Recruiting veterans

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
The CDL mills and training carriers are now targeting veterans as their latest victims . Veterans deserve better and I think they have much better opportunity in expediting .
I've learned since expedite drivers are I/C's and not employees state employment offices and the VA will not assist expedite recruiters .
Here is a list of military career expos for next year . I thought perhaps it may be of interest to expedite recruiters .
http://images.military.com/pics/2013_proposed_careerexpo_calendar.pdf

BigCat

Expert Expediter
If you are an expedite o/o you can do alright. But driving for someone you can make more in truckload. $.24 cpm is not great money and that is about all I've made driving for fleet owner.

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
The thing with OTR training companies is they make trainees drive 4 to 6 weeks at $300 a week actually serving as cheap team drivers . Then they get pushed to be lease/operators and most of them end up thousands of dollars in debt .
There are good semi jobs but mostly for drivers with several years experience .

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
The CDL mills and training carriers are now targeting veterans as their latest victims . Veterans deserve better and I think they have much better opportunity in expediting .
I've learned since expedite drivers are I/C's and not employees state employment offices and the VA will not assist expedite recruiters .
Here is a list of military career expos for next year . I thought perhaps it may be of interest to expedite recruiters .
http://images.military.com/pics/2013_proposed_careerexpo_calendar.pdf

I don't understand what you are refering to "Vets deserve better remark." If a Veterans wants a CDL the only way 99% of them will get one is through a school. What's wrong with that? The VA will pay for that with the "Post 911 Bill." Most trucking companies recruit from CDL schools and train them further with hiring. Schools are only designed for a student to get a CDL, nothing further. You can't train everyone for everything in trucking. Once the Veteran receives his CDL it's up to him or her to figure out what they want to do, thats the great thing about being free, you can make up your own mind what you want to do. Most people (Vets) do not have access to trucks and training to get a CDL w/out help. Schools are like trucking companies, most bad, some good. With all the Vets that are returning now and into 2014 every option should be on the table to help them. In 1969 when I was discharged there was nothing or nobody to help the Vet, you had to know someone in the trucking industry to get a job. I for one am glad to see business's get involved.

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
I don't understand what you are refering to "Vets deserve better remark." If a Veterans wants a CDL the only way 99% of them will get one is through a school. What's wrong with that? The VA will pay for that with the "Post 911 Bill." Most trucking companies recruit from CDL schools and train them further with hiring. Schools are only designed for a student to get a CDL, nothing further. You can't train everyone for everything in trucking. Once the Veteran receives his CDL it's up to him or her to figure out what they want to do, thats the great thing about being free, you can make up your own mind what you want to do. Most people (Vets) do not have access to trucks and training to get a CDL w/out help. Schools are like trucking companies, most bad, some good. With all the Vets that are returning now and into 2014 every option should be on the table to help them. In 1969 when I was discharged there was nothing or nobody to help the Vet, you had to know someone in the trucking industry to get a job. I for one am glad to see business's get involved.

The difference with expediting and OTR trucking companies is new drivers can come right of an approved school and get in a straight truck . Some carriers don't even require a school or experience . I've reading trucking forums for several years . Over 80% of trucking school graduates will leave the industry within a year . The over 100% turnover rate in OTR confirms that . You know all the drivers don't quit . Most likely 75% of the drivers stay in the trucks . A carrier with 12,000 trucks will keep 9,000 drivers . 12,000 newbies will come and go .
It really irritates me to see government funding to go to training someone with the odds against them . I advise anyone seeking a career change to avoid OTR trucking which is where 95% of CDL school graduate end up .

BigCat

Expert Expediter
The thing with OTR training companies is they make trainees drive 4 to 6 weeks at $300 a week actually serving as cheap team drivers . Then they get pushed to be lease/operators and most of them end up thousands of dollars in debt .
There are good semi jobs but mostly for drivers with several years experience .

I have had checks that size expediting. Many companies start training pay at $450-$600 a week. They offer the license and training while still getting paid. Maybe they can do better but maybe they want to do this.

Expedite is so sketchy at least with general freight there is plenty of loads.

BigCat

Expert Expediter
The difference with expediting and OTR trucking companies is new drivers can come right of an approved school and get in a straight truck . Some carriers don't even require a school or experience . I've reading trucking forums for several years . Over 80% of trucking school graduates will leave the industry within a year . The over 100% turnover rate in OTR confirms that . You know all the drivers don't quit . Most likely 75% of the drivers stay in the trucks . A carrier with 12,000 trucks will keep 9,000 drivers . 12,000 newbies will come and go .
It really irritates me to see government funding to go to training someone with the odds against them . I advise anyone seeking a career change to avoid OTR trucking which is where 95% of CDL school graduate end up .

Maybe they don't want to drive straight truck. You know when I left straight truck week or so ago I went from making $.24 cpm to $.42 in a t/t.

Still not sure why you think expedite is better. Maybe your one of the ones that the odds were against?

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter

That's true if the company will hire them. Very few new people getting into trucking don't have a clue what Expedite means much less driving for them. It is true the national average for a new driver to remain in the trucking industry is 5 yrs. It's a rough way of life and getting worse everyday. I've said it before and I'll say it again that the expedite industry could take advantage of the returning vets and get a good group of people into expediting and training them their way. It's a lot easier to take your wife along in an expedite truck than a TT unless shes also driving. But again the grass always looks greener on the otherside and I want top pay from the start mentallity. OTR trucking companies are their own worst enemy. Investors want more money so they expand their fleet. Well more trucks and less drivers mean a driver shortage. More trucks sitting at truckstops waiting on freight. Another reason that the bid process has hurt carriers. Companies are relying less on a Sales team to create customers and freight. No more knowing your customer, its all about money but they still want service. That's changing, some companies are seeing the value of face to face contact between carrier and customer. It's easy for a driver to have answers to difficult questions, after all they have plenty of time to think, but if they were on the otherside they would see it's a different world.

