Pusher down or up???

gavinsdad

Seasoned Expediter
I have a Class 8 single-axle with a pusher axle and an in-cab-control. I was given the impression by the dealer that keeping the pusher down while turning corners especially under a heavy load was hard on the pusher axle and should not be done. Is this wrong? Can you actually leave the pusher down around corners and not risk damaging pusher axle? Somebody please set me straight here because I am at a total loss.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I would think that running with the pusher axle down would be fine. When maneuvering in a tight area raising the the axle would reduce tire wear and scuffing. What is the distance between the pusher and the drive axle?

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If they are that close then my uneducated guess would be that it shouldn't be a problem. I have seen drivers with flats and step decks raise the forward axle when maneuvering in tight spots. These usually have a 10' spread so raising the axle makes a big difference. Making a sharp turn with a 10' spread on hot black top tends to upset the shipper.

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
If you see other posts , having the control within reach while in the driver's seat is illegal . Is it worth it to get out of the seat to raise the pusher for a tight turn ?

simon says

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
In theory, pusher should be raised around a tight 90 degree turn. If you see a cop/vehicle enforcement cop, leave it down and scrub the tires. If you raise it for the turn, he will see you sag and bingo, a ticket. There have been lots of posts over time about pushers vs. live axle tandems. No one buys the live tandems new because of cost.
This is the catch-22 of these tag axles...
All said, if you have a hefty 20-22K lift-axle with a standard 48-52 inch spread, you can probably leave them down when you are nearly maxed out. If you have a lighter load, I would raise them as often as possible to save your tires...

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
I think the reason they don't want you to have control from the driver's seat is bc some drivers would drop the axle just before pulling on the scales and then lift it once they've left. talking about pulling a trailer with a 10 foot spread if you try to make to tight of a turn with a heavy load on like 40k or more you can knock that front axle out from under the trailer at worst, or blow tires and tear up the axle. when i pulled a 10' spread on a flat i went in to a few tight places and told them they would have to take some weight off of the trailer before i would make the tight manuver. then they would tell me how most drivers do it no problem. then i'd kindly tell them my name is joseph hodges not most drivers. plus on those air lift axles you can let some of the air out of the bags to decrease the pressure without lifting it all the way. on those spreads we had air ride trailers and all of our trucks were set up to deflate the bags on the trailer in the truck when in motion so we could remove some of the pressure on that front axle if we needed to. pulling a spread axle is something all together different and it's a pain in the butt at times. and it's very rarely all that much more rewarding except you don't have to worry about sliding your tandems.

SHARP327

Veteran Expediter
According to the KY. DOT coops located on I-24
having the controls located where the driver can reach
them from the drivers seat is not in violation of the Federal
DOT regs.

The only state I know of that will fine you for having
controls within drivers reach is the LA. DOT, the KY. DOT
told us that no state can remove a Federal DOT regulation
but can make amendments as they see fit.

This comes from experience with dealing with the LA. DOT
with a couple of fines going with the knowledge.

My advice would be to keep clear of the Shreveport coops
because they're geared up to get ya if you have a drop
axle, the other coops in LA. (knock on wood) don't seem
to looking for you.