Qestions about being a company driver

dieselphreak2K

Expert Expediter
Hi, new to the site. I've been throwing around the idea of jumping into the field of expediting. I have a class A with a doubles endorsement but most of my driving eperience has been in 26ft straight trucks. I love the road, and i'm single so getting home isn't the bigest priority. I've got about $.02 to my name, so i'm thinking about sigining on with Try Hours as a company driver. I've spoken with them and it seems like an honest company to work with. i have however heard that the company trucks aren't the greatest. No specifics other than crawl-in sleepers. Are they really in poor shape, or am i getting bad intel? Also, i know that it's a 60/40 setup, and i pay my ow fuel, etc. How much cash am i going to need off the bat to make it until the first time i am paid? Any help with this is greatly appreciated.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I can't speak about the quality of Try Hours truck but with a 60/40 split you should be able to arrange for some type of partial amount of your first load paid into a Com Data account or similar card. Live as frugal as possible until you build up some reserves.
When you say company trucks do you mean Try Hours has their own trucks? If so you might be able to get them to spring for a fill up before you leave their premises. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

dieselphreak2K

Expert Expediter
According to my contact, they have a few trucks for people that are considering buying a truck but want to see what the buisness is like first.

BigBusBob

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Hi there you wrote that Try Hours has trucks you're thinkin' about, and mentioned "No specifics other than crawl-in sleepers." All I'm gonna say is that gets old really REALLY fast, esp. if you're a tall person over 6 foot. Go to a truck dealer with 18 wheelers and/or commercial trucks with sleepers and see if they have any on their lot with a crawl-thru to the sleeper and you'll see what I mean... it's not real fun. Bein' able to get up outa the drivers seat and "walk" thru into the sleeper is REALLY nice. That's my 2 cents on that. Bob

FAST JIMMY

Expert Expediter
I will have to say the experience with Try Hours that I had was fine. I am an O/O and was signed with them. I had a breakdown on my truck that put me out of service for a few weeks. They set me up with one of the trucks that you are refering to with the small sleepers. That was nice of them so I did not have 0 income while making repairs on my truck. I will agree that it takes some getting used to with smaller sleeper, as mine has a 78" walk around. But if you keep busy enough you will only have to sleep in there. The trucks are well maintained and run excellent. They have a full time mechanic that is very nice. If you are just starting I think they set you up with Comdata card, so you won't have to save for fuel money. By the way, I only left them because my partner left me stranded and I had to take over all expenses myself and was not prepared. I am thinking of signing with them again soon.

Jim

dieselphreak2K

Expert Expediter
Thanks for the advice, they did seem as if they had a good program. I'm just going to hold off for a few beause frieght is starting to pick up again in my area. The company i am with now gives me 23% and a beautiful W900L (chromed out). I really didn't want to leave, but no frieght is no pay.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
This industry I think your gona find is the same way, very seasonal. Let me mention that you said you were basically broke. The problem is not the cycle of freight, its your ability to save so it will be even tighter in Expediting as we vary with the freight cycles more so than most other trucking industries.

A WL-900, stay put our new friend, and begin a savings program. Life is much better with cash in hand and creditors behind you. If you need any further help check out Crown Ministries on Google or Dave Ramsey you will find many reserouces there I also have some books that I could loan you if you promise to send them back. Private E mail me if your intrested and good luck.

dieselphreak2K

Expert Expediter
Well, i really don't have a choice now, as i've lost my housing. I have no place to live, other than family that will let me store some things and use their place as a legal address. I think i will make it in the industry, because don't have a choice now, it's all or nothing and i'm not giving up now. I apprecite all the advice, and maybe someday i'll see you on the road.

dieselphreak2K

Expert Expediter
the more i read that last post, the less it sounds like what i meant to say. I guess this has just given me that final push off the bench to get moving with what i want to do. Some of the best words i ever heard were " Only you can tell yourself that you don't deserve what you want." and "you get back what you give out."

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
DP:

"The future belongs to those who belive in the beauty of their dreams." - Eleanor Rooselvelt

tom tinker

Expert Expediter
Good luck I hope Panther doesen't ##### foot around with you. Joke
My neiehbor went with Panther this pass fall,don't see his red chevy van around much. God bless you in your new career. Tom Tinker:) ;) ;-) :D