Proper etiquette for the Expediter

carpunky

Expert Expediter
Hello,

I am re-entering the expediter feild after years of being absent.

I am very lucky and had a former employer who I was contracted to by another O/O . He asked me if I would like to drive locally for him.
I must have did something right, he is a great guy so that makes a big differ for me.

He has about 6 trucks running in the ST Louis area that expedite to the airports and local businesses etc.

During my former short driving career, I was always unsure of where to park at truckstops and rest stops being in a Straight truck. I am sure there will be a few out of town runs and want to clear this matter up.

Is there any certain place that straight trucks should park at these locations ? I usually just found a local motel and stayed in the parking lot.

Also at the flying J's etc..should i pull up hood to hood with the big trucks that are parked there, I noticed that I would get dirty looks if I had my tail lined up with theres...I generally thought people would pull in from behind and they could see that the spot was taken more clearly..but if they pulled up front it would like like the space was empty and I could see them cussing at me !

What about the Weigh stations...I was told to avoid them as much as possible ( not by this employer )before but ...by law arent straight trucks required to stop also ?

What is the differ from a weigh station and a port of call ( or something like that )

Will I be required to keep a log if just doing local, If not , Do I just start one when I take a trip out of the 100 mile radius ?

Thanks

Jeff

Twmaster

Expert Expediter
I've been driving straight trucks for 15 years. I usually park in the area that the RV's park in. I see lots of Expedite trucks and bob tail tractors doing the same. I agree it would be bad to eat up a spot where the big trucks ;) park.

As for the scales yes you are required to go through them.

--
Mike N

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I also park up front,I can't see taking up a spot that some guy pulling a 53 footer and desperately needs the mens room has to go around me.
I rarely have had any problems parking with the RV croud.I also do a lot of Walmarts,Krogers,Winn Dixies ,Meyers etc. I just want something that is open all night. As far as weigh stations go you should not try to avoid them,if you are trying to sneak down a country road and get caught the penalty will be much greater. Some States out west have what they call a Port of Entry station,if you get pulled in there they will want to see all of your credentials,such as IRP,Ifta permit,Insurance and so on.
I believe the laws are that when you are aover 100 miles from home and your vehicle is over 10,000 GVW you have to log.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Security guard recently ran our C truck out of the front to the back lot.He only did this after a RV`er complained.They are doing their best to court the RV business,even though they buy little fuel and only use truck stops to avoid paying at the RV parks.If truck stop operators had any brains they would provide more spaces for Bob Tail,and straight trucks.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
One of the things I do at a Walmart etc if I think security is going to be a problem is too fill out a generic bill of lading (that you can buy at office depot) and have it say that you have a delivery for that particular store,but in Big Letters say "Do not Deliver Early" and have the delivery date the next day. Always works.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
That is what I love about expediting. I learn something everyday. I will have to adopt that Wal-mart stradegy:)

Twmaster

Expert Expediter
>One of the things I do at a Walmart etc if I think security
>is going to be a problem is too fill out a generic bill of
>lading (that you can buy at office depot) and have it say
>that you have a delivery for that particular store,but in
>Big Letters say "Do not Deliver Early" and have the delivery
>date the next day. Always works.

Oooooh! I love it!

--
Mike N

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I usually fill it out with 4 pallets of electrical equipment. I make the shipper to be AAA Electrical Supply from somehere,sometimes I write in BIG letters ,meet GE Rep Jack Welsh or FDX Rep Tom Hanks..

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Parking a straight truck is always a crap shoot. We've been run out of an RV parking area of a truck stop by the truck stop manager. He said they don't want trucks there because we'd attract other trucks after their truck lot fills up. He told us to park with the big trucks instead.

The first place we look to park at a truck stop is the bobtail area if they have one. Straight trucks fit nicely there. Last choice, but an OK choice, is to park in a big truck spot.

RichM has more guts than we do using his bill of lading trick. Fraudulant shipping papers are illegal in a commercial vehicle. While the chances of being caught are slim, it's not a risk we're willing to take.

X1_SRH

Expert Expediter
Some truck stops have big light poles on a concrete base in their lots. You can't get a 53 footer in there, but a straight truck will fit just fine. I always tried to be courteous and leave the big spots for big trucks... and I personally would shy away from the false bill of lading trick, but maybe that's just me.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I think RichM is using it at the Wal-Mart only. And if he had for example an electrical extension cord, he can legally write his own BOL. BOL do not specifically have to come from a shipper. It would be the same if you are moving something for a relative. You can generate a BOL and have it deliver to anywhere you want.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
The fact remains you are still creating a false document to trick yourself onto someone elses private property that does not want you to park your truck there. Why go where you are not welcome? There are other places to park and use the bathrooms. It may involve extra driving, but private property rights should be respected. This thread started with a question about etiquette. Good manners on the road help everyone in the insustry. Bad manners motivate people to put up "No Trucks" signs.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Hey Mr A Team,a while back on your Expediters Life Style article you said in one case that you stayed in a Super Market Parking lot till they closed. That sounds like private property to me similar to Walmart...}>

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Sometimes one can run into the unforseen. If I was out of hours and it was a decision between a Wal-Mart lot or driving illegal, it would be the Wal-mart lot everytime. Since I am a customer, I have no guilt in using their lot if nessessary. We have only been ask to leave a Wal-Mart once. It wasn't Wal-mart that asked, it was a local cop giving us the boot because of a local ordinance. He said he couldn't enforce it a block away at K-mart, so we parked there. I think there is a significant difference between parking in someones driveway (private) and a shopping center(public).

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I should mention, that most NO TRUCK signs are genearated by drivers leaving urine bottles and trash, rather than just the single issue of a truck parked on there lot. If we are addressing manners, this is a big one. Pick up your own garbage!

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I think it's best if we lock this post down, started out ok ,getting into a urinating contest.LOL:D