Quick plug for good repair shop in Birmingham.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Had to give a quick plug for a good bunch of guys in Birmingham, AL.

Was rolling around town today, while on layover, and had that heartstopping engine stutter, and temporary loss of power. Been thru that before, so knew was clogged fuel filter.

Stopped in at

Southern Truck Center,
1203 Bankhead Highway,
Birmingham, AL 35204

205-226-0880

It's a smaller shop, just about 4 miles from the Flying J.

The owner Tim Walker, met me at the service counter, and his son-in-law Scott Liddell quickly checked out my van and agreed with my diagnosis.

Being a former Expediter, Tim knew I couldn't be down for long, and pulled a guy off another truck to get me in quickly.

Turns out we had a lot to talk about. A good quote, and Bible laying in the waiting room made me comment. Tim and Scott were Christians, and his nephew (also working on trucks) is a ministry student.

Now, of course, that has nothing to do with quality of service, but it sure did make the time fly by better for me to have good conversation with them!

They quickly got me going, and for a fair price. I left them some copies of Expedite Now for their waiting room of course LOL.. and they invited all Expediters to stop by if you need repairs in the area by some decent guys.

Not to get all philosophical and religious, but it really was a blessing, and I felt just maybe God led to me to someone who'd treat me right. 'I mean, what's the odds, nearly 600 miles from home, to find some like minded folks who can repair your vehicle while also providing a couple hrs of good conversation!

www.southerntruckcenter.com

Tell 'em Dale sent ya!

Dale

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
It's nice to see a favorable post about service far from home. This one I'll have to remember. Thanks Dale

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
There is a shop in Columbus called Narrow Way that is a Rigmaster service shop among other things. He's done very good work at reasonable rates when I've been nearby. Sounds like Birmingham is another to add to the list.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
With trucks, I know there's lot's of options, and pre-dictable rates, at authorized repair centers etc.

With a van, it's always been hit or miss... pay Ford Dealership prices...:eek:.. or take a chance on a smaller shop.
Tho, to be fair, I suppose they were a medium shop, :D.

Most truck stops, or 'big truck repair shops' won't do oil changes or fuel filter changes on my van.. don't have the stuff in stock, which makes no sense to me... seeing as how a lot of medium duty Internationals have the same 7.3 diesel engine. I just felt like I should stop at this one and check, instead of going to the Ford dealership down the street. I knew I had a shot when I saw a couple Ford Fleet trucks being worked on, including a tow truck and service truck.

I really wish Ford made those filters easier to change, like on a truck... but it's a 2 hr job with good tools.. definately not a side of the road, 90 degree day, type of job. Much better to pay them and sit in the air conditioning!

Dale

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Dale, it's not a 2 hour job. I've done it myself in less than that, and the Intl dealer that did most the work on my van could do it in 45 minutes.