Random drug screen testing?

soundfx4

Active Expediter
To be perfectly honest, I couldn't find a section that was 100% appropriate for this topic that I could post in (the carrier section actually looked appropriate since I'm asking about different carriers, but I can't post in there) so this was, what I believe, to be the next best thing because recruiters generally know this stuff! I apologize if this is the wrong section completely.

Do all carriers (expedite and non) do random drug screening tests? I had thought this was a DOT thing, but I worked for schneider for almost a year without a single random test. I haven't even been with panther for 6 months and just got my second. I can't imagine this is a coincidence and this is annoying and infuriating to me (especially since I haven't touched a single drug in my life, doesn't matter that it's random, it's still insulting to me...and yes I know that makes no sense). Are there any carriers that dont' do random drug screen testing, or if they do, they only do it on your home time when I wouldn't have to call a cab and be woken up while I'm still sleeping?

Thanks!

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It is a D.O.T. rule. I have been with Panther for six years and have had two randoms. Nine years with my previous carrier netted two randoms. It is suppose to be a luck of the draw thing, I never got the call while under load and never when sitting out in the boonies. I'm in a van so it isn't that big of a deal for me. Although it does start my Panther Clock. Go buy yourself a bunch of lottery tickets!

moose

Veteran Expediter
A note found in the mans restrooms @ the NASA Houston space center :
"YOU GUYS ORCHESTRATED A PERFECT LANDING ON ANOTHER PLANET,
YOU CAN PINPOINT A MISSILE TO HIT A WINDOW 7,000 MILE AWAY,
YET YOU CANT EVEN HIT A 2 FOOT CIRCLE HALF WAY TO THE FLOOR"
- the cleaning lady.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Not saying this is your case. When i was with panther i witnessed on several occasions a driver go off on dispatch and next this.g you know they get a call. You have been selected for a random drug test.

Two occasions was the same driver he was a slow learner lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using EO Forums

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management
Soundfx4;

All carriers operating vehicles having GVW greater than 26,001 lb or more; or that have 3 axles or more; or that transport placardable quantities of hazardous materials are subject to the DOT testing rules. These rules mandate random testing at a minimum of 50%, and alcohol testing at 10% (of the drivers subject to the regulations within the fleet).

It is a matter of luck whether you are chosen or not. Each time randoms are conducted, ALL drivers subject to the regs must be in the testing pool. That means even though your name may have been pulled in the first quarter or month, it is placed back into each subsequent random pool throughout the year. If your carrier tests on a monthly basis, it is possible that your name could come up 12 times in the calendar year. If on a quarterly basis, you could be selected a maximum of 4 times.

If I were you, I'd buy some lottery tickets because my man Moot is never wrong! :)

tenntrucker

Expert Expediter
In the 1.5 years that I've been at Clark, been hit for 2 random test and both times I just happen to be at the office. Go figure on the chances of that happening......:confused:

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Brisco

Expert Expediter
Using "Schneider" as a comparison to Panther is like comparing who's better to lead America down the path to Prosperity......the Republicans or the Democrats. ;)

Like others have said.....it is a Luck of the Draw.....or "Drawing" when it comes to "Randoms". Just don't worry about it.....and go fill that cup up when they ask.

Think of it as being called in for Jury Duty.......It's something you have to live with.

soundfx4

Active Expediter
bah, so it's just the luck of the draw then >.<

I gotta say, I like that lottery ticket comment, and it definitely gave me a good laugh haha! And...I'm actually thinking about it :p sitting outside a wal-mart could go get some scratchers just for the hell of it. lol

zorry

Veteran Expediter
It's a big deal if you're a solo straight. You do have to log it. That can be inconvenient,costly,or restful if you get ten more hours rest afterwards.

Nothing you can do about it.
My wife questioned why she's had three while in the same period I've had none. I said because of her being a minority.
My brother told her "the word on the street is you're traveling around the county with some dope." The dope being me.

Last edited:

Freightdawg

Expert Expediter
My company is a part of a drug consortium. They do quarterly random drawings of all the member companies. I was drawn 3 quarters in a row. I probably had only been drawn 3 times in the previous10 years I have been employed here and not chosen in the last 6 quarters. That is just the luck of the draw. I have only had drug and alcohol once. The rest of the times it was drug only.

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
At our previous carrier we were chosen once a quarter for randoms for three years straight. I had the luxury of alcohol as well every quarter.

Nicks first one was the day after an incident with a dispatcher in which they didn't follow dispatching protocol and he called them out on it.