Remembering Big Red

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Because Secretiat had almost twice the normal sized heart, an autopsy concluded, he had a real advantage any marathon runner would love to have.. He could pump the blood faster and not suffer from lactosis, that stiffens muscles.... He really was like a machine.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Who know's how big Man O War's heart was. He won 20 out of 21 starts often carrying over 130 lbs which is pretty much unheard of.

In my opinion Man O War is easily in the same class as Secretariat. Both horses were above average and in a very elite class.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Who know's how big Man O War's heart was. He won 20 out of 21 starts often carrying over 130 lbs which is pretty much unheard of.

In my opinion Man O War is easily in the same class as Secretariat. Both horses were above average and in a very elite class.

Yipper skipper! :)

Maverick

Seasoned Expediter
I think Man-O-War fits right on up there as well.

Yupper. I settle that one in my head (as the debate rages between the two) by simply believing Man-O-War could win the short to medium race, Big Red takes the Belmont with that over sized motor OVM alluded to.

Don't think any horse beats Secretariat in that race. Both were great, and must not forget the unfortunate Sham.....who most likely would have been the triple crown winner in 1973, even though not in the same elite super class with the other two.

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yupper. I settle that one in my head (as the debate rages between the two) by simply believing Man-O-War could win the short to medium race, Big Red takes the Belmont with that over sized motor OVM alluded to.

Don't think any horse beats Secretariat in that race. Both were great, and must not forget the unfortunate Sham.....who most likely would have been the triple crown winner in 1973, even though not in the same elite super class with the other two.

In all likelihood the heart thingee was the only difference between the 2 horses...it's like a Mark MacGuire with an asterisk beside the name.

Maverick

Seasoned Expediter
In all likelihood the heart thingee was the only difference between the 2 horses...it's like a Mark MacGuire with an asterisk beside the name.

Hey! :mad:

38 year Cardinal fan here....so watch it. LOL

Good comparison though. And those *****'s could be placed beside many athlete's names. The thing about Secretariat was his demeanor as well. This horse was a total ham, and possessed the rare mix of arrogance and playfulness, rarely found in a stallion of this caliber.

That personality sets him apart, right along with his ability.

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If Secretariat was in the juice, you can't blame him for it :rolleyes: nor can you prove it. McGuire, OTOH....

Sent from my SCH-I110 using EO Forums mobile app