Re: Sprinter and the backyard mechanic

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Now turned 504,000...

I don't tinker, I don't try to create a better mouse trap.
Mercedes has been building engines for a long time.

I do the PM as required.
I use the appropriate fluids.

I only use OEM parts from the dealers.

There are way too many forgeries out there claiming to be Mopar original for 1/2 the price.

I have suffered very little unplanned downtime with this beastie.

I have suffered NO service failures for breakdowns.

other then the grey bottle power service I use no additives.

With results like this why would anyone want to tinker?

This is my second expedite van to achieve these miles with no major ongoing problems. My first Dodge 318 stills runs...

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
OVM, this is for you and others having success with your sprinter vans. I've been wanting to ask this question for a while now. Lots of the 2006 and older sprinter owners have had good luck with their vehicle. What vehicle will you get to replace this vehicle when the time comes? Do you expect to have the same fortune with a post-2006 Sprinter if you go that route?

eb

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
OVM, this is for you and others having success with your sprinter vans. I've been wanting to ask this question for a while now. Lots of the 2006 and older sprinter owners have had good luck with their vehicle. What vehicle will you get to replace this vehicle when the time comes? Do you expect to have the same fortune with a post-2006 Sprinter if you go that route?

eb

We have had phone discussion about this very issue...

Turtle, Rlent, Steady, the Enemy...and at this point in time. We'd probably just drop a new engine in the the old one..
The 2010 engine is new, brand new...BUT with Mercedes record of building of engines there is a high level of trust.

For me personally the timing will be the deal maker...when this engine lets go, and it will. Just have to go by "feel" I suppose....

The Enemy

Veteran Expediter
Coming form a mechanic background I do like to tinker. But am limited when things break on the road just because of lack of tools and lack of a place to repair. The big stuff I let my mechanic take care of. Lets see, so far while out on the road I have personally replaced the shocks and struts, 2 belt tensioners, 3 belts, 2 sets of pulleys, an alternator, fuel filters and oil changes. While at home I have done the brakes, a few rear end flushes, coolant and power steering flushes and cleaning the O2 sensor numerous times.

As far as replacing this van, don't think I will. I will just replace the engine and tranny when the time comes to do it.

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Coming form a mechanic background I do like to tinker. But am limited when things break on the road just because of lack of tools and lack of a place to repair. The big stuff I let my mechanic take care of. Lets see, so far while out on the road I have personally replaced the shocks and struts, 2 belt tensioners, 3 belts, 2 sets of pulleys, an alternator, fuel filters and oil changes.

As far as replacing this van, don't think I will. I will just replace the engine and tranny when the time comes to do it.

Those are the basic parts...unlike the inner workings of the Mercedes computer system and drive train components.

The Enemy

Veteran Expediter
Those are the basic parts...unlike the inner workings of the Mercedes computer system and drive train components.

Thats why I said that I let my mechanic take care of the hard stuff. If the Sprinter wasn't my bread and butter, I wouldn't have a problem going more in depth with my repairs. But I would rather take it to the mechanic since I know he is completely knowledgeable about the vehicle and has all the tools needed to perform the repair in a very timely manner. That way we are back out running and not sitting at home in the driveway tinkering. If I know I don't have the time to do something I will just take it to him and he will take care of it.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
OVM,
The unfortunate thing people perceive the sprinter as this complex piece of machinery that is beyond understanding. It isn't like a GT-R or some sort of high tech super car where the logic behind it is baffling even to those who built the car. In fact of course it is like a lot of other Mercedes which once you get beyond the basics but also more past the important whys, it is not hard to work on any component of the sprinter.

I already had me hands into one a while back, noting the most difficult thing was to get the right tool to do the job. The sprinter was worked on in a driveway, don't need much room surprisingly.

If I had a choice between a sprinter and a GM or Ford, I would take the sprinter. Even a used one.

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Great comments.....try owning a 2007 and up. The economical advantage gets a lot slimmer.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Piper,
What's the biggest issue outside of mileage with a 2007 compared to the prior years?

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The biggest pain is the aftermarket has not caught up with parts availability yet. This is exaggerated as the new vans (like a lot of new stuff) have a lot of parts that you cannot service or maintain...you just replace.

Need Ball Joints? Buy a whole control arm ($4-600 each)
Wheel Bearings Loose? Buy a whole hub
Need a U-Joint? Buy a whole driveshaft

Nothing is greaseable..all sealed for "life".

Brake parts, filters, motor oil (slowly), and things like wipers and lights are now available, things like shocks, steering parts etc are available at some specialty outfits but the costs are only marginally better than a good dealer price. There are on line retailers too...but the hassle of shipping home (and going to get it) for the prices offered is not always feasible.

Fuel Mileage in the 07 up is actually very do able. Now that we are getting off winter fuel I am back up to averaging 21.7 mpg and will run around 22.8 to 23.5 for the summer average.

Also, the emission control system on the 07-09's is very weak and can get expensive if you don't follow the fluid rules religiously. I have...and have replaced nothing, but, I also have an occasional EGR hiccup that I have just learned to live with as I feel that the cost to repair will not result in any real improvement.

If I had a choice between a BlueTec 2010 and a 2008, I'd pick the 2010.

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
The 2010's are back to the Mobile 1 0W40 blend...

seems the drive shafts are the same, mine the U-joints are not serviceable either...nothing greaseable I know of...

Guess I may take a look at the 2012 model IF Mercedes doesn't do a change up yet again...they seem to be on a 2 year cycle of changes...

greg334

Veteran Expediter
The drive shaft thing was puzzling but I guess there is a "balancing issue" - ??

I know of one owner who had yokes and drive shafts modified to take some 'merican spicer joints, it seems to be working well for her. I don't have the details but I can't see what it would hurt to have it done.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
The drive shaft thing was puzzling but I guess there is a "balancing issue" - ??

I know of one owner who had yokes and drive shafts modified to take some 'merican spicer joints, it seems to be working well for her. I don't have the details but I can't see what it would hurt to have it done.

I guess they just don't want us piece mealing a shaft together mixing old with the new...It is a long drive shaft, any misalignment could cause problems...maybe like you said a balance issue..

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
OVM...the 2010 diesel still requires a MB229.51 oil. The 0W40 commonly available is not approved. It must be Mobil 1 ESP 0W40 to be approved. Have not run across it yet at retail.

Greg, the driveshaft is just the way it is, a component designed to speed the assembly process and live long enough for the warranty to fade, after that MB does not care, it ain't their dime.

If your friend has an 07 up, I would be very curious as to what they used, the yokes are awfully tiny and thin. There are some out there who are offering solutions...and they are priced about 10% below dealer list. Mine when it goes again (1st under warranty) will be completely replaced with a custom made shaft with a flange to mate up a common yoke to the MB trans and axle flanges.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
OVM...the 2010 diesel still requires a MB229.51 oil. The 0W40 commonly available is not approved. It must be Mobil 1 ESP 0W40 to be approved. Have not run across it yet at retail.

Greg, the driveshaft is just the way it is, a component designed to speed the assembly process and live long enough for the warranty to fade, after that MB does not care, it ain't their dime.

If your friend has an 07 up, I would be very curious as to what they used, the yokes are awfully tiny and thin. There are some out there who are offering solutions...and they are priced about 10% below dealer list. Mine when it goes again (1st under warranty) will be completely replaced with a custom made shaft with a flange to mate up a common yoke to the MB trans and axle flanges.

What? 2 different 0w40's? European blend right? Thats what mine says..

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Piper, it is a 2006, she wants to buy a 2011 but when ... who knows. She has been driving for some owner with a 2010 for the last few weeks doing this expediting thing.

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
What? 2 different 0w40's? European blend right? Thats what mine says..

Yes...2 different blends. The "Euro" blend you have will foul the DPF (still on a 2010). Proper 0W40 is Mobil ESP. 07 and up all use the same oil. Basically if it doesn't say MB229.51 on the bottle, she's a no good!

aileron

Expert Expediter
We have had phone discussion about this very issue...

Turtle, Rlent, Steady, the Enemy...and at this point in time. We'd probably just drop a new engine in the the old one..

You can add me to that list also. I've got 335k, and will never get rid of it unless I wreck it. I want to get to 1,000,000 miles. Still a few years away though.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
You can add me to that list also. I've got 335k, and will never get rid of it unless I wreck it. I want to get to 1,000,000 miles. Still a few years away though.

There is not a darned thing wrong with the 5 banger...parts are easy to get...great fuel mileage...

aileron

Expert Expediter
There is not a darned thing wrong with the 5 banger...parts are easy to get...great fuel mileage...

Now, if they bring the 4 banger here coupled with a manual transmission, regretfully I would have to get rid of my current one. What are the chances of that happening?