Racor Won't Prime after Filter Change

showtimes2

Rookie Expediter
I changed the fuel water separator yesterday and it wouldn't prime. I blew on the supply line and let it run back into the filter and filled it after doing this 3 times. The engine started after about 20 seconds of cranking. 7 hours later it cranked about 10 seconds before it started. It has always started almost immediately. The primer still has no "feel". I have been using Baldwin BF1329-0 and that is what I used this time. I couldn't get it off to check it without destroying it but it did go 300 miles last night with no power loss so I'm thinking the check valve or seal in the primer is bad?? Also is that the only fuel filter on this truck or is it even considered a filter? I couldn't find any other.
I had a Donaldson transmission filter start leaking on me last week at the seam where it was rolled together......right where it said "made in China". I noticed that this Baldwin fuel/water separator filter also says "made in China". I may not use either of these again. Thanks

JohnWC

Veteran Expediter
It could be the o ring or gasket has a very small leak that when pressure is on it it doesn't leak air back into the system

Reactions: Ragman

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Pull the fittings out of the filter head and look for debris. May also want to pull the supply elbow out of the tank and look for debris there. This is an exceedingly common problem.

I'd be very wary of any attempt to pressurize the fuel system to aid filter priming. Im mostly referring to the use of compressed air. It'll blow the shaft seal out of the injection pump. Same thing if you have a return line restriction.