Pusher Axle Hop

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
From day one we have had a problem with our pusher axle hopping when we reach a certain speed. This usually would happen going down a hill and was very frustrating for the person trying to sleep and the driver always trying to stay below this land mark speed.

While talking to another driver they asked why in the world didn't we have shock absorbers on the axle? Well duh why didn't we?

We had the shock absorbers put on the axle and we just brought a load from New Jersey to Kansas city with no hop. Totally eliminated this problem.

ihamner

Expert Expediter
Linder,
Why didn't we think of that? We keep adjusting the pressure on the axle thinking that is the problem. Okay, next purchase - shocks! Thanks for the info on this!

India Hamner
[font color="purple"] FEDEX [/font][font color="blue"]Custom Critical[/font]
D Unit
Every day should be an adventure, not a treadmill.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Hopefully I'd notice there were no shocks but I'd never think to look or ask because until just now I never imagined a wheel/axle without shock absorbers. I'd probably have been in the same situation because I would just presume automatically they'd be there. I wonder if Centramatics would also help?

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB
OOIDA Life Member 677319, JOIN NOW
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Nope Leo it doesn't help we have centramatics on all of our axles. We rotated different tires back to that axle also thinking the originals where out of round. Nothing did any good with that hop. With this being our first lift axle we just assumed they all came without shocks and never thought to ask! We even talked to the manufacture of our lift axle about our hop and they didn't even suggest shock absorbers. Live and learn is our motto and be glad you have friends a network of people giving you good advice.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I didn't figure they'd work alone but wondered after the shocks are on if they'd help with wear etc. like on the other axles.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB
OOIDA Life Member 677319, JOIN NOW
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Do u also have the super singles on the tag axle? How are they working out?

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Leo just finally got what you are saying! I am sure the centramatics will help with the tire wear.

Rich we do not have the super singles on the pusher axle yet but that will happen one of these days probably in next years budget.

Booker

Expert Expediter
It is good to know that the shock absorbers fix the hopping problem. We have driven two trucks in the past that had pusher axles. The one had a better ride with the axle up and the other one was just the opposite. We would drive with the axle down because of the better ride and the truck seemed to be more stable. We didn't have shocks and we experienced some wheel hop on occasion. We ordered a truck with tandem axles and wide-based tires. I was looking for a better ride and definitely got it.
I am interested to hear of the outcome of the wide-based tires on the pusher axle and if it affects the amount of time you will use the second axle and if it improves the ride.