Questions about Panther

mcbride

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
My questions about Panther---

How is it possible to attain their “bonuses†when teams will be offered 100 mile loads? Thereby, your refusal rate will escalate. We are in service over 95% of the time and have never been late for a pick up or a delivery. While with Con-Way for 5 years our average load length was over 1000 miles a load and we were running at about 17% - 22% dead head. We have had one service failure due to our truck needing repair. Therefore, we could attain “bonuses†in the in service and on time for pick and delivery areas however, we feel that the “refusals†for “mini’s†and then “bubbling up†from the bottom make this bonus area unattainable for us.

Just where exactly are Panther’s non-back haul areas? Are we to assume that we are to stay within a mid five state area? We went coast to coast while with Con-Way and did not get “back haul†loads.

Are teams offered solo loads or are they kept aside/separately for team runs?

Does Panther use PC Miler to determine routing? If not, what do they use?

Does Panther have non-forced dispatch? In other words, other than moving you to the bottom of the get loaded list, do they mandate you take certain loads or "put you out of service"?

How much of the freight that Panther carries is NOT auto freight? We have had 9 NLM loads since January 1st. Did Panther acquire Con-Way’s NLM department?

Why do the fleet owner’s D trucks get $1.30 per mile and the non-fleet owners get $1.20?

I also understand there is a tier system of sorts at Panther. IE some people are paid more because they came before a certain date. What is this tier system?

Does Panther pay it’s drivers each week? If not, what is the length of time you wait ?

How do you get position checks?

How do you find out how many trucks are in a specific area?

Does Panther use dwell time to determine eligibility? For example, if you are out in California, Arizona, Oregon, Utah, etc. This is assuming there are less designated layover locations in these areas.

Are the layover areas usually truck stops? We, for example, rarely stay in truck stops therefore, we possibly would not be close enough to a designated layover area.

How are your dead head miles determined? Paid? IE GPS via the QC or manually by dispatch?

What is the average load length of Panther D unit teams?

What is your average dead head per load for a D unit team?

Can we have the other half of our money not loaded on COM data directly deposited in our bank?

Are we paid as a D unit for all loads? For example, at Con-Way D units were paid the same D rate if a D unit carried a C load or Vanload. In addition, we were paid tractor rate if we carried freight over 13,000 pounds. Does Panther do this?

With this acquisition, Panther will be huge. How many trucks do they pretict they will have as a result of this buy-out? What is the average load count per day? I am having flash backs of when FedEx Custom Critical took on too many trucks for the loads they had available.

What is the criteria for getting into the Panther elite services? Is there a waiting list?

Why is there a PantherI, PantherII, and now just Panther?

-------------------------------------------

Urban legends…you can dispel---URBAN legend.....

has it that Panther dispatch and other personnel own trucks…is this true?

has it that if you move your truck while waiting for a load for example from Wal-Mart to a truck stop this move will put you on the bottom of the list to get loaded. Is this true?

has it that if you make an error on your paper work you are fined. Is this true?

has it you wait for 3 weeks for your pay. Is this true?

has it you may be offered a load at .50 per mile or less if you are in a back haul area? Is this true?

has it you can be "black-balled" if you tick off the wrong people, thereby, you get by-passed or only offered "mini's". Is this true?

mcbride-
--What goes around comes around--

tec1959

Expert Expediter
McBride great post I hope some ppl answer these questions because I'm thinking of putting a "D" unit with them but to many questions and things I don't understand,I was with Roberts Express/FedEX for about 6 yrs I see alot of difference between the 2 company's...Heck Conway sounded GREAT to RUN for...

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
You would be better served to talk to someone in recruiting. Company averages and other questions would be better answered by them. I only know what my trucks are doing which may or may not be a hard number to go by. I haven't seen their packet. It will likely answer many of your questions when you receive it.
If you are attending the expo, you will have a bunch of them to talk to. Only a couple of days away.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

mcbride

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Okay, Dave.

We have not gotten the package as of yet. We called again this morning and they are supposed to get back to us soon. Friends of ours just called. They just got their package and I am now talking to them now on what was is in it.

They are right now talking about differences between a "suggested layover" or an "empty move". I am sure that once we get started we will catch on to their terms. They said they are running really well so far, so it sounds like some of the confusion will dissipate once we get started.

Because you have been with them for so long, and have to the best of my recall always spoke so highly of the company...I just thought you would be able to answer some of our general questions.

mcbride-

themagicoen

Expert Expediter
>My questions about Panther---
>
>How is it possible to attain their “bonuses†when
>teams will be offered 100 mile loads? Thereby, your refusal
>rate will escalate. We are in service over 95% of the time
>and have never been late for a pick up or a delivery. While
>with Con-Way for 5 years our average load length was over
>1000 miles a load and we were running at about 17% - 22%
>dead head. We have had one service failure due to our truck
>needing repair. Therefore, we could attain “bonusesâ€
>in the in service and on time for pick and delivery areas
>however, we feel that the “refusals†for “mini’sâ€
>and then “bubbling up†from the bottom make this bonus
>area unattainable for us. 't
Panther doesn't have bonus's, sorry.
>
>Just where exactly are Panther’s non-back haul areas? Are
>we to assume that we are to stay within a mid five state
>area? We went coast to coast while with Con-Way and did not
>get “back haul†loads.
Stay between the Hudson and the Missisppi rivers and you'll be fine.
>
>Are teams offered solo loads or are they kept
>aside/separately for team runs?
>
Teams will get solo loads if there is no solos to take them
>Does Panther use PC Miler to determine routing? If not,
>what do they use?
>
Most are pc miller but they are on contract for some customers for rand mcnally - biggest is Cat Inc. They'll ussally tell you.
>Does Panther have non-forced dispatch? In other words, other
>than moving you to the bottom of the get loaded list, do
>they mandate you take certain loads or "put you out of
>service"?
Well your not forced but getting at the bottom of the list sometimes sucks. They'll only put you out of service for not responding
>
>How much of the freight that Panther carries is NOT auto
>freight? We have had 9 NLM loads since January 1st. Did
>Panther acquire Con-Way’s NLM department?
>
Panther does a lot of everything
>Why do the fleet owner’s D trucks get $1.30 per mile and
>the non-fleet owners get $1.20?
>
You need 3 trucks min to get the 1.30/mile and then you have to pay more for everything i.e. qc, trip pak, insurance

>I also understand there is a tier system of sorts at
>Panther. IE some people are paid more because they came
>before a certain date. What is this tier system?
Don't know
>
>Does Panther pay it’s drivers each week? If not, what is
>the length of time you wait ?
Evreyweek but its 15 day waiting peirod for loads., so the friday you would be getting paid for loads 15 days ago
>How do you get position checks?
>
Q.C. or Phone, define what your asking - I want Team Position on the Romulus, Ann Arbor and windsor Boards
>How do you find out how many trucks are in a specific area?
>
Same as above, this is very crucial info! If your 6 and get offered a load that is 1500 miles there is something wrong with the load. Same goes if your 1st and get offered something crappy, if you don't take it you'll loose position. It takes awhile to proccess all the info.
>Does Panther use dwell time to determine eligibility? For
>example, if you are out in California, Arizona, Oregon,
>Utah, etc. This is assuming there are less designated
>layover locations in these areas.
>
>Are the layover areas usually truck stops? We, for example,
>rarely stay in truck stops therefore, we possibly would not
>be close enough to a designated layover area.
>
They don't have layover areas. Find out where the boards are, need to be within 50 miles of them to get one them. Use Steets and Trip radius thingy, get your self on as many boards as possiable. Use the Q.C. to find out what boards are around.
>How are your dead head miles determined? Paid? IE GPS via
>the QC or manually by dispatch?
>
GPS for dh to pu. They don't pay for it unless its over 100 miles. If your the only one there tell them to pay or get lost, worked for me many times. Only pays at .50/mile
>What is the average load length of Panther D unit teams?
>
>What is your average dead head per load for a D unit team?
>
>Can we have the other half of our money not loaded on COM
>data directly deposited in our bank?
>45% at delivery, rest on friday. If your an owner you can set up direct deposit.
>Are we paid as a D unit for all loads? For example, at
>Con-Way D units were paid the same D rate if a D unit
>carried a C load or Vanload. In addition, we were paid
>tractor rate if we carried freight over 13,000 pounds. Does
>Panther do this?
>
NO! But sometimes if you bug them they'll pay you full rate. but you will be screwed by this, if your say in AZ and they offer you a load for $1.00/mile, they know you want out so they aint going to budge. But if your in say Ohio and ofer a $1.00 tell them no till they pay you what you want, reduced rate does not incure penalties

>With this acquisition, Panther will be huge. How many
>trucks do they pretict they will have as a result of this
>buy-out? What is the average load count per day? I am
>having flash backs of when FedEx Custom Critical took on too
>many trucks for the loads they had available.
I heard 1600 on the loads/day, don't know
>
>What is the criteria for getting into the Panther elite
>services? Is there a waiting list?
>
Their setting up 120 trucks last check they were at like 90, just have to call and talk to rep. Must be able to be security cleared then you just take a class.

>Why is there a PantherI, PantherII, and now just Panther?
Panther II becuase there was 2 owners, now that 1 left its back to just panther
>
>
>-------------------------------------------
>
>Urban legends…you can dispel---URBAN legend.....
>
>
>has it that Panther dispatch and other personnel own
>trucks…is this true?
>
>has it that if you move your truck while waiting for a load
>for example from Wal-Mart to a truck stop this move will put
>you on the bottom of the list to get loaded. Is this true?
>
>has it that if you make an error on your paper work you are
>fined. Is this true?
>
>has it you wait for 3 weeks for your pay. Is this true?
>
>has it you may be offered a load at .50 per mile or less if
>you are in a back haul area? Is this true?
>
>has it you can be "black-balled" if you tick off the wrong
>people, thereby, you get by-passed or only offered "mini's".
>Is this true?
>
>
>mcbride-
>--What goes around comes around--

panther_art

Expert Expediter
I drove for an owner with conway for about a year, and the only difference I see is ther is a 15 day wait from the time they get your paper work to get paid. Your 45% is loaded to your comdata card and I call comdata as soon as the money is on my card and have it deposited to my account. You get your advance loaded on your card after you pod out, not like conway where you get your money when you pick up at the shipper.

As far as load out west I done a few for conway and had to deadhead all the way back to Kansas before getting loaded but I understand that Panther gets loads out of CA not been ther yet.

The QC that conway had you could get city to city directions even if you wasn't on a load, Panthe does not have that. And you know how you could get directions if you did one of the macros within 50 miles of your deliver Panther does not have that.

As far as PantherI and PantherII it was aways PantherII but one of the owners sold his part and the one owner left left a company called Fenway buy in. The Only name change had just happened to Panther experdited services, about the same time that conway changed there name.

and by the way we still get all our surcharge, but there is no New England surcharge like we used to get with with conway.

Other then that it all works the same.

Pantherart

FAMILYEXPDT

Seasoned Expediter
HMMMM.....so many questions. I can answer lots of them here...but I will also be at expo if you are going to be there.

1. 100 mile loads + refusal rates. Our trucks are not very often asked to run 100 mile loads....at least not without a good incentive that makes it worth their while. If you do take one of those loads you usually receive a "first out" which can get you out of a crowded frieght area faster. Only certain refusals hit your refusal percentage.....nothing can hit your percentage if 1) you are already on a load when you are offered another 2) the pickup time is 8 hours or more ahead of time, or 3) you are offered a load at less than your contracted rate. You would be surprised how many of these "refusals" are not really according to Panther's guidelines. Our trucks run at about 96% acceptance and we run at 100% in our tractor most of the time. Panther has many long runs...I just took a snapshot of my 5 strait trucks and all are on loads ranging from 783 miles to 1800 miles. Bonus is not hard to make.

2.By non-backhaul I am assuming that you mean where do we run at versus possibly getting stuck. We are like the other expedite companies...the rust belt is still major freight area...we can get out of california and texas...back and forth to Laredo is a favorite for my trucks. This morning i was surprised to see 3 trucks in MN and all of them with a 1000+ mile run out. There are certain times of year when we get loads out of the strangest places...trucks getting loads in Idaho etc...The great thing to me is Panther is going after west coast business...we have sales people in areas we never had before and we are feeling the effects of this in a positive way. Itell solo drivers to stay within a 750 mile radius of ohio so they do not get out somewhere and get unable to get back due to hours etc....teams go anywhere....some places take a bit more to get out of (miami)

3. Teams are offered solo runs also...the idea is to cover the freight..if you are the closest available truck you will get offered the load.

4.PC Miler is used for 95% of customers. There are a few cutomers that are still on rand mcnally but that is changing as fast as Panther can rewrite contracts.

5.Non-forced dispatch...completely. You are never told you HAVE to do a load. I have found the experience to be that if they really need a load covered that is not good for you...they will pay you extra. They will never put you out of service for refusing a load.

6. We carry a lot of auto freght yet...but we are continuosly working to get other types of freight. I can find a percentage for you at expo

7. The 2 different contracts is something that Panther offers to anyone that has 3 or more trucks....understand that with the 1.30 scontract you pay for all of your liability insurance, trip pak, permits, etc....The contract only pays if you have teams in your trucks. We stayed on the 1.20 contract long after we got 3 trucks because the expenses of the 1.30 were so much higher.

8. There is no "tier" system. Panther simply does not cancel contracts when they make a new one. Some people are still on older contracts.

9. There is a fifteen day waiting period for the pro to get paid out...you will run for 2 weeks and get your check for the first weeks pros on the 3rd week. Paperwork has to be received by monday at noon to be paid on the Following Friday (not same Friday but the next week.) Once you get your first check you will get one every week as long as you keep turning in pro's weekly.

10.Position checks are done on QC using a macro 8. You can pick 100-200-300 mile radius and tell how many trucks are at each "board" within that radius and how many are incoming and the average loads per day. You can also call your dispatch team and see where you are on the board.

11.See above

12-13. Panther has no designated layover area. You are within a 50 mile radius of the nearest city you are on that board...and disspatched out as first available, first out....they then start moving out from 50 mile if noone is there and closest to pick up gets dispatched.

14. Deadhead determined by QC at time of dispatch for miles but entered into system by dispatcher so if it is wrong it can be corrected with a phone call or qc message.

I will try to answer rest of questions later tonite

panther had nothing to do with this company....panther II was for the 2 partners that started company. One sold out, owner that was left felt was no longer panther II so changed to panther expedited services

charlotte

mcbride

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Thank you so much for your replies. We still however, have not received our package from Panther nor a phone call. We have also not received our last pay from Con-Way as most of the former Con-Way people we have talked with have, so, ....we are in expediter limbo.

mcbride-
-What goes around comes around--

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I would call and ask what address they sent everything.

Although Dispatch may have one adress Corp. may have another.

I say this because if remember corectly you moved in the last 4 years have you not?

mcbride

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Hi Tony-

Package came this morning! Going to go pick it up now....got paid from Con-Way this morning too! Wooohooo...things are finally falling into place! Finally got our signs off...

We can now get going and start running! BTW, any former Con-Ways reading this, (that went with Panther and are like us and have not gotten started yet)...we have been in constant contact with other teams that went with Panther and they are doing well. None of them have went west of the Mississippi yet. Their longest run has been about 900 miles and the shortest has been about 280 miles.

Chins up former Con-Way people! People keep telling me change can be good and only time will tell. After all, we made a change over five years ago to go to Con-Way and despite any problems we encountered while leased with them, we never regretted the move. I know that some of you that may be reading this are still upset with Con-Way and the way this was handled. I understand completely but we are wasting our energy being upset and not signing on with Panther or being hostile towards their personnel. Remember when speaking to Panther people this got dumped on them too. Can you imagine having over 200 trucks added to their fleet over-night and the paperwork nightmare that ensued.

Oh well, just my opinion...

mcbride-

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Glad to hear things are falling into place for you and all the others who's lives encountered this major hurdle.

If for no other reason "REMEMBER THIS" Patience is a virtue.

bernieh48

Veteran Expediter
McBride, Glad you got your package and Conway pay. We were on a load to Barstow,CA when this all happened. Talk about being scared to death. And we only drive for a fleet owner. Panther has done really good by us. We decided to wait in Ontario,CA for our package and on Tues. were offered a load p/u in Yuma,AZ d/l to Rolling Meadow,IL this morning. An old Conway account I might add. Then after we d/l in IL we are now on a load p/u in Peroria,IL and headed to Vegas for Mon. d/l. So far so good. We were told that the LA area is one of their best areas. They told us they get an average of 2 to 3 loads a day out of there. The only issues people are still having is with the Comdata advances. We got totally screwed on this because our fleet owner decided to not let his whole fleet take any advances anymore so now we have to wait for 3 weeks for our first pay. Hopefully we can hang on that long. It really came at a bad time when we just had fuel taxes taken out by Conway and now we have our normal first of the month bills. Oh well! I think in the long run this will help all of us drivers. Hope everything works out and if you have a questions of a former Conway driver who is going through this as well feel free to PM me.

joebob1_30132

Expert Expediter
I am a skeptic still ..but I have to say since monday we have clocked some miles.. Los Angeles with conway was sweet for us same day next day everytime but once (5 days layed over) Been doing the west for panther .. passed 2 olded Conway trucks heading that way yesterday.(new Mexico) going on my 3rd fat load tomorrow deliv mon. well Im a little incouraged..and positta about the situation.but Dave not tottally convinced.. .. your Pii is off to a good start...

mcbride

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
So glad that you both are doing well. We are heading to truck show now...a little late. lol I know waiting for our pay is going to be a big draw back.

--mcbride--

creekindian33

Expert Expediter
u have a lot of questions im a owner who unfortinitly had for now go whith panther i worked whith panther in 2000 an did not like it so i moved to con way love con way hate to see them go but from my understanding they have done this befor panther told me they changed since i was whith them but i dont see how u van never get them to answer the phone whith out a 30 minute waite its no force dispatch but u have to except 95 percent of loads if u r not a fleet owner they take care of the fleet owner first thats y fleet owners make 1.35 per mile an 1 truck makes 1.21 per mile which i think is wrong they clame every body is the same but if that was the case y does fleet owners make more also they say no forced dispatch but i know u have to go to canada i dont go so they r saying they will drop my pay to 1.15 if its no forced dispatch y r they droping my pay i will not sighn a contract for panther ill wate till my contract is up whith con way then ill move my truck panther will also qualicom harase u does not matter if ur on time an except every loade they r well knowen for unesacery harasment also if u r off duty u better trun ur cell phone off the will call constenly when u r off duty vacation an thretin u for not coming off vacation to take a load there is a lot of favortism at panther fleet owners do have priority i have done some reasearch on other companies bolt dimond an a few others r looking realy good they dont pay by the mile they pay by the loade 60 to 70 percent which ads up more then whate panther is paying they dont have force dispatch if u dont whant to go to canada they will not dock u for it there fleet r smaller just because panther has all these trucks dont mean they have freight look on line people r constintly complaing abought sitting panther will smile in ur face for abought 3 months ull do good but after that i whould start looking around unless ur a fleet owner the reason i say they have favortism to fleet is i know an owner who has 10 trucks 2 of his trucks cant go to canada but yet he makes 1.35 not 1.15 good luck ride con way contract as long as possabl then go somr were else or hang out an panther will show there true colores :( :(

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
Ive only been with PII for a couple of years, but I am still waiting for the honeymoon to end. Not all has been peaches and cream, but who would have that?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
You have been given wrong information by someone. Panther pays a single truck $1.20 and for an owner with 3 or more trucks the pay is $1.30 not $1.35 per mile. Out of that extra dime per mile the owner pays a significantly higher weekly deduction on insurance etc. than the single truck owner.

Under the new telephone system the computer recognizes your phone number when you call in. If you are under load it knows that too. You'll get almost immediate response if you are under load. If you are not under load you'll get answered in order. Wait times are usually under 30 seconds while under load and no more than a few minutes when not.

I don't believe they threaten anyone and I don't believe they phone during off time at a level that is harassing as you imply. They will occassionally call a driver if there is a load in the area and nobody else is available. Some drivers appreciate knowing when there is freight to get them out from home under load.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5507, 5508, 5509
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.