Qualcomm Costs

ATeam

Retired Expediter
In another thread, TeamCaffee quoted Jason (Frederick, I presume) saying the Qualcomm cost issue "Has been heard loud and clear!"

While that is good to know, we have yet to see a change in the cost, except the increase from $30 a week to $35 that came with the new units.

Contractors have complained numerous times about the increased costs in the Open Forum, but not in a thread dedicated specifically to the cost issue. I thought it might be helpful to air out and aggregate views on this topic so I started this thread.

I'll start with my comments:

- I object to the price increase because I did not want the new Qualcomm unit in the first place. I would be perfectly happy to return to paper log books if a price reduction came with it. The new unit provides no meaningful added value that I see. If I am missing something, kindly let me know.

- FCC has provided no information to suggest that these units are actually more expensive to operate. Just how much does FCC actually pay Qualcomm per month for these units? Does not the cost savings in log book materials and log book clerks more than offset any new-unit costs? If there is difference between FCC's cost and contractor costs, how is it justified?

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I don't like paying extra for something that does not work any better than the old unit and does not even work as well in many cases. I don't like paying for something that I do not want and ONLY do so because it is the ONLY way I can stay with FedEx.

The performance of this unit is marginal and NOT worth MORE out of my earnings.

I don't understand how FedEx is claiming higher costs when they are no longer having to purchase log books. That should offset a lot of the new costs of these units. Those logs books were NOT cheap.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I liked the 'deluxe' version of the old style systems, with the larger screen and normal keyboard. I didn't really like the one I had with the tiny screen but did like the normal keyboard. About 3-4 years ago I contacted Qualcomm about systems for my "fleet" of 3 trucks. I can't remember the exact amounts but compared what Panther was giving us. The unit that they were charging me $35 per week for would have cost me about $17 a week direct and the cellular text messaging of load offers they charged $2 a week for was $4.95 a month. At the same time Landstar was charging $25.50 a week for the same QC unit I believe. My belief then, now, and forever until a company shows me original QC invoices is that actual costs for a QC plus cellular notification runs somewhere in the $20-25 per week range maximum. My belief is that companies are making $10-17 profit weekly per QC unit under contract to a truck and probably closer to the 17 than the 10.

aileron

Expert Expediter
I liked the 'deluxe' version of the old style systems, with the larger screen and normal keyboard. I didn't really like the one I had with the tiny screen but did like the normal keyboard. About 3-4 years ago I contacted Qualcomm about systems for my "fleet" of 3 trucks. I can't remember the exact amounts but compared what Panther was giving us. The unit that they were charging me $35 per week for would have cost me about $17 a week direct and the cellular text messaging of load offers they charged $2 a week for was $4.95 a month. At the same time Landstar was charging $25.50 a week for the same QC unit I believe. My belief then, now, and forever until a company shows me original QC invoices is that actual costs for a QC plus cellular notification runs somewhere in the $20-25 per week range maximum. My belief is that companies are making $10-17 profit weekly per QC unit under contract to a truck and probably closer to the 17 than the 10.

I believe that a company with a lot of trucks would get significantly better prices than your company with 3 trucks. Just another way to make a buck off of someone else's back.

Don't get me wrong, I understand that they have to buy these qualcomms and also they pay for repairs, but still they make a pretty coin over the system's lifetime.

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
Don't get me wrong, I understand that they have to buy these qualcomms and also they pay for repairs, but still they make a pretty coin over the system's lifetime.

You got that right, just think how many times each of the old units were paid for. :eek:

I also do not think that the new units with the higher costs are justified, and most of the time just as with the old units, dispatch has no idea where you are located.

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
I would find the price increase less irritating if the unit was working to it's full capacity, namely the scanners that were included with the trial units. Having the ability to turn in your paperwork immediately after delivery is awesome. Something that I don't understand is that there are some here that run for far smaller companies than FedEx and yet they have the scanners with their units.

Some of the capabilities of the new units are totally unnecessary, IMHO. I don't need or want games on my c-link. I don't think this feature will get much use as most people that play games have long ago figured out a way to do that in their truck/van.

Here's my theory on the games, internet access, and any other option that is not a function for getting the job done.........These units record each and everything that you do. They're chuck full of statistics. Now, if I play games for an extended period of time, I think it's safe to assume that the machine records that also......see where I'm headed? These days when you have a serious auto accident, often they will check your cell phone to see if it has recorded any activity close to or during the time of the accident. If I'm showing sleeper berth at the same time I'm playing games (they don't give you enough cord to reach the unit into the sleeper), why wouldn't my "lack of rest" be in question in a court of law??? Or with my carrier???

jj214

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I know this sounds like "old timer talk" but in 1990 the clink was optional. I choose to take that option because it would put you ahead of those without clinks. I was in an express center with only 2 units. He did not have one, I did. Of course "foreign power" went to the front of the line. I understand the complaints, providing those complaining are not the same drivers I see pounding quarters into video games at the truck stops. I understand nickles count, but a little over a dollar a day is not something I can get real upset about. Truth be told, I would pay 1.50 a day to get the old one back. Trying to listen to a load offer is impossible, maybe I haVE ADHD but reading the numbrers a blah blah million etc. is distracting and impossible for me to follow.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
When I pay for something I expect it to work and work well. These units do NOT work any better than the old ones did and cost more. They still have no idea where we are a lot of the time and the lags on offers are the same.

My unit is already messed up and I can no longer depend on it. I have been using it for only a month. I don't like paying for junk equipment and service. I REALLY don't like being REQUIRED to pay for junk equipment and service. As much as this stuff is costing us it should almost drive the truck!! :mad:

BigRed32771

Expert Expediter
Between the additional cost per week for the new QC and the new charge for the Ameriscan unit which I had to put in (thereby replacing the DataCold unit I already owned and paid for), I figure a 1% increase in my cost of doing business. Add in the recent climb in fuel prices and I feel totally justified in raising my threshhold prices. Each tier on my minimum rate chart went up $.05/mile effective with the installation of my new QC.

I also agree with the complaints about higher cost for a unit that doesn't do anything much better than the old one except have a lot of "bonus features" that I don't care anything about or that don't work as well as what I already owned and was using to accomplish the same ends.

Add in the sneaking suspicion that we are overcharged for this equipment and service as many suggest, and let's just say I'm less than impressed.

On the other hand, the stuff I cram into my sidebox fits better now since the new control unit is smaller. But for $5 a week I could cram it in just as I had before with no problem.

interstategar

Veteran Expediter
I sent #2 Jason F a letter and asked them if they ever looked into intergrating Droids or Blackberrys into their sys instead of using this 80's technology of Qualcomm's. As a non white glove b unit I don't need to transmit temps of a box. I don't expect any change. Fedex buys the qualcomms outright from the manufacturer and recoops the money from charging us a rental fee. Since they already bought a boat load of the new units we are stuck with this outdated technology. I wrote Fedex just to see what they would say. Haven't heard anything back, but its only been about a 2 weeks since I wrote Jason F.