Ready for hazmat changes?

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I do not know if indendent owner-operators will be required to take this newly mandated training. If we do, it sounds like the training will take the form of an online course that can be completed in an hour or two.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I was in Green for 6 hours of Blo & Glo training this month. I don't remember anything new.
I heard months ago that placards are going to be slightly smaller. Such a minor difference that most people won't notice.

moose

Veteran Expediter
I'll save you the training:
it's Diesel.
it's liquid.
if you see me running away- try to catch up!

moose

Veteran Expediter
I do not know if indendent owner-operators will be required to take this newly mandated training. If we do, it sounds like the training will take the form of an online course that can be completed in an hour or two.
Wanna bet they'll ask for our personal data?{& fail to protect it}, but then they will not have a way to verify we took it, during a road side inspection?

aimeejos

Active Expediter
The article says training must be done by Dec. 1,2013. If this applied to us FedEx CC would have been all over it! Maybe a future "phase" will apply???

paullud

Veteran Expediter
The article says training must be done by Dec. 1,2013. If this applied to us FedEx CC would have been all over it! Maybe a future "phase" will apply???

You might find you get a training on it soon because it applies to pretty much everyone.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management
The changes are in HazCom which is the communication standard of Hazmat. Basically they have changed the name os MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheets) to SDS (Safety Data Sheets), changed the format of the SDS to a 16 field standardized type form and also started the implementation of GHS (Globally Harmonized System) of labeling so that shipments form participating countries utilize the same labels on hazardous materials.

Quick training in a nutshell.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
The changes are in HazCom which is the communication standard of Hazmat. Basically they have changed the name os MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheets) to SDS (Safety Data Sheets), changed the format of the SDS to a 16 field standardized type form and also started the implementation of GHS (Globally Harmonized System) of labeling so that shipments form participating countries utilize the same labels on hazardous materials.

Quick training in a nutshell.

CSA rule 1 point demerit for smoking within 25 feet of HM truck!

BigRed32771

Expert Expediter
I haven't heard much about the changes coming up for hazmat but it seems from this article that everyone needs to be trained even if you don't haul hazmat because of the fuel in your tanks.

New Hazmat Training and Labeling Rule Goes Into Effect December 1 | CDLLife

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

I checked with hazmat dept at Landstar and they are familiar with this, but... It is an OSHA regulation on workplace safety, not a DOT rule for commercial conveyance of hazardous materials. At this point it doesn't appear to change anything related to what we do now, other than maybe be aware of the new labels and how they relate to what the DOT hazmat labels. BTW, it could well be that both labels are required for transport, the new OSHA for the guys that load our trucks, and the old DOT labels for transporting on the truck commercially. Wait and see.