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
Maybe they don't want to drive straight truck. You know when I left straight truck week or so ago I went from making $.24 cpm to $.42 in a t/t.

Still not sure why you think expedite is better. Maybe your one of the ones that the odds were against?
No , I'm not one of the ones the odds are against . I would never work for a megacarrier . The training for some carriers is the traineee driving while the trainer logs his sleeper berth . Training companies train drivers then find excuses to terminate them and bill them thousands of dollars for the training and refuse to certify the training . Sometimes they throw in a negative DAC report .
60% of $1.20 a mile is $.72 a mile plus FSC . How does that reduce to $.20 a mile ?

BigCat

Expert Expediter
Not everyone pays the 60%. I drove for 3 owners and was paid on the 40% side. I'm not sure why you believe the majority of owners give 60%.

Hmm I went through company paid training and owe nothing. Infact when I left I didn't get a bill or here anything from them. If you screw up while employed every company will terminate you. Not just truckload but expedite too

paullud

Veteran Expediter
No , I'm not one of the ones the odds are against . I would never work for a megacarrier . The training for some carriers is the traineee driving while the trainer logs his sleeper berth . Training companies train drivers then find excuses to terminate them and bill them thousands of dollars for the training and refuse to certify the training . Sometimes they throw in a negative DAC report .
60% of $1.20 a mile is $.72 a mile plus FSC . How does that reduce to $.20 a mile ?

Where have you heard about all these drivers getting fired for made up reasons?

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

butterfly610

Veteran Expediter
I don't think the companies are training people and then terminating them. I think it's more along the lines of a lot of drivers end up quitting. Trucking is a hard lifestyle to some, and they don't realize how hard it might be to be away from their families, work the odd hours, etc....There is a high turnover in expedite as well because drivers aren't used to sitting such long periods of time. All it takes is listening to drivers of any kind at truck stops. All they seem to do is gripe about their company. It's easy to get caught up in thinking the grass is greener somewhere else, and many of them just job hop.

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
Where have you heard about all these drivers getting fired for made up reasons?

Not necessarily for made up but petty . One trainee brush the mirror of the truck next to him with his trailer . No damage but the trainer reported him and he was gone . Trainers know rejected drivers mean more trainees needed . I've been reading trucker forums since they first appeared on the internet . Too many cases have been confirmed , especially lease/operators taking company training then bailing out a few months later to keep from going further in debt .

BigCat

Expert Expediter
You've been reading trucking forums? That doesn't mean anything. Do you know how many people get on there bad mouthing companies that fired them and they always believe they did nothing wrong but the company is faulted for being a scum company.

moose

Veteran Expediter
. All they seem to do is gripe about their company. It's easy to get caught up in thinking the grass is greener somewhere else, and many of them just job hop.
i don't know, we have 4 skateboard truckers here, all tried the Expedite gig, and all do VERY well out there, ALL will recommend their carrier to any expediter.
i'v been with my carrier for almost 2 years, and can't seem to find NOTHING wrong with them. it is EXTREMELY hard to find a trucker here that will say anything but the very best about our carrier.

BigCat

Expert Expediter
While I've only been at my new company going on 2 weeks, so far they have been more than good to me. I try to get where I'm going at night and get my 10 hour break and every day have been reloaded before 9 am. Even ran out of my 70 hours the first week and did 3600 miles at $.42 cpm. I'm going nowhere anytime soon.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Not necessarily for made up but petty . One trainee brush the mirror of the truck next to him with his trailer . No damage but the trainer reported him and he was gone . Trainers know rejected drivers mean more trainees needed . I've been reading trucker forums since they first appeared on the internet . Too many cases have been confirmed , especially lease/operators taking company training then bailing out a few months later to keep from going further in debt .

I believe that those stories are bogus. I was hanging out with a new guy from Schneider that forgot about the off track of the trailer and hit a pole/fence. He damaged the pole, fence, rim, and tire. He just had to go back to PA for a safety course, this was his first solo trip. I believe the training programs are usually garbage and the carriers know that so they do make exceptions for minor accidents.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
i don't know, we have 4 skateboard truckers here, all tried the Expedite gig, and all do VERY well out there, ALL will recommend their carrier to any expediter.
i'v been with my carrier for almost 2 years, and can't seem to find NOTHING wrong with them. it is EXTREMELY hard to find a trucker here that will say anything but the very best about our carrier.

I love my company and wouldn't leave unless something drastic changed. There are a couple of things I would like to see streamlined but I am not sure that they could be, but the owner is a phone call away, no hold time. They have me well on my way to getting my own truck and have offered assistance.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Isn't it funny the drivers who stay 10-20-30 yrs with a company are never heard complaining. The more they complain the more jobs they have. Now there's something to think about.

Have a great Thanksgiving and give thanks for the job. :cool:

mike6784

Active Expediter
These cdl mills do hire students and fire them or push them to quit . They get money for every student they put through school and hire kind of like a grant I believe .