Promaster diesel?

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Charity's van aside, who's running a diesel with lots of miles? I like the proven 4 cyl and the manumatic, I dislike the flywheel problems, and dodge emissions bits...

There's always a Transit diesel to fall back on, but I don't need a higher roof than the door opening...

Unfortunately I can't get the post from A. Blair Enterprises about the 47 sprinters out of my mind...probably will sell this 2005 and get some money out while people are still paying outrageous prices for them...on paper at least, I could cut costs even more with the Promaster (besides financing) and ensure I'd meet all requirements for carrier/customers

I know, I know...but I didn't forsee actual MONEY in this :D (newbies close your ears I've got 10 years in, easy insurance and I know what I'm doing)

Reactions: jcochristoph

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think the 47 sprinters was over time not all at once. I believe he has had Promasters for a few years.
Yep, 1 or 2 years, he has gone to promaster / transit as fast as he can. MB indifference to the problem spurred it on.

The Transit diesels has been cracked, affording me the chance to temporarily turn off the offending emissions at least, since I plan to run legal... I think the Promaster has been too but no source, as far as I know above 2012 sprinters will still leave you with a no start unless fixed ( or you can take your chances flashing with an Internet ROM hopefully that won't turn it into a very large brick)

Reactions: in-Transit

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
Don't see a lot of Promaster diesels out here. I know the 14 was bad for both gas and diesel. Haven't heard anything about them. Also there to short

You've got to remember A. Blair had drivers in there's. When you don't own it your not going to take care of it. If I was you keep your 05 if nothing is wrong with it.

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
160" is too short? Same as what I'm driving, 2005 sprinter...if they could crack those 2014 sprinters with the 4 I'd do that

I love my PM .... but its gas ... stay away from the diesel ... no Park and not proven ...yet

bikerpaul

Expert Expediter
My 2015 PM has had very little problems, but all the maintenance is being done by the owner, Yark Auto. If I ever got back into Expediting, I would get a PM.

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
There is one guy on here with a diesel promaster. Ysracer, I believe is his name. Last time I talked to him he was still happy with his van.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I thought Promaster was shorter than that. I've heard drivers tell me 3plts and no room in the back. Must have gotten bad info.
Many models and lengths like Transit
I love my PM .... but its gas ... stay away from the diesel ... no Park and not proven ...yet
When is it going to be proven? I half think they're part of a secret club, not wanting too reveal their advantage (what happens in the Promaster, STAYS in the Promaster)

And no park! Awesome theft proof, they'd be so confused a thief would run away screaming

(Edit: the CHEAPEST long and tall in my area is 37,000 CDN for a long and tall 2014 3500 and there's 1)

Reactions: Charity's Van

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
Don't buy the 2014. First year made. You never buy a first year made IMHO. Yes I know there different sizes. Thought even with the longest one thought 3plts and no room.

Ftransit

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Be honest how many 3 pallet loads does anyone get and stay legal on their weight? When we offered the full capacity of our van we were always asked can't you just take 300 or 400 more pounds.

Reactions: Turtle and ntimevan

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It varies like everything else. I had 3 pallets a couple days ago, total weight 800lbs. It's like having a hazmat or anything else, the more you can make yourself available too the more load offers your going to have. Will you make 20 grand a year more hauling 3 pallets, nope. Can you make 6 or seven extra, probably. It can especially help when freight is slow or an area crowed with vans.

Sent from my SM-G925T using EO Forums mobile app

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Don't buy the 2014. First year made. You never buy a first year made IMHO. Yes I know there different sizes. Thought even with the longest one thought 3plts and no room.

Check on Manufactures date plate on drivers door to see when assembled ... my 2014 was made April 2014 .. and i now have 287,000 miles on it . .. get the 3500 model as the 159 inches inside a plus ... i don't worry about being FULL up with freight ... doesn't happen that often and if its not a direct shipment then They pay for my Motel room ...
In my opinion Anything over 3000 lbs Legal or 150 inches in floor length if You don't get Paid Str-8 truck rate on that Load then you are screwing yourself and Wearing out the van for :censoredsign: rates ... so if upfront carrier doesn't agree to pay you more on over sized loads .. then don't give them the space ...
Oh.. yes its Gas model

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I can understand what your saying but I've had single skids weigh more than 3 skids. A person just needs to decide what's important to them. Me I'm way past sleeping in a front seat, some younger people it might not bother so much.

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I can understand what your saying but I've had single skids weigh more than 3 skids. A person just needs to decide what's important to them. Me I'm way past sleeping in a front seat, some younger people it might not bother so much.

No Sleepy in front seat for me .. and most of our stuff averages less than 2 skids and 1000 lbs.... and yes everyone has different ideas depending on carrier their with ... my biggest thing is Wait -time between loads .... if your waiting 2 to 3 days between loads during the week .. then i would have Bigger area for personal area ... but we do 4 to 5 loads during weekdays ... so when empty you better be sleeping ... on weekends its more relax time if not on a load .. either i am at home or if out on road i find things to do ... antiques , flea markets , movies ....i cannot just Sit in my van ... sorry i drive and sleep in it enough during week .. getting out and away from it is a must for me .... but others choose to live in their van and thats fine just not my cup of tea...;)

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've had enough loads to know I'll need the capacity. My sprinter's full front to back and top to bottom at least once a week.

I think it would be useful for us to post model and actual dimensions somewhere...i know there's drivers out there who have no idea, like the Sprinter driver who thought he was driving the extended, and was even parked beside an extended and couldn't tell the difference

From what I gather, in the Promaster you need a 3500 to get the longest and tallest...Transit you need to get the highest roof to get a few inches more in the door opening...Sprinter you have to make sure you measure it or eyeball the body curve at the rear sides, if there's not a foot behind that curve it's not the longest one...

I know some don't need the space, but for me it costs the same and opens up more freight

(Weight aside...a short high roof Promaster can take around a 4000 lb skid but I see more larger lighter loads personally)

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
my 2014 was made April 2014 .. and i now have 287,000 miles on it . ..
You're my Guinea pig :D you've already got all I imagined a gas 6 cylinder to be good for...if you keep driving it without blowing up I'll definitely have to adjust my attitudes