Problems with Freightliner?

Italiangrl

Expert Expediter
Hi, I am just being curious. Anyone else out there with a Freightliner having problem with their service garages and so called service points (TA)? We have had such bad luck at most of these places we take our trucks to I can't even describe. There hours of service are rediculous, they don't have parts in stock, can't get to you for 2-3 days. Then, when you drive out of there after being fixed, its less than a day and whatever they've fixed is still not right. I would think these places would cater to drivers and realize that time is money. One of my trucks were at a TA a couple weeks ago to get a serpentene belt on and it took them 3 1/2 hours. Come to find out the mechanics weren't even certified. Any comments would be appreciated. I'm at my wits end.. Thanks

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Those guys are generally pretty good when it comes to routine stuff such as alternators,water pumps,wheel bearings the common problems that trucks roll in for,anything beyond that level it's hit or miss.
If you were a ASCE mechanic with lots of experience ,would you want to work at a T/A for $12.00 an hour or work for a carrier or dealer for $20.00 a hour

Italiangrl

Expert Expediter
I hear what your saying. I just wish I had that experience. It took us 3 shops in 2 days to finally find out what our trucks problem was. I'm not bashing anyone hear just trying to find out if its just my luck or if anyone else is unhappy.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Some of it depends on truck age and what is under warranty. We came to the conclusion that most have no parts. So we take ours to KW who usually gets the parts and doesn't charge outrages fees to ship something they don't have.
I will say we have had our Sterling into a couple of shops for minor items and they were reasonable and very quick service. Even on a Sat in NM we needed some filters because of a power loss. Don't buy Baldwin filters if your running a C9. New filters and running great. Out the door in one hour.
Kudos to Sterling in albuquerque

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

bigjoep89

Expert Expediter
Concrete truck driver 15 years
Concrete sales mgr, 13 years.
Expediter 1.5 years.

I do not think there is enough room on this web site to explain all the problems we have had at TA shops. I will say this if you can find a Corporate owned TA the service is much better.

raceman

Veteran Expediter
Well Rich says it pretty well about TA. I want to add also to DaveKC that we are talking Freightliner here. Everything I have every gone into KW PB or Sterling has been top notch. Now I have only gone to those places for extras, parts, oil etc. I own Fr8Sshkrs, well fr8shkr now. In any case to answer the oringinal question, I offer the following:

Find yourself a good shop in your home town. Not A Freightliner but a good shop, preferably private owned. Develop a trusting relationship with them and have them do as much as possible and simply do as much as possible there.

I have done that now for going on two years. There is a mechanic that basically owns my business in that shop. He is responsible for my truck and treats as he would treat his own and the owners pay him for that.

Now for some reason I am drawing a blank on the name of this company but they are taking the oil change, PM and tire business across the country by storm and they seem to do it right. I would look for them and I know it would be easier if I gave the name. LoL. I will put it up when I think of it if someone else does not.

Freightliners and TAs just don't seem to give a ##### anymore. They sure do not take care of the little guy at Freightliner. Who in the world as an O/O can be down weeks at a time. NOt me

Raceman
OTR O/O

TJ959

Veteran Expediter
I sold my Freightliner about a year ago but I found very few Freightliner dealers that seemed to care at all. Least of all the one nearest my home. I must say though that the dealer in Texarcana Texas really helped me out and was reasonably priced too. I guess this proves the old saying. They can't all be bad.

Italiangrl

Expert Expediter
Raceman I will await the name of the shop you go to. I have looked in my area with no avail. Anyone know of one in the Akron - Cleveland area?

Thanks

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
There are some real good Freightliner dealers. The problem is, there is only a few. Like other owners, I hope they change some of the practices. Most in expediting, myself included, have little time for a bunch of games. Including but not limited to, waiting days for parts, charging outragous prices to have parts shipped in that they should stock. And I am talking specifically maintenence items. Waiting days or weeks for a simple repair. Mechanics trying to fix problems that they aren't qualified to fix which results in a trial by error until they actually fix the problem.
I could go on but it comes down to earned trust. I think Freightliner makes a decent product but falls way short of expectations on a national service level.
Again, there are some great dealerships, but they are few and far between. Until they clean up their act, I believe they will consistantly lose the business of the owner operators.
I am a small operation that has a obligation to my teams, and I am not about to gamble their time and income or mine on a "maybe we can squeeze you in for that simple repair over the next week or so"
I much prefer a dealership that is responsive to our needs, rather than the other way around.
Many actually forget who the customer is?

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator