Progressive raising rates

paullud

Veteran Expediter
It is self serving to label a multi carrier business model as unethical just because they make it hard for you to compete.

The multi carrier model usually isn't labeled as unethical despite the fact there are tons of stories about companies not paying, but it is labeled as a poor business plan.

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Its like the Concorde having the best safety record and one crash turning it into the worst. (Hopefully you'll have landed when you read this)

Exactly what I was saying. No, I am still at 34,000 feet but thanks for the positive thoughts! LOL

zorry

Veteran Expediter
In the 70's our insurance agent's brother couldn't afford the insurance increase on his 15 truck milk tanker fleet.
Many many years without a claim.
The actuary tables said "He was due."

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Becoming a Dairy farmer is pretty easy and there are very low barriers to entry. It is so easy to get into that if they didn't fix the price of a gallon of milk no one would make any money!

You obviously didn't grow up on a dairy farm[/QUOTE]

I said the barriers to entry are very easy. I didn't say the work was easy.

BigBadBill

Active Expediter
Tomtom, most of the issues I have seen around this have come from small carriers looking for a foot hold. I never have to worry when I am working with an exclusive carrier when booking van freight that they are under insured. But we better know the carrier real well before we trust that they are not committing fraud with insurance levels. I don't want them to be certificate holders but additional insured.

Any carrier that understands the risks (and surprisingly there are many that don't) of allowing someone to be under insured and commits fraud in the process will not be in business for long. While I can believe that some recruiter may have been trying to meet numbers for a month I would be very surprised to see this happen at higher levels of any major companies. But I see marketing material from small companies promoting this practice.

Maybe this is something we should have Sylectus address?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Tomtom, most of the issues I have seen around this have come from small carriers looking for a foot hold. I never have to worry when I am working with an exclusive carrier when booking van freight that they are under insured. But we better know the carrier real well before we trust that they are not committing fraud with insurance levels. I don't want them to be certificate holders but additional insured.

Any carrier that understands the risks (and surprisingly there are many that don't) of allowing someone to be under insured and commits fraud in the process will not be in business for long. While I can believe that some recruiter may have been trying to meet numbers for a month I would be very surprised to see this happen at higher levels of any major companies. But I see marketing material from small companies promoting this practice.

Maybe this is something we should have Sylectus address?

It would be in Sylectus's best interest if they would....review each member thoriughly and then expel anyone who is not up to par...
Same could be said for the load boards....to closely exam everyone's papers...

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Sylectus is a software company, they won't venture into this mess. Honestly I don't blame them.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
If an under-insured truck, hauling a load off Sylectus,killed my family,I would want my lawyers to go after their deep pockets.

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Well you could sue Microsoft too if they emailed the load order but again they are going to say we are a software company. IMHO.

Swamp30

Active Expediter
Or the internet provider can be sued for transmitting the data..or the mouse manufacturer for clicking thr accept buttom. Or maybe sue Stu for designing sylectus..or qualcomm cause they bought them..or sue load1 for being apart of the alliance even though it was another company's truck..or goodyear for the tires the truck had on..heck sue the goverment for building the road.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I've witnessed the truck,trailer,and fifth wheel manufacturer all sued along with the carrier.
If Selectus' main business is to line up freight at low price,and this includes using under-insured carriers. I would think they may have some liability.
The courts would likely figure that out.
I knew a shyster lawyer. They follow the money. The under-insured carrier will not have the money.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
and you can't get blood out of A stone either....sue all you want...

but then again you can get a million for a hot coffee....:)

zorry

Veteran Expediter
The point of my post is if Selectus hasn't asked their scope of liability,maybe they need to check.
Better to be over-insured than under-insured.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
If I'm wrong it wouldn't be the first time.
Didn't CH get sued after an accident with a load they brokered ?
I really didn't follow that issue.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think what your missing is that sylectus is a software tool, and nothing more. At least that's what I'm seeing?

Last edited:

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Ok. But someone is allowing underinsured vehicles access to the freight.
You cannot let the fox guard the henhouse.

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Like the CH situation, it is the brokers responsibility to vet the carriers credentials.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
OK. I'm not familiar with Selectus. I thought they were a broker that used a web based program.
It would then be the broker, that posts on Selectus that needs to pay attention to the details.