Re: Sprinter and the backyard mechanic

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Piper, is the assyst system a bit different for the NA market than the EU market? I may be wrong but heard that it is functioning like the prior 2007 models.

MB considers North Americans to lazy and incompetent to use correct oils, our engines run a higher rate of EGR than the EU, and we do have lousy fuel compared to the EU.

Therefore, the ASSYST is pre set for 16,100 km (10,000 miles) and that's it. I guess to make it simple, they just for go the whole algorithm thing, as I have never seen mine ever count anything more or less than 16,100 km right on the nose. Some US drivers think it is counting special because the displayed number does not alway correspond to mileage driven exactly, remember, it counts in 100 km chunks.

There are reset menu's for the lower spec oil (std is MB228.51, 31 is for MB229.31, and 51 is for MB229.51) but they all reset the same miles and behave the same way.

BTW, the comment about CJ-4 add packs....the 07 up approved oils have much less CJ-4 style add pack than CJ-4 oils. They start with lower TBN,s and deplete more rapidly than a CJ-4. The big thing with the V-6 is shear at high temps (oxidation). I run Valvoline specifically because it is the highest TBN 229.51 oil I can find and it seems to burn off less between changes (none as opposed to 2 qt with the Mobil).

Last edited:

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Why don't you reset it?
Because if it's stuck at 9,999 it must be broken (no movement ..... ;))

FWIW, once you exceed the ASSYST recommendation and fail to reset it, the counter still should work and continue counting - it's just that it starts counting up in negative numbers.

I once reset the ASSYST on one of the kid's T1N's ...... it was sitting at (minus) -4X,XXX something .....

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
It is just stopped..and I can not reset it..I am too stupid or my fingers are too fat....gee how many times do I have to say it...:rolleyes:

I'll have my tech reset it next month to prove it ain't broke...*L*

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
It is just stopped..and I can not reset it ... I am too stupid or my fingers are too fat ....
...... or just too impatient :p ...... which is my son's problem - after trying it a couple of times and not getting the correct timing to achieve the result, he was ready to pull his hair out and threw in the towel ....:rolleyes:

Me, I'd much rather master something I set out to do .... rather than have it master me ..... :p

It still occasionally takes me multiple tries though .....

gee how many times do I have to say it...
.... once more, just for the record :p

I'll have my tech reset it next month to prove it ain't broke...*L*
We're all waiting with baited breath .....

HUBEE16

Expert Expediter
I have found the correct Mobil 1 ESP Formula M at 3 different Pep Boys in the Atlanta area for $6.99 a quart but the problem (unless they have changed in the last 2 months) is they started stocking it and considered it a high dollar item for inventory purposes and only stock 12 qts. so not enough to complete an oil change. For drivers in the Atlanta area, they can get the same oil at MB South off Flat Shoals RD. SE of the airport for $6.13. Just let rthem knoe you are a sprinter owner and they'll give you the discount.