Raised roof

Chad

Expert Expediter
I was wondering if any of you know of a place that will install raised roofs on cargo vans? I just bought a new van and was considering raising the roof if it can be done for a good price. Thanks in advanced.

BigBusBob

Veteran Expediter
Driver
There's a place down in Pompano Beach, FL area that does them, can't think of name though. might look down in that area... otherwise try one of the many sleeper makers out there.

merkurfan

Expert Expediter
My van came with it. Afraid all I know is a place in Allentown did it. The previous owner had Bethlaham ford do all the work to it so I am sure they refered him to the company that did it.

Some advice on a raised roof. Go high enough to stand in it (or whats the point) have the rear doors raised too (or whats the point??)

Mine is gonna get the doors raised when things slow down. I've mesured twice, I will be 2 inches taller than a sprinter and 3 inches wider :D and 9 feet deep.

Of course I wll have to redo the wall in my sleeper because it only goes as high as the van doors. I am going to lose my huge storage shelf. :(

FlameMerc

Expert Expediter
Any Custom Van Coversion company will do the work. Yes, make it high enough to be worth your investment, Doors included. Drive Safely....Butch :D :D :D

mcbride

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
You might try here:

http://www.clockconversions.com/custom_conversions.htm

mcbride-
O/O-D unit-Team-6yrs
--What goes around comes around--
LEGAL NOTICE: The views and opinions expressed in this post are those held by the posting author and do not represent the views or opinions of Expediters Online.com, On Time Media, LLC, it's agents, subsidiaries, affiliates, advertisers or sponsors.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
I had my present and last roof installed at "osage van conversions" in Linn, MO. They are a bit pricey now and took longer than agreed; I won't go back. I had another van done at "Malibu" but they are now out of business. Expect to pay about $2000 for the installation and minor frills such as a partial liner. Door height extensions will be more for the roof style and even more for the door extensions. Companies that specialize in vans equipped for wheelchairs may be a good place to look for the latter type of roof.

Start your raised roof research by contacting the dealer from whom you bought your van. Most every large dealership sells converted vans through contract with one or more conversion companies. Your salesman might give you a contact name at a converion shop and you can go from there. I think you might be better at a small facility that does not do assembly-line work like the huge outfits in Elkhart, In. Specialty work like we want, might be a bit pricey at those shops. I've been told that "turtle top" of Elkhart has a good price on roofs.

If you want the taller doors only to increase cargo capacity oppportunities, I suggest you determine if your carrier will have enough tall cargo to justify the added cost. With FedEx Custom Critical, I'm guessing I loose less than one run a year because the freight is too tall to fit witout breaking down a pallet of cartons. When that's the case, I get dry run pay and am up next for the next load. If a taller load can be placed in the van, we only get van pay so we get no extra money for hauling tall freight.

Freight size/weight policies for vans differ from carrier to carrier; some pay more when vans carry bigger/heavier loads, but most of the larger carriers do not pay more.

Slightly off topic, but let's take a reality check here. When we van operators are willing to take "C" freight for "B" money, we lose in the long run. Van (B) loads were originally defined as two 4 foot cubes no heavier than 2000 lbs. As we were willing to take a little more, for the same money, the carriers stated redefining a "B" load, so that now they require us to take 2500 lbs for "B" money; one carrier is 3000 lbs. As more and more drivers are squeezing three pallets into a van, it's only a matter of time before 3 skids and 3000 lbs becomes the "B" standard. We'll get little or no more money for this added load requirement and our expenses will rise in proportion to the extra weight. Our vans will no longer last 5-600,000 miles so we'll have to replace them sooner.

Off my soap box now. So, Chad, get yourself a raised roof and enjoy it for the added creature comfort. Good luck with your search for the best one.

Terry

sunshinetomorow

Expert Expediter
sunshine to all you are right on about carriers wanting more for less and we stupid and i do mean stupid give in to them. perhaps if more drivers would wake up to the fact that heavier loads take a toll on their van and they are as you said NOT PAID FOR IT.

theoldprof

Veteran Expediter
The installation of a raised roof is not terribly difficult. If you have the balls to cut the top off your van. Line the fiberglass top with carpet, cut off the van top, set the fg top on the van, screw it down, add some gooey sealer, and you are ready. Raising the doors is another matter. Several years ago and friend and I converted several Ford vans to ambulance and wheel chair vans. If anybody is interested, contact me.

:+ :+

Marty

Veteran Expediter
Look a accubuiltmobility.com site. They do wheelchair conversions with a 32" raised roof option. Included are 58" high rear doors.
I believe they are located in Lima,Ohio.

kg

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Owner/Operator
SEEMS TO ME IT WOULD ALSO TAKE "BALLS" TO FACE THE PROSPECTS OF BEING INVOLVED IN AN ACCIDENT WITH ALL THE STRENGTH OF THE VANS' ROOF GONE.JUST SCREW AND GLUE A FIBERGLASS TOP ON, OH BOY.

JUST MY OPINION

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
KG:

I agree. I've considered that roof popping off on many occasions. The best way to get that roof put on is by a GM or Ford certified roofer. Each of the manufacturers require strength members welded to the sides (like support for a covered wagon cover) to maintain the OEM design integrity. The screws are fastened every inch around the perimeter and a serious caulk job is also protecting from rain entry.

roadapple

Expert Expediter
CHECK OUT TURTLE TOP. I THINK THEY'RE IN VALLEY FORGE, PA. NOT SURE IF THEY HAVE A WEBSITE. I THINK YOURE TALKIN 'BOUT $2K OR SO.