Cargo Van Proposal to Carrier group.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
So how many log pages did yA tear out to do that 850+ the dh to get there ?
Never mind you don't have to log!

I was just starting to fall asleep at my friends house in Vidalia GA and the phone rang with a midnight pick up in Waycross GA going over to Cincinnati OH. It was direct. I should have just let the phone ring, but I'm not a flaky driver. I get up at midnight and 15 minutes later I have a cup of coffee in my hand and I'm rolling down the highway. I would love to have to log, I might actually have time to sleep.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
He has plenty of time to sleep now ... hasn't drove in a few years ...[/QU

I'm coming back though. I am 7 days pain medicine free. I have never made it this long. I'm going to handle my pain Sam Elliott style. I will be back out before June. I plan on working for two years straight until I ditch my van in for a new promaster. Then I'm going to camp out at RR until they get tired of me living in their parking lot and hire me! lol

Reactions: ntimevan

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
The key is to control my mind. I keep letting my mind defeat me and I can't do that anymore. I am coming charging out of the gates like a raging bull in a china mans shop. I will be the Negan of the expedite world. :p

Reactions: brokcanadian

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
There was a lawsuit reported on today in Landline that is over a Carrier filtering money through entities it owns to decrease revenue paid to it's O/O's. ( Go 2, based in Az.)
This made me think the problem is our percentages need to be based off total cost to the shipper.
Logs ?
It'd be cool if everyone that hauled freight for revenue had to log. Why not ?
An industry that thrives on deregulation needing regulation to solve problems.
How ironic.

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
1. It would allow operators to slow down a bit and save $$$ on the fuel bill...helping to increase overall rate and wear and tear...

Fortunately my trip from KC to Flat Rock had lots of extra time. So I did just that...slowed down. I drove 60 mph the entire way. Which I never do. The rate was far from desirable so I tried to save a few coins. Battling a strong wind almost all the way, I still ended up with pretty crapy mileage

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Fortunately my trip from KC to Flat Rock had lots of extra time. So I did just that...slowed down. I drove 60 mph the entire way. Which I never do. The rate was far from desirable so I tried to save a few coins. Battling a strong wind almost all the way, I still ended up with pretty crapy mileage
and had you not slowed down..it would have been even crappier....I am betting your van being like mine you pocketed at least a 20 dollar bill more....great effort tho....
10-15 loads a month?....$200-$300 in YOUR pocket each month...thats a pretty good raise right there...:)

Reactions: RoadTime

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter

Yeah, KC rates have gotten worse this year. About where Dallas is, most days. :(

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The carrier I do the most business with calculates all their loads at 45 mph. It's always adjusted to when I actually have the freight in my possession .. no questions asked. It's their practice & they stand up for it. Doesn't matter if that load has been bouncing around in cyberspace for 6 hrs & someone finally decided to award it. Clock starts whenever I get it.
Another carrier of mine has gotten into this idiotic practice of reducing time allotted for a load. As if promising to get it there quicker than a 45 mph avg will increase your chances of securing a shipment. Really? Is that actually happening in the marketplace? He & I have had a few discussions about this over the past ... idk ... several months or so. Correction ... sharp discussions ;) .....
Case in point ...
In Feb I booked a nice little run with carrier #2 - 850 mi - MN to WV - 50 lb box - .90 per mi. I arrive at the pickup location at 9:30 pm. A quick calculation shows me that the run is calculated at 55 mph. I get on the horn & tell 'em that there's been an error. He needs to correct it & confirm the time allotted for this run is 19 hrs & not 16 hrs. Those 3 hrs mean A LOT to me! Whether I use them or not is my discretion. He tells me he calculates all his runs between 50-55 mph. I told 'em I wasn't getting loaded until it was corrected. He calls me back & tells me that's how it was bid ... nothing he can do. I tell him I'm not accepting the load, cancel it! ... I'm going to sleep ..... get some other fool to do that run in that time .... not me. I get off the phone. He knew I'd walk away from the load. I'm not gonna kill myself over any load .... I don't give a crap what the circumstances are! He calls me back 2 min later & tells me to give him a few minutes. Few min later the allotted time was adjusted to 19 hrs.

Conclusion .... he calculates my times differently than he does for his other o/ops. How 'bout them apples!? I find that so much of this industry takes advantage of people indiscriminately when it can.

I think we have more control over these issues than we might imagine.
You don't wanna run that fast? ..... don't.

Reactions: brokcanadian

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I just do my best and let dispatch argue. You're not going to change what anybody thinks, if they haven't done what we do, they don't get it. Today I was on a "MUST BE THERE BY 8 AM!" And I waited 30 min for it to load because of shift change, and it was sent to a wrong address, different town by shipper . . . not going to lose sleep over it.

Still haven't figured out why there's a 2 hour window to pick up and deliver to security at an empty factory, but what do I know?

10 years ago I used to turn off my phone and blame it on bad cell phone service. Fortunately my dispatch now has a brain in their head, an accident guarantees the freight won't get there on time

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
The carrier I do the most business with calculates all their loads at 45 mph. It's always adjusted to when I actually have the freight in my possession .. no questions asked. It's their practice & they stand up for it. Doesn't matter if that load has been bouncing around in cyberspace for 6 hrs & someone finally decided to award it. Clock starts whenever I get it.
Another carrier of mine has gotten into this idiotic practice of reducing time allotted for a load. As if promising to get it there quicker than a 45 mph avg will increase your chances of securing a shipment. Really? Is that actually happening in the marketplace? He & I have had a few discussions about this over the past ... idk ... several months or so. Correction ... sharp discussions ;) .....
Case in point ...
In Feb I booked a nice little run with carrier #2 - 850 mi - MN to WV - 50 lb box - .90 per mi. I arrive at the pickup location at 9:30 pm. A quick calculation shows me that the run is calculated at 55 mph. I get on the horn & tell 'em that there's been an error. He needs to correct it & confirm the time allotted for this run is 19 hrs & not 16 hrs. Those 3 hrs mean A LOT to me! Whether I use them or not is my discretion. He tells me he calculates all his runs between 50-55 mph. I told 'em I wasn't getting loaded until it was corrected. He calls me back & tells me that's how it was bid ... nothing he can do. I tell him I'm not accepting the load, cancel it! ... I'm going to sleep ..... get some other fool to do that run in that time .... not me. I get off the phone. He knew I'd walk away from the load. I'm not gonna kill myself over any load .... I don't give a crap what the circumstances are! He calls me back 2 min later & tells me to give him a few minutes. Few min later the allotted time was adjusted to 19 hrs.

Conclusion .... he calculates my times differently than he does for his other o/ops. How 'bout them apples!? I find that so much of this industry takes advantage of people indiscriminately when it can.

I think we have more control over these issues than we might imagine.
You don't wanna run that fast? ..... don't.

Yeah gotta love that one..the idea of competing on speed is just silly..and then I had knuckleheads in this very forum calling me a sissy and whats an extra 5 mph?....freakin idiots.....IMO

and floating around in cyberspace...yep I get opportunities and an hour later or more the broker will finally make up their mind BUT the times don't change on the offer...besides the money, the times is the 2nd thing I look for...I check the paid miles route to see how much NON interstate is involved....

Reactions: Grizzly

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
To me slowing down and running a Lil below the flow of traffic isn't necessary about saving fuel money.. I know it does and will argue it to anyone. But running a bit slower insures traffic and that pack of trucks isn't running behind me. When something goes wrong in that cluster of traffic, I'm fairly certain I'm going to stop and get out of the way. Traffic behind me I'm not so sure of.
And of course I don't to beat the living he** out of my truck due to road conditions.

Reactions: RoadTime

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
To me slowing down and running a Lil below the flow of traffic isn't necessary about saving fuel money.. I know it does and will argue it to anyone. But running a bit slower insures traffic and that pack of trucks isn't running behind me. When something goes wrong in that cluster of traffic, I'm fairly certain I'm going to stop and get out of the way. Traffic behind me I'm not so sure of.
And of course I don't to beat the living he** out of my truck due to road conditions.
when it appears I am in a cluster/pack I either step it up a bit or slow down whatever it takes till the pack sorts its way out....for the safety of all out there...

fifaref2

Seasoned Expediter
We should be late for pick ups more often...we keep baling out these darned brokers by making the P/U times by hurrying...they've had the load for some time and by the time they sell it, re sell it then post it on a board...the blame should be directed at THEM...but the blame where it belongs...inform the shipper that its their agents fault for play games...
My current load hits home on the subj. of times for loads. 1845 pu. Leave 75 minutes early to go 42mi. Chicago traffic has other ideas. Arrive 27 minutes after protect due to 3 major slowdowns w/ 1 being an accident. Shipper says were closed for a luncheon for the next 90 minutes. 90 minutes became 2 hours until someone was in the shipping office. About 40 minutes after that I'm loaded. 18 hours was allotted from the beginning for the trip. As someone else mentioned, I think the 18 hour clock should start when I'm actually loaded. If I'm loaded late and could still make the protect drop time that's wonderful but at what cost. As it is now I'm facing Nashville Chattanooga and ATL morning traffic. 2.5-3 hrs to spare to make original protect time. Loaded 3 hrs after original protect time. Don't see me making the original drop time on this one.

Reactions: ntimevan

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
You left at 17:30 an thought you'd do 42 miles through Chicago in an hour and a quarter ?

First time in the Windy City ?

fifaref2

Seasoned Expediter
You left at 17:30 an thought you'd do 42 miles through Chicago in an hour and a quarter ?

First time in the Windy City ?
I live in Chicago, current traffic flow showed more than enough time to do it. That changed due to the 1 accident 5 miles down the rd.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
My current load hits home on the subj. of times for loads. 1845 pu. Leave 75 minutes early to go 42mi. Chicago traffic has other ideas. Arrive 27 minutes after protect due to 3 major slowdowns w/ 1 being an accident. Shipper says were closed for a luncheon for the next 90 minutes. 90 minutes became 2 hours until someone was in the shipping office. About 40 minutes after that I'm loaded. 18 hours was allotted from the beginning for the trip. As someone else mentioned, I think the 18 hour clock should start when I'm actually loaded. If I'm loaded late and could still make the protect drop time that's wonderful but at what cost. As it is now I'm facing Nashville Chattanooga and ATL morning traffic. 2.5-3 hrs to spare to make original protect time. Loaded 3 hrs after original protect time. Don't see me making the original drop time on this one.
Be safe and don't make it then... The contract was broke as soon as they went for lunch ...all bets were off at that point! Don't be a hero..Good luck