or starting fluid on the placard,use a match to ignite the fluid and they will peel right off".So like the fool I can be sometimes I went up to a Flying J,bought some starter spray with ether in it, sprayed the placards , lit them with a match aand watched the paint peel off the box and leave a nice black soot placard outline.
Unfortunately for me about 2 days later, we stopped at Terry/Rene!s home in Mo and he couldn!t help but notice the black placards. Eventually I got it cleared up,but Terry I owe you one for this. I wonder if I should tell the story about ywhat happened to you on US 69 in OK. LOL :+

raceman

Veteran Expediter
I have had to remove decals many times. Get your self a good razor straight knife, like used for wall paper removal. Go to a autopaint store and ask for the best grease and grime remover. Used to prep autos for paint. Start with an adhesive release product and the knife. Follow that with the product from the auto paint shop. When all that is done use a 2000 psi pressure washer. Then go to a trcuk garage and finsih the entire job with steam and pressure. It took me a full day to get the Cat off one truck but when you are done there is no goo left. It is not easy no matter how you do it. But never light a match to do it. Just a bad idea.

raceman