Question for new GM Van owners.

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm thinking of a new 2014 GM Van with the Unicell 14' CW body. What I'm wondering is if I should order with the 4.8 liter V8 or the 6.0 liter V8, both gas. What kind of fuel mileage are these newer vans getting with the 6 speed automatics? What rear gear ratios are you guys running? I know the 6 speed has a lower 1st gear so you can run gears like 3:42 or 3:54 and they have 2 overdrive gears. Please list your engine size, gear ratio, type of cargo box if any, your fuel mileage and if you think it has enough power for carrying 3,000# loads.

Also, any comments on the Unicell body's would be helpful.
Thanks, Bill

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Will it be under 10,000..I would go 6.0 ..4.8 too small for that...6.0 also comes w/ 6 spd I have 1 like it alot..I can get 17 ...I run a bully dog tuner too

Sent from my DROID RAZR using EO Forums mobile app

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've been contemplating about buying this vehicle also. If you P.M. me your e-mail address I can send you a couple of quotes for the body. I've been waiting for Unicell to put the 12' CW on a 159" chassis. Instead they went with 14' which is even better.

I'm thinking the 6.0. I've got 736,000 miles on my 6.0 so I figure stay the course. I think the 3.73 rears would keep the 6 speed from downshifting in a head wind or small hills. A higher gear ratio like the 3.54 or 3.42 might cause excessive downshifting and more running time in 5th. Just an uneducated guess by me. I hope some 6 speeders respond with their experiences and gear ratios.

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Will it be under 10,000..I would go 6.0 ..4.8 too small for that...6.0 also comes w/ 6 spd I have 1 like it alot..I can get 17 ...I run a bully dog tuner too

I was thinking about the 6.0 also but want decent gas mileage. Did you gain any mpg with the Bully Dog Tuner?

Getting tired of waiting for the Ford and have always been a GM guy anyway. Nice and simple V8. No turbos or any other expensive equipment to deal with as the van ages.

And it stickers at 9,900# with the single rear wheels on a 159" cutaway.

Last edited:

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
I was thinking about the 6.0 also but want decent gas mileage. Did you gain any mpg with the Bully Dog Tuner?

Getting tired of waiting for the Ford and have always been a GM guy anyway. Nice and simple V8. No turbos or any other expensive equipment to deal with as the van ages.

And it stickers at 9,900# with the single rear wheels on a 156" cutaway.

1-1.5 per gal bump...

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
You can set up gauges...top left is coolant..then rpm...oil temp....trans temp...was 299 on auto anything.com

Attachments

• 1394663622397.jpg
    1394663622397.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 45

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yeah what Bill said, what is your axle ratio and what rpm are you turning at 65 mph?

Maverick

Seasoned Expediter
With limited experience, I'll throw my hat into the ring and say.....anything over a 2500 Extended would be the 6.0 for me. The 4.8 has proven a fine motor (to say the least) but anything over 2000 pounds is going to drop it from around 18 mpg, to around 16 mpg. On steep grades, the 4.8 will labor at 1600 RPM, and one may as well kick it up and climb hard, or watch the gas gauge drop.

Just my guess, but the 6.0 will get the same (or better) mileage under a similar load, with more ease on the driver, and motor. In the box configuration, it would seem much more sense to obtain the 6.0 and haul some heavy loads....for more money, and less fuel.

Getting quotes on the 6.0 SRW right now. Buying the chassis and building the body is the same as buying one already built. Quote should be coming in soon, but plenty of time. Don't plan on a potential purchase until Fall.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Wondering if any one had checked out the Supreme Corp's Spartan van body with the top hat option? jimmy

I haven't check on the Spartan recently, but as of last year the 12' GM was available only on a 135" wheelbase. I prefer a longer wheelbase for the ride and weight distribution.

blackpup

Veteran Expediter
I haven't check on the Spartan recently, but as of last year the 12' GM was available only on a 135" wheelbase. I prefer a longer wheelbase for the ride and weight distribution.

That's kind of strange . The few GM chassis that I have seen advertised with a Spartan body did seem to be the 139 inch wheel base.

jimmy

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You're right Jimmy. My mistake. The 12' SRW Spartans are on the 139" chassis. I like the Aerocell CW because it now comes on the 159" SRW chassis.