RE: Panther2 Rumour #1

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hey team..JuJU and I were in the Detrioter yesterday ( our 2nd home of late )and bumped into this guy who was reseaching expediting, he was recently talking to a Panther2 recruiter and was told they are NOT looking for more van drivers at this time!

If true I know this is good news you you Panther people.

P.S. Larry I'll have the info on the Dynamex picnic as soon as I get it!
still scheduled for the 17th Aug

harpo

Expert Expediter
Having worked for Panther II as I have until recently, I can speak with some knowledge. I understand that they are recommending that their van operators upgrade to 24' straight trucks. In fact, there is talk that tractor/trailer drivers have been encouraged to downgrade to straight trucks. It seems they cannot satisfy their demand for straight truck drivers. Having been one of their tractor/ trailer drivers, I can tell you this wouldn't be a bad move. I would estimate that roughly a third of the freight i was offered before I left was straight truck freight. In fact, if as a t/t driver with Panther you are finding that you are having trouble getting loads, or are finding you are sitting between loads, be flexible. Accept an occasional straight truck load. It will still pay better per mile than 90 percent of o/o are making driving for other carriers FYIitis rumored that Schneider has made a bid for Panther II, and there are negotiations underway. This is the reason why Panther's safety offices were built so close to the Schneider complex in Seville, OH.
It was planned that Panther II would become the expedited branch of Schneider.

harpo

Expert Expediter
This is the reason why Panther II has raised their bar on pro (or load ) acceptance.....They will shortly make every load assignment mandatory, this in keeping with what Schneider expects of their drivers.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
With Panther or any other company, it will only matter if you have some consistancy of profitable runs. There are numerous posts in here dealing with load acceptance. We try to follow those pretty closely. We don't pay any attention to acceptance ratios ect. All of the companies are starved for trucks so I don't see why one would worry about it. People are making references to Schneider buying Panther but I haven't seen any developments on this. That concept has been discussed for two years now and nothing so far has happened.

bigguy1001

Expert Expediter
I get so tired of these rumors. Panther is not for sale. Never has been, never will be. Trust me, I know. And Panther has, in the last week, begun to recruit cargo vans again. There is the truth, have the good sense to believe it.