Regulation Nation

tbubster

Seasoned Expediter
So these guys catch one heck of a tune that could of sold for hundreds of thousands of dollars.They paid for the permits to catch tuna,but the government saiy they did not catch it with a rod and reel so the government took it.the government sell it for 5 grand,5 grand then lets the fishermen off with a warning.Something tells me the government screwed up on this one.Having grown up in maine and knowing alot of fishermen I know they do not let fisherman off with warnings that take fish illegally.They are very swift and very heavy handed with the fines.

Fox News - Breaking News Updates | Latest News Headlines | Photos & News Videos

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I read this yesterday...the guy is no small time fisherman and owns several big trawlers...he pays for the tuna permits just incase they do "net" a tuna, it is not like they are out fishing for tuna...

He did the right thing and notified the proper people when this happened, he trying to be right all the way alon and the Gov is the one being heavy handed...

You can be they will sell that tuna on the foreign market, rake in the cash and then tell the guy he screwed up and then kee the cash....

He's right, I'd dump the tuna permits also and then the next time, screw'em and either just dump the dead fish or sell it black market...but being the size he is, chances are he'd just dump it....