Promaster Disaster

Charity's Van

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
promaster diesels are automated manuals, there is no park. anyone that has owned a promaster diesel knows that parking brakes stay stuck on in low temps. sometimes they release sometimes not. it is a well known problem that has no real cure. lubing the cables helps; but there are many owners that have burnt up the park brake pads over stuck cables. as for fuel mileage the 16.2 is for the last 35k miles, including the few nights i idled to stay warm. i have a best of 22.8 mpg and last tank was 17.9. wind is a big factor in mileage. i am not a speedy guy. im still trying to learn this vans sweet spot on mileage. i usually drive somewhere between 62 to 67 mph. my mpg have been all over the map with wind and hills being the main culprit to lower miles.

Reactions: ntimevan

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
On of my wife’s friends had a delivery in Key West so she stopped over for a little rest, she drives a 2014 promaster and when I heard her coming around the corner I heard the ticking. It has 410,000 miles in it and has been making noise since 200,000. I’m curious to see how long it lasts before it quits.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
On of my wife’s friends had a delivery in Key West so she stopped over for a little rest, she drives a 2014 promaster and when I heard her coming around the corner I heard the ticking. It has 410,000 miles in it and has been making noise since 200,000. I’m curious to see how long it lasts before it quits.

That’s a great safety feature like loud pipes on bikes

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

That’s a great safety feature like loud pipes on bikes
One stop to the Dodge dealer in Madison, Tn.. and ticking problem and other issues will be gone ... that young mechanic knows his stuff ..

☠.. Online courses now available for Pot Stirring

Airtime

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Thanks for the info ntimevan. Sounds like I will need to find this mechanic if I go with the PM 3500 ext. gasser. 3.6l pentastar . Still for sure a IF. Trying to do lots of research on it. Name of the fella if you can share it?

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks for the info ntimevan. Sounds like I will need to find this mechanic if I go with the PM 3500 ext. gasser. 3.6l pentastar . Still for sure a IF. Trying to do lots of research on it. Name of the fella if you can share it?
He works at ...(age early 30s)

Bob Frensley Dodge
Madison , Tn...
Just off of I-65 N ... north of Nashville, Tn..

Airtime

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Thanks again, I,m reading info on the roller rocker bearing failing, up on you tube as well. Tickity tick once the little bearings go in a rocker.Not a huge repair to tackle but shouldn't be happening, I,m sure we all do proper oil change intervals and run the good synthetics. The van has pluses for me as in the low load floor step in height, front wheel drive(4-5 months of winter here)no rear end transit problems I read about and the fact that I have previous experience with running a promaster. I can,t get past the Ford,s rear overhang on the body. They need to extend the wheelbase a foot at least on the extend,s. 1/4 mile wheelie vans...hit the Eco-boost . Yeeee haw

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I can,t get past the Ford,s rear overhang on the body. They need to extend the wheelbase a foot at least on the extend,s. 1/4 mile wheelie vans...hit the Eco-boost . Yeeee haw
I agree. I believe Ford's thinking both with the Econolines and the Transits is their main market is trades people, city delivery and people movers (passenger wagons) where maneuverability is more important than weight distribution.

Despite the short wheelbase I bought a Transit anyway. I only give my carrier 2400 lbs. and after almost 3 years have had no problems with weight distribution. It does require some extra thought and planning when loading.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ntimevan, have you or any other ProMaster owners you know switched to LED headlight lamps?

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ntimevan, have you or any other ProMaster owners you know switched to LED headlight lamps?
Nope ... but i know another RRE Driver thats looking into it .. i heard there is a Special adapter that needs purchased separately... i will see how it works for him ... First ...lol

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The year prior to retirement I was looking to switch a class 8 to LEDs.
I gave up the thought when a friend had one go out and a replacement was $800.00.
Change complete assembly.
He told me some Freightliner dealers would sell them in pairs only !
My thought was my truck will never be OOS waiting for a headlamp replacement.

I hope they’ve improved since I retired.
You know, like the rates.

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I went to LED's last year. They were just slightly more expensive than a pair of SilverStar Ultra's. Clean white light and no more changing bulbs freezing my tuckas off in some parking lot. Lots out there...you generally get what you pay for. 5000k is pure white, lower k numbers mean more yellow and higher mean more blue (generally speaking).

Reactions: RoadTime

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I went to LED's last year. They were just slightly more expensive than a pair of SilverStar Ultra's. Clean white light and no more changing bulbs freezing my tuckas off in some parking lot. Lots out there...you generally get what you pay for. 5000k is pure white, lower k numbers mean more yellow and higher mean more blue (generally speaking).
If you could answer a couple questions...
Did you need a Special adapter to use the LED. .?
Does LED have alittle fan built in ...? Burn Hot ..?
Price ..? Where bought at ..?

Thanks from several. PM Owners ..

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I bought mine off Amazon and they were a brand called Cougar Motor (Chinese...imagine!) and I'm pretty sure Moot's were OPT7. Mine do have a mag drive fan on the back (means it's waterproof). I've seen some that have foil like strips instead of the fan for cooling....so you need to know how musch space you have to work with before you order. Mine were plug n play. There is a small transformer/driver thingy about the size of a pack of gum that one end plugs into the bulb and the other directly into the factory light wiring...all with nice factory type seals.

Mine don't burn hot...in fact I needed to wax my headlight lenses to help keep the snow from sticking to them as there isn't much heat to melt it off now.

I tried posting a link but it opens my Amazon app. Price was $43.99/pair.

akkshole

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
I will be changing over to LED soon, also considering having some custom work done as my low beams are aimed higher than the high beams, for me to not blind other drivers, my high beams shine so low to almost be unusable. It's as if they put them in backwards but it's all one unit. Anyone else have that problem with aim height?

Sent from my SM-G950U using EO Forums mobile app