Canada Problems entering Canada?

OhioStomper

Expert Expediter
Hey everyone. I posted here a few months ago about maybe entering expediting. I decided against it and took a job with my dad hauling car parts and steel. Monotonous, but steady, good paying work.
Anyway, he has been offered a contract to haul six loads per day from southern Ohio to Windsor, Canada. I have crossed the border a few times in a car on vacation, but never in a truck. What makes it so difficult that drivers don't want to cross? My dad use to cross it hauling lumber in the 80's, but it seems like people really are against it these days. So what gives? Is it really that bad or do companies advertise "no Canada" for no reason?
It will all just be car parts for Chrysler, so nothing that should be that suspicious for border crossing. Just looking for some insight. Thanks!

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
Hiya,

For starters I'm generally one who doesn't care to go into Canada. The reason for this is that it's coming back to the US that's such a pain in the wazoo. A few times I've been held up at the border for long periods of time. Sometimes it's a few hours & one time I almost had to spend a weekend there. It might be better now, as I haven't been there in almost a year, but my memories of coming back to the US aren't fun.

I think that's why most of the drivers don't like going to Canada, because coming back w/ freight is often filled w/ delays & such. You said you live in southern Ohio. A 4 hour delay at the bridge means you could have been pretty much home by time they released you to just cross the bridge.

In your case though, if you're just going to Windsor & coming back to the US empty, I don't see much of a problem. You might find yourself in some long lines, but that's not much different than being in a Cincy or Detroit traffic jam.

If you're doing that much delivering to Canada, have your dad get set up so you can cross using a FAST card. I'm not sure of this process, someone else on here might know it, but it'll be a lot easier on you if ya get it done. It seems as if you've got a pretty good set up for yourself & if ya wanna drive, by all means take it.

Going to Canada has never been a problem, at least for me. It's always been coming back to the US that's the hassle. If you're empty coming back, there shouldn't be a lot of issues for ya.

Good luck,
Danny

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I agree with Danny,the problem is not going into Canada,it is coming back in to the USA.

BonnieMac

Expert Expediter
Ohio, is your company set up for Canada? By that I mean you need to have a SCAC code, CVOR, Pars Barcodes, PAPS Barcodes, Cargo Manifest forms, A8 forms, etc. You don't need an Ontario Authority any more but in order to take loads into or out of Canada a carrier must have the above.

In addition, the driver of the commercial vehicle going must not have any type of criminal conviction whatsoever on his record, and I mean ANY. My husband had a DUI at 17 as a minor and it never made his adult record but he was refused a FAST card an entry into Canada because of that offense 25 years ago! We had to file an appeal and show that he has had nothing else of any kind in the past 20 years for them to reconsider.

Having a FAST card for the driver is a must as far as I'm concerned and getting the company FAST approved is a big help.

Additionally, be aware that if you come to the US border from Canada and don't have everything completely in order and your load pre-approved and paperwork perfect, the driver is subject to a $5,000 fine on the spot.

That would be my guess as to why more carriers stay away from it. There really isn't enough extra money in taking loads to Canada to warrant all the fuss. I only let my husband take loads to Ontario, not my o/o.

OhioStomper

Expert Expediter
The trucks are leased to Packard Transport and they have everything he needs to be legal to enter Canada. The freight belongs to my father, but he has it worked out with Packard so that it actually makes more money to run through them than to have his own authority.
The trucks will be coming back across the border empty, so there should be that big of an issue with what is on the truck. I have never heard of the passes you all are talking about. As far as I know, the drivers have clean records, but I don't think we have ever went back 20 years. Heck, most of them wouldn't have even had a license then.
I personally won't be going to Canada. I have a dedicated run that has me home every day so that I can finish my education. I am just trying to get a heads up for the other guys and my father.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Well as everyone says, US is the problem - don't worry about it, many make is more complicated than it should be.

Make sure there are no items in the truck that would be considered a weapon, drugs or items that are, well let's say not really allowed here. Make sure the prescriptions are in the drivers name and make sure that if they buy something over there to get a reciept.

Also make sure the driver has a passport.

Most of the time honestly and not being afraid of or hesitating answering questions will get you through.

OH now I just heard that all US based trucks returning empty must fill out an inward cargo manifest for the return trip back into the US - the mess gets bigger every day.

BonnieMac

Expert Expediter
"the mess gets bigger every day."

Didn't you just tell him its not as complicated as made out to be? lol If it wasn't so complicated it wouldn't be such a mess. I would rather have someone over-prepared to go in than not and risk the fines.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
To me complication and messes are two different things - but I see your point.

I simply mean that adding one more step to get home is not a complication, it is a mess. If they wanted to make it more complicated they would create more forms, require you to use those forms, create more programs to delay us and use more time spent on c**p stuff.