Qualcom down again

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
So what else is new? This is a bunch of crap, at $35 dollars a week that means we are being charged $5 a day for a piece of junk that lately only works 6 out of the 7 days.

We should be getting reduced fees when the unit doesn't work. I suppose that they will blame it on "solar flares".
Sent from my DROID BIONIC using EO Forums

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Seemed to be working fine when I got my unsafety message today.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Ours required a 'reset' last week, we could not edit anything. What junk! Can we get the 'old' units and price back please? This new stuff is NOT worth the money OR the effort.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We did not realize it was down until we did a departure call. The system came up about half hour after this. It is very frustrating when it goes down and I was under the impression all of QC was down not just our units.

There are many things I like about the new QC such as

Being able to get .wav files
Easier use of DTTS and those messages
EOBR I do not want to go back to paperlogs
I like looking through the messages to pick the one I want instead of trying to remember a number
I like how easy the screen is to read
I like the keyboard being lit
I like being able to turn the sound off of the QC so it does not wake the one sleeping when it goes off.
I like how fast it USUALLY sends and receives messages.
I like the touch screen and having a keyboard
I like how small the unit is as well as the brains of the unit taking up so little room
I like that the unit gets signal no matter if we are inside, under a tree or just next to a building

I do not care for the:
Cost
GPS
that the load does not come into the unit in order

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I don't like the smaller keyboard, my fat fingers have problems with it. The screen is OK. It is far less reliable than the old units. I have had nothing but problems since I got this one. It is far less likely to know where we are at. Don't like the EOBR. Paying more for less is never good. Had one unit replaced and this one will be by summer. It gets REAL hot.

I do like the lit keys.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It is a horrible device overall. The last and best Omnivision had a tolerable keyboard usable by those with fingers larger than a four year olds'. It might as well not have a keyboard as awful as that microscopic thing is. Being lit is ok but the courtesy/dome lights work just fine for that as well. The touch screen is no better than marginal even on it's best day when you are trying to scroll through the messages by pushing one of the arrow buttons with your finger.

It costs way too much, just as the prior unit did, and is less useful and less user friendly besides. If the monthly fee for this horrible thing had gone down $5 per week rather than going up $5 a week it would be far more tolerable. As it is, it's awful.

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
And it might be worth the extra fee if we had the scanners that are available...or will the fee go up even more when we finally catch up to the technology that some of the smaller companies have...I'd roll my eyes but I can't from the phone.......

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
And another thing...how come my bestest buds can see me tonight using latitude and the fed is clueless?

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Call in and talk to CR about scanning.

There are tests going on using scanning to TripPak and also the possibility of scanning straight into FXCC. The more drivers that call in and have their voices heard the more they will realize how important this ability is to us drivers.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Call in and talk to CR about scanning.

There are tests going on using scanning to TripPak and also the possibility of scanning straight into FXCC. The more drivers that call in and have their voices heard the more they will realize how important this ability is to us drivers.

I will definitely request a scanner when I get my next unit installed. PJ's installed my last one and did a crap job. They left one piece off so it worked poorly the first few weeks. I didn't like their attitude either. Been in 6 repair shops in two years and not one made me think I want to come here next time. Maybe Stoops in Indy. Anyone have a facility they reccomend ?
All security cleared trucks should have one.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I do not think you can request one .... I would suggest you tell them how important it is to have one.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Don't use the one in Houston. The one in Dallas seems pretty good.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The shop in Atlanta has been pretty good for us. Kinda hard to get into the building but they have fixed what ever needed fixed, so far.

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
We also had to have ours reset, as we had parts of 3 different screens showing up at once

Talking with Tom, and he said that an an upgrade is coming (no mention of when) that will allow us to reset the units ourselves.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
If you need a reset after hours or you don't feel like messing with Fed try pulling the fuse out of the supply wire to the unit under the bunk. 3-5 minutes later replace the fuse. When it powers back up 90% of the time my problem is solved. I've done this so often I plan on putting a toggle switch in-line on my next truck.

Last edited:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I like the toggle switch idea. I have never had to have it reset during off hours. I wonder if there are people there 24/7 who can do it? If not, I can see a problem that can crop up at any time.