Question to those who have showers in their trucks

Kat123

Seasoned Expediter
When filling your shower tank at a truck stop do you generally get it at the fuel island or is there a specific place for RV's to fill? I'd like to know of any other places you fill while on the road. Have you had any problems getting water in certain areas?

ATeam

Retired Expediter
RV dump stations (Flying J, some other truck stops, RV parks, state parks, some Camping World stores) are a water source, as are the faucets at truck stop fuel islands.

At fuel islands, one of us can usually fill the water tanks while the other is fueling, so there is no delay for any drivers that may be waiting in line.

Generally, you can get water anywhere you can find a garden hose spout and permission to use it. We carry two lengths of 25 foot garden hose (50 feet total) in the truck, which is usaually enough. At relatives' homes, we sometimes have to ask to use their longer hoses to reach from their house to the truck.

I know one driver who would slip the guys at Speedco a couple bucks extra for letting them use the hose in the store while they were getting their oil changed. He would do that in a pinch in the winter, when working water faucets were harder to find.

At Volvo dealerships, when we have had the truck in the shop for work, I have refilled our water tanks using their faucets in the shop. Never had to slip the guys any extra money. Just asked and received an easy yes.

Generally, we do not need to get creative in finding water. Flying J dump stations and faucets at truck stop fuel islands usually meet our needs.

Last edited:

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
Don't alot of the J dump stations have signs up that say "RVs Only"? I know I've seen them at places.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Don't alot of the J dump stations have signs up that say "RVs Only"? I know I've seen them at places.

Yes they do at a bunch of places and I have had them come out and tell me not to dump there, so I tell them "OK, I will be using the toilets inside" which I end up getting ''permission'' to use the RV dump.

I don't fill my portable (drinking) water at any of the sites unless it says for drinking. I do fill my water tank (very small) up for washing and such at the RV pumps but not at the fuel pumps.

Oh, I ran into one place I think in CA where it has a sign in big capital letters "DO NOT EVER USE THIS FOR DRINKING OR YOU WILL DIE". I think it is there for a reason but it is not in Spanish! :eek: