refill DEF speed limited in 196 miles

Charity's Van

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yesterday the refill DEF light came on. It was not a surpise, as it was due again. I have always waited til the light came on. I get about 2100 - 2200 mpg on DEF fluid. I have filled from the pumps at truck stops since new. It takes about 3 1/2 gallons or so to fill. well yesterday the van did not recognize the tank got filled. After a few moments of starting van: the DEF light comes on and I get a message "speed limited in 196 miles refill DEF" I was about 200 miles from my delivery and on a deadline. I drove on. I stopped about 50 miles later as I was at my fuel stop. I again got the message but payed no attention to what miles speed would be limited. I made my delivery. Upon restart I get message again "speed limited in 196 miles refill DEF" At this point Im about 450 miles from home. At every restart i get the same message, lucky for me it is not counting down those miles. I have been about 800 miles since this 1st appeared. I get no codes. I erased data anyway. I went tonight and filled DEF tank again. It held a half gallon, light and message the same. I tried inserting a clean hose into tank and blew air from my compressor hoping to agitate the liquid incase there was any crystals clinging to a sensor or something. No change still 196 miles to limited speed. I disconnected the battery too. No change. Any ideas? ps i have a "running light out" message but all are on ( this has been on for 60k miles)

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
Don't know, but I will tell you this. You need to fill up your DEF tank every fill up or every other fill up. Don't let it get low/near empty. You don't won't that stuff to get crystallized inside your tank. Also use the Peak DEF.

MB did a test and that stuff in the tanks wasn't as good quality as the ones in the jug. That was what I was told! You may need a cleaning and new sensors?

Reactions: Charity's Van

Charity's Van

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
dollar, ive been getting 2,200 mpg on DEF fluid since new. there is only 186k miles on van now. filling up every tank full or so would be a waste of time.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
It shouldn't crystallize at temperatures above 12° F.

As for the wonky display, I guess a bad sensor, especially since it's not counting down.

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
dollar, ive been getting 2,200 mpg on DEF fluid since new. there is only 186k miles on van now. filling up every tank full or so would be a waste of time.
I highly disagree. I top mine off every fill up and I'm done with mine before the fuel shuts off. I know I'm in a Sprinter, but that's what Dan at Sprinter of Fort Mitchell. From one diesel engine to another.

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator

As for the wonky display, I guess a bad sensor, especially since it's not counting down.
If I over fill mine, at my cap it's White and around the hose where you pour it in. Also when I screw the cap off the Peak DEF jug, some crystals do fall out around the cap. I think the once it's not in the liquid it starts crystallizing/drying out.

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
Euro Parts in San Diego has a cleaning kit for DEF tanks. Even though its for MB and VW I think, its a diesel and the van like yours came from Europe.

Last edited:
Reactions: Turtle

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter

If I over fill mine, at my cap it's White and around the hose where you pour it in. Also when I screw the cap off the Peak DEF jug, some crystals do fall out around the cap. I think the once it's not in the liquid it starts crystallizing/drying out.
Ah, gotcha. With DEF, the term "crystallized" means ice crystals.

When the water evaporates and you're left with nothing but the urea crystals, like rock candy or sea salt, that's certainly crystallized, too, in my book.

Reactions: DollarSign

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator

Ah, gotcha. With DEF, the term "crystallized" means ice crystals.

When the water evaporates and you're left with nothing but the urea crystals, like rock candy or sea salt, that's certainly crystallized, too, in my book.
Yep, just woke up and didn't think about the urea. That's what crystallized.

Charity's Van

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks for the replys fellows. just got a call to north of dallas tx. so far the countdown has not taken affect. im still gonna stop and restart in less than 150 miles a couple times to make sure that is happening. not going over that 196 miles. about 1050 round trip. maybe ill get used to the Italian mood lights in the dash. hahaha

Charity's Van

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
UPDATE: I drove this van about 7000 miles with the "refill DEF" light on and the "Slowdown in 196 Miles" message on info center. Yesterday I refilled the tank and the light went out and the message went away. I got my usual 2200 miles per gallon. Im thinking the sensor or float or what ever it is that monitors tank level stuck. Im glad I never got a real count down fro that 196 miles. The light normally comes on at about 9k miles and the tank hold about 4 gallons.

Andyinchville1

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
If it doesn't count down what would happen if you just save the expense and not run the fluid at all? ( my trucks are not new enough to have to run the DEF).

Just a thought

Andrew

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
If it doesn't count down what would happen if you just save the expense and not run the fluid at all? ( my trucks are not new enough to have to run the DEF).

Just a thought

Andrew
One Sprinter driver done that and I think it cost about $800. Its been a while. You don't and shouldn't do that.

Charity's Van

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator

Just a thought

Andrew
The tank was not empty. It did not reset after it got a fill. I got the message it would limit speed to 5 mph in 196 miles. Lucky for me this warning did not count down. If i had ran the tank to empty and not refilled, there would have been a code thrown and quite possibly a shut down. I normally run till the refill light comes on which is about 9k miles. I read on a sprinter site that someone thought the acidity of the urea is what triggers the sensor to turn off the refill light. If that is true then I must of gotten a somewhat weak mix of def in Alabama that did not trigger the sensor. When I refilled it a couple weeks later after 7k miles, then that batch was strong enough to turn off the light. i do not know for sure. Im just happy my lights went out. I have other diesels that are older and do not require def. This is the only one. Compared to many many others my def problem is very minor.

BlindSquid

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Had this happen once after letting the regular light come on twice. Dealer said computer registers it as need to see dealer 4 reset.
If def runs out @2200 then refill @ 1500 and avoid issue. That's what I did til I traded it. I never filled @ truck stop either. Used 2.5 gal jugs, always carried one. Headwinds & cold weather burn def faster.
Interesting to see the outcome though.

Reactions: Michael_H