Promaster Disaster

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
...and I'm pretty sure Moot's were OPT7.
Yeah, I installed OPT7s two years ago, both low and high beams. The high beams are lacking a bit on distance but the low beams are fantastic. Nice sharp white, wide beam that doesn't blind oncoming traffic. On my Transit when I first turn on the headlights I get a short warning chime followed by a screen stating low beam error that lasts about 10 seconds and disappears.
Opt 7 Led Headlights 1.JPG
.Opt7 parts.JPG

Rmany

Seasoned Expediter
Researching
You should have bought a Transit. The biggest problem I have found is that almost all your maintenance has to be done in a dealership. I have a repair shop here at home that kept my Chevy Express running great till over 600,000 miles. But when I brought my 2016 Transit in for brakes, they told me they couldn't do them because it has to be hooked up to a machine to turn the rotors. The same thing with flushing the transmission fluid. So I have accepted that fact and do all my maintenance at a dealership, with the exception of my monthly oil changes which I use the drive-thru Valvoline shops. The dealerships are definitely more expensive, but the work is guaranteed all over the country.
Besides those issues, I have been very happy with my Transit, I bought the high roof and extended length version. I lost so much freight with that tiny Chevy Express that I wanted as may options as possible My van has been on the road for exactly 2 years this weekend, and I have 227,000 miles on it. I find I have very little wait time now, and I have to think some of that is because of my dimensions.
Hello I am currently looking at a 2015 or newer Transit as you have ie Extended Wheelbase with long body and Hi roof. 3.7 gas engine. No windows side or rear. Do you have hinged side doors or slider? Do carry 3 pallets usually? Also, do you have a cot behind seats with or without a wall between pallets and bed area? I would like to pick your brains truly. I need to know a realistic estimate of fuel mileage/costs and insurance etc. I have been offered a contract to solo operate for a reputable freight co expediting. I also have a potential driver to team up with--but am not convinced yet of her commitment to doing this. I looked at a new 2018 they gave me a off the lot price of $37,600. A extended full premium warranty adds another 3K ANY advice or counsel you can provide will be GREATLY appreciated.

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I went to LED's last year. They were just slightly more expensive than a pair of SilverStar Ultra's. Clean white light and no more changing bulbs freezing my tuckas off in some parking lot. Lots out there...you generally get what you pay for. 5000k is pure white, lower k numbers mean more yellow and higher mean more blue (generally speaking).
I'm very interested in going to LED's now. I didn't know they made them for headlights. I can get them for my Sprinter. Kind of pricey at this site $100 each 6K lumens 60K hours (what they consider lifetime). Plug and play without adapter options available. For Promaster and others. They also sell warning canceller adapters if needed.

Low Beam: H7 LED Headlight Conversion Kit

Sent from my P00I using EO Forums mobile app

I was wrong on the lumens 6K color temperature (whatever that is)

Our high efficiency LED's put out an amazing 6000K color temperature that is absolutely perfect for looks and visibility. Our lights put out 4000 lumens each for the best visibility that money can buy, while maintaining your factory beam pattern so you are not annoying the other drivers. Compare this to your factory halogens that put out 1200 lumens. These are over 3X brighter! These are designed in aircraft grade CNC machined housings that are engineered right, so there is a perfect beam with no light scatter.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Ntimevan- why haven’t you had parking brake cable issues ?
I realize you don’t park as often or as long.
Are you using wheel chocks ?

Reactions: ntimevan

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ntimevan- why haven’t you had parking brake cable issues ?
I realize you don’t park as often or as long.
Are you using wheel chocks ?
Gas model ... Yes i use wheel chocks and my E brake when loading & unloading .. No Problems ..

☠.. Online courses now available for Pot Stirring

Reactions: DollarSign

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
There are LED’s that will work in a promaster but they don’t fit into the already snug housing without modification.
A search of the promaster forums will show the options.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I was wrong on the lumens 6K color temperature (whatever that is)

6k is a fairly blue tinted light. While cool looking, the more blue in the light the more apparent glare it will produce at oncoming traffic.

6k lights are usually found in small sporty cars with backwards hat wearing dudes who wanna be rad and epic.....or other things I haven't understood since I turned 40.

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
6k is a fairly blue tinted light. While cool looking, the more blue in the light the more apparent glare it will produce at oncoming traffic.

6k lights are usually found in small sporty cars with backwards hat wearing dudes who wanna be rad and epic.....or other things I haven't understood since I turned 40.
Ahhh, those must be the ones I hate to see.
The lights that is

Sent from my P00I using EO Forums mobile app

Reactions: DollarSign

tumbleweeds

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
396K gasser. Headlights are lasting longer. Still original engine and transmission but a lot of new parts. Always takes a while to get parts cuz everything’s proprietary. This week was radiator fan. Dealer said 330 were on backorder. Finally found one at a different dealer but only if they get the install. Got done today. Lost so much time waiting for parts in the last 3.5 years, cost way more than repairs.

tumbleweeds

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I’m thinking GMC or Chevy box truck. 12’ or 14’ under 10,000 if I can find one. It would be cheaper to take the hit on fuel cost. I will go from 17.5 down to 14-15mpg. But mpg’s are not everything. The Promaster has not been awful just an irritant that eats at me. My old Chevy needed a water pump and brakes after 400K. That was about it. (I do wish Toyota would make a big van).

Reactions: xmudman