Canada Process for crossing border "IN BOND"

prelude2

Active Expediter
Could someone explain the process of crossing the Peace Bridge border from the US entering Canada with a shipment that is 'IN BOND". Mainly what sort of additional paperwork if any is to be presented to customs by me the driver. Currently I cross twice a week with normal shipments that UPS clears with just a Commercial Customs Invoice and PARS barcode.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
There shouldn't be any other paper work than what they have given you and you have to make sure that you have clearance to enter Canada before you get to the bridge. I call and get the ok directly from the broker who is overseeing the load, not the company.

The In-Bond means that the thing you are hauling is not having the duties collected at the time of entry and may be going to a bonded warehouse for storage for collection later. A lot of things I hauled this year were going into Canada for "processing" or modifications and were In-Bond loads.

60MPH

Expert Expediter
Yep and sometimes it comes back to the U.S. after modification, or goes to another country like CHINA.

60MPH

Expert Expediter
Good advice Greg ALWAYS deal with the broker yourself, letting a carrier put there hands in it causes delays, problems etc.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Another thing, as I was talking to another EO member last night about this issue, there are a few brokers who have idiots manning the phones, Livingston is one such place. Remember that they don't care, their commission is collected in bulk and they can afford to make people sit.

I've had problems with Livingston on what I call standard shipments (the same exact thing every time). They would sit on the order until I appeared at their window and ask them to process it.

The last non-standard load I did a few weeks back I dealt with a great broker - Near North Customs. The weekend people were just absolutely great to work with and they ensured everything was right before I left the shipper.

60MPH

Expert Expediter
Another thing, as I was talking to another EO member last night about this issue, there are a few brokers who have idiots manning the phones, Livingston is one such place. Remember that they don't care, their commission is collected in bulk and they can afford to make people sit.

I've had problems with Livingston on what I call standard shipments (the same exact thing every time). They would sit on the order until I appeared at their window and ask them to process it.

The last non-standard load I did a few weeks back I dealt with a great broker - Near North Customs. The weekend people were just absolutely great to work with and they ensured everything was right before I left the shipper.

When I deal with the big "L" I ask what TEAM is assigned to the Client (who's paying duty) then ask for what office and the phone number for that team, I call them directly and let them know that this is a expedited shipment and the truck is less than 30 mins (which is sometimes a lie) away form the border. Most of my Livingston loads are handled by Team 8 and I know most of the people on the team so I call them and fax them the paperwork directly, they always have it sent to the CSA within 30-45 mins form the time I faxed it.

As for Custom Brokers I prefer UPS supply chain logistics and Affiliated/Buckland they seem to process my paperwork quickly.

RobA

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
First off; to cross IN BOND you must be with a Canada Customs Bonded Carrier.
If you are crossing at The Peace Bridge at Buffalo/ Fort Erie and traveling on a continuous trip to Michigan at Windsor- Detroit or Sarnia - Port Huron you will have to visit Canada Customs and prepare a form A8B.
If you are going In Bond to clear at a Highway Sufferance Warehouse an A8A manifest will be required. Your carrier must have the forms and identified bar codes.
Please refer to Canada Customs D memo D3
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/dm-md/d3/d3-4-5-eng.pdf
This is the link to the regulations for an In transit move.

Could someone explain the process of crossing the Peace Bridge border from the US entering Canada with a shipment that is 'IN BOND". Mainly what sort of additional paperwork if any is to be presented to customs by me the driver. Currently I cross twice a week with normal shipments that UPS clears with just a Commercial Customs Invoice and PARS barcode.

RobA

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Disclaimer - I do not work for Big L although I did work for some of their predecessor companies way back in the day circa 1975 to 1985.
Greg: What do you mean by the phrase "they collect their commission in bulk"?
Brokerage is collected for each transaction based on several factors including the type of transaction(entry), the work involved and the value of the shipment.
All entries, prior to release, up to 250 invoice lines must be submitted by being typed into Customs system. This takes time. I have no idea what internal procedures Big L uses today and I have heard many times that they take longer to get entries submitted.
I will suggest to you that their high volumes might be a factor but that is only speculation on my part. I doubt they hire "idiots" and doubt that they "don't care" but that is as far as I will go in their defence.
Best of the Season!

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I mean just that, when they have one customer who they do 90% of the customer's work for, they bill in bulk for the previous months worth of work which means they collect the fees and commission at the same time with a detailed single bill. I have been involved with this customer from beginning to end of a shipment several times. Someone at Livingston admitted that the delays are not an issue for them, seeing that they can always fall back on the "customs" system being slow to cover themselves.