Questions

Djcoak

Expert Expediter
I ahve been doing alot of research into the expedite freight industry and I have some questions. I am not trying to offend, put anyone down, or make any one or anybthing look bad but these are just some eyes looking in on things I can't figure out.

1. Pay
Why does expedite pay so little? Although it does pay more than OTR, not by much really. Making 1.15/mile or 60% or the gross or whatever is nuts! These companies are making I would be 3 or 4 times that a mile and they hardly pay the O/O anything. They really provide no different service than a OTR company, just a different niche. All they are doing is letting you run under thier authority and taking care of the paperword which in my eyes is not worth me losing out on a dollar a mile!!!!

2. Trucks
Ok if I own the truck and I am making the payments, should I be able to dictate what goes on it? Why do I as a business owner want to advertise for a company with thier big ugly stickers all over my truck? Now I understand that They do need thier name on it and DOT number and such but they don't need to stick stuff all over my box. Shouldn't I be allowed to put the name of MY business on there? When I had my OTR truck I had my company name on my truck and trailer and a samll portion on the sleeper box had the leased to info but that it you are LEASED to them, if they want to slather stickers on something let them buy thier own trucks!

3. Lifestyle
Ok this kinda confuses me. How is expedite a lifestyle and OTR not? Seems you are out for the same amount of time and sleeping in the same sort of equipment so other than the hours and miles run is there any huge difference? I understand you may sit more and thats cool since you then have time to actually go see some of the places you visit as opposed to the OTR guy who is running a million miles a week to make the payments, but a lifestyle? Thats a bit of a stretch. Now I do like the fact that you get more down time as I could use the time to do paperwork or play tourist or even finish up my degree online, but with the OTR companies I was with I could turn down loads and such as well if I needed to, but maybe not as often as expeditors.

These are the few questions I have. Realize I am mostly playing Devil's advocate here but they are what I think are legititmate questions. I just wonder if since it's such a small niche market if these companies feel you can't do this stuff on your own and want to take advantage of you.

Glen Rice

Veteran Expediter
1. I don't know who you think will pay 4 or 5 dollars a mile? If you have contacts that will pay that on average freight I suggest you start your own company. I have transported some great paying loads in the 4 dollar plus range and worked my butt off, and at first like you stated the pay should be in that range. The explanation was the specialized equipment that you may or may not know we have equiped our trucks with. Data logger, temp recorder, video taping of shipment..etc. Again if you can get that kind of $$, time to start your own company.
2.Big ugly stickers pay extra percentage and pride in your ride in company identity leaves a "positive impression" with my customers. If your not proud of what you do and who you do it with maybe trucking ain't for you?
3. Lifestyle..I've been on the road for 30 plus years and never enjoyed trucking more than I do today. My 40 foot truck takes me places my tractor/trailer never would allow me. When we go to the races and park on the track, that is pretty cool. I am a member of Family Motor Coach Assoc. You see where I'm going with this? It's like going camping and be paid 100's of thousands of dollars a year to do it!
Sounds like maybe this ain't gonna work for you, expediting is about attitude and sucess. I wish you luck and thanks again for the post.

Djcoak

Expert Expediter
Glen,
I don't want to portray a bad attitude I just think maybe the business owners, because thats what you are, should get a bigger pieve of the pie is all. I am just throwing things out as I try to understand how all the pieces of the puzzle fit.

As far as pride in the company you drive for, I have to disagree I guess. You drive for you, you are the company. I agree in taking pride. Take pride in your truck appearance and personal apprearance, attitide and driving record. We all know that alot of drivers in OTR don't have this pride and that is what attracts me to the Expeditor side of things. I guess I would fee that the business Owners should have the pride in thier business but not so much in the company they are leased to.

I look at it like this. You are providing a service to a company. You own the truck, make the payments and put in the long hours. It's you that provide the transportation to FedExCC or Tristate or whoever. You don't work for them but provide them with the ability to move freight from point A to point B. I would tend to take more pride in my business in this case Coakley Motor Express and help me feel like I was more working for me than a big corporation.

It's like this. I am in the USAF as an aircraft mechanic. We have 32 aircraft here with people just working on all the jets. The problem is there is very little pride in ownership and the apperance of the aircraft suffers as well as some of the maintenance. So we tried something. We assigned dedicated people to work on a specific aircraft. This was thier plane and they took the good and the bad. Ironically we found that the appearance started to improve as well as the maintenance because they considered it "thier" jet.

