Recruiting veterans

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
I believe that those stories are bogus. I was hanging out with a new guy from Schneider that forgot about the off track of the trailer and hit a pole/fence. He damaged the pole, fence, rim, and tire. He just had to go back to PA for a safety course, this was his first solo trip. I believe the training programs are usually garbage and the carriers know that so they do make exceptions for minor accidents.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

The most interesting forum posts to watch are the enthusiastic newbies that like you don't heed warnings . They have the , all you need is a good work ethic , you can be anything you want to be , and they won't do me that way attitude . We watch them go through CDL school , orientation , then they are not so positive when sent with a trainer . Within a month or two many vanish from the forums and are never seen again .
What is your explanation of OTR training companies having a turnover rate of over 100% when it is less than 10% with LTL carriers ?

BigCat

Expert Expediter
The most interesting forum posts to watch are the enthusiastic newbies that like you don't heed warnings . They have the , all you need is a good work ethic , you can be anything you want to be , and they won't do me that way attitude . We watch them go through CDL school , orientation , then they are not so positive when sent with a trainer . Within a month or two many vanish from the forums and are never seen again .
What is your explanation of OTR training companies having a turnover rate of over 100% when it is less than 10% with LTL carriers ?

I'll answer this. The otr companies have high turnover rates because many newbies think it is a walk in the park. They fail to realize it is a job and not a vacation.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Generally by the time you get to an LTL you understand trucking.
It's probably better pay and benefits than you're used to. ( my Roadway bid in 1996 paid me $72,000 per year, for a 6 day week then a 4 day week.)
I've heard of Fedex Frt drivers ar $100,000 per year.
So, there's nowhere to go to improve yourself from LTL. The turnover is retirement,medical, or burn-out.

paullud

Veteran Expediter

Just because people disappear from the forums it doesn't prove they were fired. There are many that didn't realize what the job was or just don't like it. As for the difference in turnover rates between LTL and OTR it should be pretty obvious. If I got paid $20+/hr, had health care, retirement, home every night, and was unionized I likely wouldn't leave either.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums