It's a Team's Life Quality of Life : It's a Teams Life

chillout

Administrator
Staff member
On Time Media Staff
Is there quality of life as a team truck driver?

While speaking at an Expediter University Workshop one of the attendees asked about quality of life as a team driver. What a great question and to me more important then "Can I make any money with that little truck?"

What is Quality of Life (QOL)? The standard of health, comfort, and happiness experienced by an individual or group.

When our kids where young we had a great QOL as we both had a job where we were able to spend weekends with our girls. My job also let me use comp time so I was able to attend the many activities the girls were involved in and make that time up. During this period of our lives we had a great QOL as we had quality family time.

READ MORE...

louixo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Hello Team Caffee...
After a successful working life, and trucking career, I am now semi retired, and have been for a few years. I started trucking back in the late 80's in big rigs doing electronics, then trade shows, and switched over to expediting in the 90's. My wife teamed with me much of that time, and we had arrived into trucking after our own careers,(me in sales, and her in financing) and a similar route voiced by you.
QOL was always on our minds before, during, after, and future. I think it's different for everyone, but is encompassed by the word "happiness." In each link of the chain, you are stepping into the shoes of those who had gone before you, and finding your niche. Trucking gave us that, in that we traveled alot, had plenty of time off, nice vacations, enough family time, and made a very nice living.
During our trucking career, we were also planning for the future, and thinking about where we wanted to be when our on the road days were over. We both knew, that when the time came to get off the road, we wanted to live in a warm climate like our home base of Florida. On one of our vacations, we had gone to Cancun, Mexico. That was back in the 90's, and Cancun was on it's way to being what it is today, which is the most popular destination in the western hemisphere.
We went back the following year, and bought some property, and came back to the USA and kept on trucking for several more years. When it came time to go to the house for awhile, instead of going to Florida, we just hopped on a plane and went to Cancun. People would ask us "isn't that expensive?" It really wasn't, as the cost of everything was so much less, and the upkeep of our QOL was less too. We loved south Florida when we lived there, and Cancun was very similar, had a much longer season, and was and still is easy to get to, being just another hour across the gulf.
QOL is still at the top of our agenda, and even more so today. Now days we are still south of the border, and I occasionally do a little trucking just for the fun of it, but mostly we do QOL pursuits. I'm as busy as I want to be these days, doing nothing that I can't put down. One of the things I do now is help older people move on to their next adventure, as I now speak spanish, and many of them don't. Many like me, came here, and started doing something in tourism, that added to their QOL, like buying property, building a beach villa, and renting it for vacations, while they traveled, or went back home to visit to the USA, Canada, or Europe. Others open a dive shop, or something. However, people get older and just can't handle the day to day anymore as the years go on. So these turnkey places go up for grabs, more than pay for themselves, and provide this style of QOL for the next person.
It gives me great satisfaction to see the new ones come in, and go down the same path. I don't do it for money. I just helped an Minnesota ex bed bugger to get into a place.He and his family are snowbirds and rent while not here. He still does a little summer trucking and I still threaten to go with him. That's QOL for me these days. If there are any of my trucking comrades out there who like the tropics, let me know, and I'll keep an eye out. QOL IS IMPORTANT!

Reactions: vandriver2

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Quality of life is in the eye of the beholder. A team that values travel, tourism, family time, making friends, etc. can certainly find that in expediting. A solo driver who values solitude, self-employment freedom and living a simple life one step above that of a street person can find that in expediting too.

In each of these cases, and in all other flavors of expediting, true satisfaction comes when one is able to live without comparing one's quality of life to others. Quality of life is a self-defined experience, not a competition.

As a quality-of-life resource, expediting offers many options to those who are willing to take up life on the road. The expediters who obtain the quality of life they seek are the ones who first define what they want and then go for it.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Louixo sounds like you moved into the next phase and once again have a great QOL and it does sound interesting for the future. Right now we are still enjoying our time as Expediters and look forward to what the years will bring and looking out our office window.