Re:Tolls

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Re: Tolls

My carrier says they will reimburse me for tolls. Most times I have to ask, but sometimes it is offered as an incentive to take a load. Kinda like being offered the coveted first out. I have on occasion submitted the toll receipts and jumped through the proper procedural hoops, but have never been reimbursed. My carrier will show me an estimated $30 toll reimbursement for a load that actually incurs maybe $3.50 in tolls. Although I have no proof, mostly because I have never been reimbursed for toll costs I have submitted, it is my guess that any toll reimbursement would appear as income on my 1099. Much like a fuel surcharge is listed as income on a 1099.

I suspect that my carrier and others that reimburse tolls to the O/Os as income on a 1099 are doing a double dip of sorts; claiming tolls/inflated tolls as reimbursements to contractors as income to the contractor and then using tolls as a corporate tax deduction. Similar to fuel surcharges that are not paid in full directly to the person buying the fuel.

Personally I have no problem with not getting reimbursed for tolls. I occasionally put in for toll reimbursement in hopes of leaving some kind of record of my carrier's possible malfeasance. I do have and do submit on my schedule C, receipts for all business related tolls paid by me. Even if I was to get reimbursed for paid tolls, I would still claim them as a deduction because I'm sure any reimbursement would appear as income on my 1099.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

Moot..exactly my thinking....I don't know how Load 1 deals with tolls, as in if they appear as income or not, but sure can find out....tolls refunded should be income neutral?

The last thing I need is more income, and lose the toll deductions....

I chose to deduct the tolls and reduce my tax liability....personally it works out better for me, but may not for the next person...

usafk9

Veteran Expediter

I chose to deduct the tolls and reduce my tax liability....personally it works out better for me, but may not for the next person...

I'm curious to know why you think that benefits you.

This whole "drive less, make more/how much you run for" crap means nothing......

IF YOU DON'T KNOW HOW MUCH YOU"RE KEEPING.

Hope I wasn't unclear.

usafk9

Veteran Expediter

Fair enough. When I return from your home and native land (probably tomorrow), I'll show you why you're shortchanging yourself.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy

No 1, If you enjoy toll roads and like all the he said ,she said, then check out the search section where this has been beat to death for years. No 2, click the selection on your GPS thats says, AVOID TOLL ROADS. No 3, Ask a CPA, No 4, SPIKE JONES - 1920s Medley - YouTube this is what I hear.

usafk9

Veteran Expediter

I am so peeved right now. Made a huge response, only to be booted off by EO.

Sorry for the delay. Apparently, my Canuck truck only likes breaking down and getting hit in the North Country.

Regarding whether or not you're getting them added into your income on your 1099 or not, IT SHOULD BE ADDED. Even if it's not, if you turn it in for reimbursement, and do get reimbursed, you need to report it as business income.

Here is why you're porking yourself, OVM - I'm gonna simplify things to make them real easy to understand.

Let's say you and I, driving similar vehicles, end up in the same town (God help us). We both get runs delivering in the same town, 1,000 miles away. We both accept our respective loads, and they each pay $1.00/mile (just for simplification). Let's also assume that we get identical fuel economy, and our fuel costs $200 each for this run. Lastly, using your previous example, we are each tolled $65. I turn mine in; you don't. I know we have other expenses, but am keeping this real easy.

AJ/ OVM
Revenue $1,065 (run plus toll reimbursement)/ $1,000 (run)
Expenses $265 (fuel, tolls) / $265 fuel, tolls
Leftover $800-AJ/ $735-OVM

That leftover amount is called EBITDA, or Earnings Before Income Taxes, Depreciation, Amortization. We each report all of the above to the KGB, I mean, Infernal Revenue Service as written, REGARDLESS OF WHAT THE CARRIER REPORTS TO THEM.

Now, let's say we both pay 15% income tax. My tax on $800 is $120. Your tax on $735 is $110.25.

CONGRATULATIONS! YOU WON! YOU "REDUCED YOUR TAX BILL"! (those are your words......not trying to rub salt in the scab I'm about to peel off, but it's important you understand this distinction............

Oops........wait.......here's a problem. While you 'reduced your tax liability', (you did just that), my $800 minus my $120 tax bill leaves me with $680 to buy groceries, pay personal bills, entertain ourselves, whatever. Your $735 minus $110.25 leaves you with $624.75. That means I'm walking around with $55.25 than you are, for the same run.

I hope this is crystal clear. I hope you stop listening to morons who tell you to not take the reimbursement. I hope that the person that prepares your taxes is not one of them. I hope that if they are, you're firing them today.

I hope I wasn't unclear. It's a bear trying to simulate a spreadsheet on this web forum thingy.

Trailblazer

Expert Expediter

You're all making this more complicated than it really is.

If are seeking a reimbursement from your carrier for a toll that you paid for and your carrier paid you back, it is revenue neutral and not an expense to you. It should not be included as income on your 1099. It is an expense or cost of business to the carrier and should be part of their business expense and tax reporting.

If it is included on you 1099, your carrier is incorrectly recording revenue and should re-issue a 1099 to you.

However, if your carrier is "paying" you a flat rate to cover tolls on a load it will be included on your 1099 as income and you should expense it on your Schedule C with proper reciepts.

If you are not receiving a re-imbursement from your carrier, it is an expense to you and should be included as an expense on your Schedule C as a business expense.

Jim

usafk9

Veteran Expediter

You're all making this more complicated than it really is.

If are seeking a reimbursement from your carrier for a toll that you paid for and your carrier paid you back, it is revenue neutral and not an expense to you. It should not be included as income on your 1099. It is an expense or cost of business to the carrier and should be part of their business expense and tax reporting.

If it is included on you 1099, your carrier is incorrectly recording revenue and should re-issue a 1099 to you.

However, if your carrier is "paying" you a flat rate to cover tolls on a load it will be included on your 1099 as income and you should expense it on your Schedule C with proper reciepts.

If you are not receiving a re-imbursement from your carrier, it is an expense to you and should be included as an expense on your Schedule C as a business expense.

Jim

Not complicated....I agree. Has been discussed ad nauseum in another post, but it needed to be spelled out.

However, I do not agree with you on the 1099 part. If the carrier pays/reimburses/gives money for.......whatever, it is income to the contractor. Correct in that it is revenue neutral if the O/O is paid and incurs those exact charges. However, in our case, if we get paid tolls and opt to take a non-tolled road, it's income.

Trailblazer

Expert Expediter

There is a difference between "pays" and "reimburses". As I stated, if your carrier "pays" tolls without a reciept it is not a reimbursement and is considered income and should be included as income on your 1099 and expensed on your Schedule C.

Jim

zorry

Veteran Expediter
My point:
I pay toll.
Carrier reimburses me.
We are neutral.
THEN Carrier puts it on 1099.
So,I deduct from my taxes. That's easier than trying to get carrier to change 1099.
Am I OK ?

Fkatz

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member

Thanks,Boss

Hi All,

I have been out of the office with IRS updates since the Expo, and since this is a Major topic, it should be as follows.

1. If you turn in the receipts to be reimbursed, then is or will be included in Income on your 1099's. and the tolls are not deductible at all

2. If you keep the ORIGINALS*, and turn in copies with your bills, then they are 100% deductible to you due to you can prove that you paid those tolls.
You also have to remember that certain Toll Receipts and fuel receipts Fade out from Heat and other conditions. This is due to them being printed on Thermo Paper. So, Also make copies for yourself. If you are audited for tolls, the IRS will accept copies. but it does not hurt to have the originals.

I know everyone has a different definitition of what is or is not deductible as to tolls. If you have E-pass, Fl. SunPass, yes!, Others, Com-data, TCH, ACH, and other bank charges, 80% of your Cell phone unless it is used 100% strickly for business, (No Personal Calls)

I cannot give you every item that is tax deductible in this message, but you can request a Deductible listing from me any time.

Frank’s Tax and Business Service
120 York Rd
Kings Mountain, NC 28086-3151
(704) 739-4039 Fax: (704) 739-3934
e-mail: [email protected]
Web Site: File Your Return Online
Franklin Katz, ATP, PA, PB,

Providing Professional Accounting,
Bookkeeping,Payroll and Income Tax Preparation Services

Circular 230 Disclaimer – Any tax advice in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, by any taxpayer for the purpose of avoiding related

penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (2) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or tax
related matters addressed herein.