Now obviously we cannot let them do all of the things they would like to we would have funky colored aircraft flying around but you get my point. My business "Coakley Motor Express" should be the company represented on my truck, as thats who I work for technically. There is no problem taking pride in the company you lease to since thier success or failure is directly reflected on it's drivers. I just thought maybe there is a better way is all.

Like I mentioned before the open minds of the expeditor drivers is what attracts me to the field, but it is a shift from OTR and what I am used to. I just am opening up cans of worms for discussion is all.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
DJ: Aside from Glen's most appropriate comments, consider the reason your jets have the Air Force markings; you wild blue yonder guys don't want to be mistaken for Navy or Coast Guard aviators. The Thunderbirds are painted differently than the Blue Angels because advertising pays, even though their performance is the same.

Along the same lines, if you buy a franchise to provide a service under the 7-11 logo, you wouldn't or couldn't change the signage to Coakleys convenience store. Neither you nor the 7-11 folks would reap the benefit of the recognition the parent company.

theoldprof

Veteran Expediter
Here's another way to look at it: If you are in a van with FedX, Tri-State, or whatever plastered on the side, and you are in a shopping center for several hours, the local police know what you are. A plain white wrapper van could raise some suspicion. In this post 9-11 atmosphere, I think it is an advantage to advertise who you are. Just something to think about. :+ :+

theoldprof

Veteran Expediter
That's a good one. My reference to a plain white wrapper referred to a white painted van. Wrapper spelled "W" rapper. Eminen, on the other hand is a person who performs "rap". Since I cannot understand a word of any rapper I have ever heard, I have absolutely no idea what a "rapper" or rap is. :+ :+

Djcoak

Expert Expediter
OK well if you look at it as buying part of a franchise then yes that would make sense. And yes I am sure a plain white truck would raise suspition...especially if you wife just washed her hair and she had her head wrapped in a towel!

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Old Prof.. earlier I posted the words most commonly used in Rap (MUSIC). In looking at the post I felt some folks might find them offensive so I edited the words out.However you are not missing anything .the words used are not something you would want to hear with children around.I find it amazing that this trash doesn't get put down by the Reverend'S Jessie and Al.

Djcoak

Expert Expediter
Big ugly stickers pay extra percentage and pride in your
>ride in company identity leaves a "positive impression" with
>my customers. If your not proud of what you do and who you
>do it with maybe trucking ain't for you?

Ok sorry and I don't mean to argue but they are not your customers, they are the companies you are leased with.
>
>Sounds like maybe this ain't gonna work for you, expediting
>is about attitude and sucess. I wish you luck and thanks
>again for the post.

I stated that I was not trying to put anyone down or start any fuss, I am just trying to get all the details and by playing devils advocate I got the answers I was looking for.

sylvester

Expert Expediter
Djcoak, I'm (and the wife) a 25+ year semi O/O who is going to switch to straight truck expediting soon. We have spent the last 2 years "observing" this side of trucking. We have gone to the truck show in Louisville and the Expediting show in Detroit. Talked to many drivers and a few companies. I guess you could say we have done the home work for you. So, from one semi driver to another, let me tell you what we have found out.
I'll start with the plus side of over the road straight truck to tractor trailer.
I'll just work on the truck difference this time.

FUEL MILEAGE: Our last semi was a "new" Volvo 770, Cat engine, over 500hp. Pulled 53' dry van, bean bag chairs to carpet and everything in between. Lucky if we got 6 mpg.
Straight truck, two total axles (maybe a tag) compared to 5 total axles on the tractor trailer. No need for a motor over 380hp. Should get close to 10 mpg.

Sleeper: I can't count the times we would park next to an expeditor and wish we had one of those 96" condos on our tractor. Pulling a 53' traveling cross country, there was no way for us. The sraight truck we end up with will have a 22' box and a "real home on wheels" behind the cab.

Parking: How many times did you see a road sign, with a nice home cooked meal pictured on it, saying come on in. You pull off the exit only to find there is no way you can get that tractor trailer in there lot. Worse yet, have you noticed all the Malls that now state at there entrance NO SEMI'S!!!! I'm not sure how long this will last, but we have noticed in our travels that most Truck Stops allow these straight trucks to park in front instead of out in the lower 40 with all the semi's. Speaking of parking. When we did go home for a short stay, we always had to fine a lot to drop our trailer to take the tractor home. You see the local Police and the neighbors frown on tractor trailers getting off the truck route. Straight truck aint going to be a problem.

You know, I see I could write a book on the plus side of straight VS tractor trailer. Turning radias, ease of backing up, better visability, less stress on the drive train (lighter loads) more mileage out of a set of tires, NO JACK-KNIFE worries, less hassle at the chicken coops, no more tangled greasey electrical and air lines. You see this could go on and on.

I don't know who you pulled for but all the company trailers that we hooked up to had a 53' billboard on them advertising there product. They never made us do anything other than put a small decal on our cab. Gee, now that I think of it, isn't that kind of what the expediting companies are doing? Guess a 22' ad isn't as bad as a 53' bllbaord.

Next opinion will deal with the business end.

Sorry for boring some of you.
Sylvester

Djcoak

Expert Expediter
Yes that is true but I pulled my own trailer so I didn't have to have the 53' billboard except to have my own business name on it.

I am not saying there are not huge pluses (sp?) if I didn't think so I wouldn't be here!!!! I guess I just know that the OTR company I ran for got quite a bit per mile so I assumed expedite freight would do much better than that.

I also had a 770 and it was a tank! I rarely got 6 mpg unless I was bobtail and that was almost never so fuel killed me and yes parking sucked. I am very much interested in this business and I love the travel, I just had some things that I didn't like so I thought I would ask about them. I realize I may have come off a bit harsh but it's too much military in me!!!! I can be a blunt SOB!

theoldprof

Veteran Expediter
RichM.. I read your comments before you edited them. I wasn't offended. It doesn't offend me, but it bothers me by your use of the words "rap" and "music" in the same sentence. Isn't the term "rap music" an oxymoron. Such as "military intelligence", and "Congressional ethics". :+ :+

sylvester

Expert Expediter
I see where you are coming from (not bashing expediting) because I have worn your shoes.
One of your questions had to do with why the pay isn't higher.
You stated you pulled your own trailer, we both know you get paid more per mile when you have your own trailer. Yes, I know the box could be considered a dry van trailer, but I don't think a 22' box is fair to compare to what you can haul in a 53' trailer.
Sylvester

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter

Hi, I just had a couple of comments about you parking thing. Please know that not ALL truck stops allow straight trucks to park up front, while some INSIST (Flying J in Phoenix) and while this is cleaner walking for us and our dogs, it sometimes comes at a price, just as there are so many drivers that have trouble parking out back, the RV drivers aren't always up to speed in this area either. Now, I don't mean ALL but sometimes it seems a little dicier out front than in the back!! The other thing is you might want to check with your city, town, village as to their ordinances concerning trucks. While our truck is no larger than an RV and weighs less (we seldom come to the house loaded), we are not permitted to park in our own drive. Having been told that it's the commercial vehicle thing more than the weight, this while others bring home different combinations of dump trucks hauling equipment, etc. A real sore spot for us as you know what a hassle it is to park elswhere and unload. Just thought you might want to check it out. Good Luck to ya!!!

Of all the things I've lost in my life, I think I miss my mind the most!!

Djcoak

Expert Expediter
>I see where you are coming from (not bashing expediting)
>because I have worn your shoes.
>One of your questions had to do with why the pay isn't
>higher.
>You stated you pulled your own trailer, we both know you get
>paid more per mile when you have your own trailer. Yes, I
>know the box could be considered a dry van trailer, but I
>don't think a 22' box is fair to compare to what you can
>haul in a 53' trailer.
>Sylvester

I am looking at pay per mile. Expedite freight does pay more there is no doubt about that since it has to be there like yesterday. I am guessing though that the company may pay the leased on owner more but is also putting a larger share in thier pocket. For instance FEDEx CC pays only 60% of the gross while some OTR pay up to 69% or so. I know it's not apples to apples but I was just wondering.

sylvester

Expert Expediter
When making our decision to come over to expediting, one of the issues was cost. I started with the equipment. It is less costly to operate an expediter than a tractor trailer.
Fuel consumption, maintenance, etc. So if your spending less on the truck, which is your biggest expense, that would help offset slightly lower income.
I'll let you know later what we found out in other areas.

Djcoak

Expert Expediter
Wow thats an awesome point, I never condsidered that! Makes sense though since you are spending less in theory you are making more per mile!!!! Thanx!!!