read messages

TonyG

Seasoned Expediter
I was wondering if anyone else is having this trouble. after I read new messages and come back to see on main page there are new messages in each forum, but only to see I have already read those posts. I do have cookies enabled??

dcalien

Seasoned Expediter
I use Firefox and do not have that problem. Of course, my Mom told me I was special.

TonyG

Seasoned Expediter
I think my problem was, I was just closing my browser and not logging out, when I log out everything is just fine.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I sometimes have a problem when I come here to find entire threads just gone, poof, and some times I have postings in those threads, yet there was no message left behind as to why my post, much less the thread, was deleted, nor did I get the courtesy of a PM to let me know that my post was being deleted. This is especially troubling when I know that my post could in no way be construed as violating the Code of Conduct in any way, shape or form.

I half way expect this post to be deleted, too, 'cause it doesn't violate the Code of Conduct, either.

dcalien

Seasoned Expediter
I sometimes have a problem when I come here to find entire threads just gone, poof, and some times I have postings in those threads, yet there was no message left behind as to why my post, much less the thread, was deleted, nor did I get the courtesy of a PM to let me know that my post was being deleted. This is especially troubling when I know that my post could in no way be construed as violating the Code of Conduct in any way, shape or form.

I half way expect this post to be deleted, too, 'cause it doesn't violate the Code of Conduct, either.

A censor is a man who has seen something he thinks you shouldn't.

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member

Me thinks I know what thread you would speaking of - the thread I started. I did move it to our "TRUCK WASH FORUM" for obvious reasons....

But I really wanted it to stay because your post at the end was right on target. :eek:

dcalien

Seasoned Expediter
Me thinks I know what thread you would speaking of - the thread I started. I did move it to our "TRUCK WASH FORUM" for obvious reasons....

But I really wanted it to stay because your post at the end was right on target. :eek:

OK, I give up. Where is the truck wash forum? I don't have the skills I need to find it.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
That's the loophole. If posts or threads are edited or deleted, a note is to be left behind stating the reason for the edits. But a post or thread may be moved to a "more appropriate forum" at any time for any reason. In this case, the thread wasn't actually deleted, but rather merely mooooved to a more appropriate forum, The Truck Wash Forum, so there. Since moderators are the only ones with access to that forum, it effectively deletes the thread without actually deleting it.

I'm still at a loss as to why the Truck Wash is a more appropriate forum for the thread, versus leaving it alone or deleting it outright. Apparently, moderators are the only ones worthy of certain knowledge, thus the more appropriate forum, and us mere peasants should be thankful for what we have. If that's not the case, the thread should have been left alone, or deleted and noted, and then we move on.

Have you ever had your say on the telephone and then just hung up on the other person without so much as a goodbye? You're telling them that what you have to say is important, but what they have to say to you is irrelevant, and by extension so are they. Ever delete a post from a forum? Same thing. I take my thoughts and words seriously, as well as the time and effort to post them, and it can only be taken as a personal affront when they are so easily dismissed and deleted. Someone hangs up on me more than once, and pretty soon I'll just quit talking to them at all. Why bother?

All I ask here is that a note be left behind, or a PM be sent. That's it. And I don't think that's being unreasonable, as that, it seems to me, goes directly to #2 on the Code of Conduct Hit Parade.