Pro Master

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've read a lot about the fuel milage and good and bad about the Dodge Pro Master. But I'm just wondering what the drivers are feeling about the power that this 3.6 engine puts out. How do they feel when empty, how do they feel when loaded to their max capacity? Do they easily run 70+ mph when loaded? How well do they handle the larger hills? Just curious because I'm looking at a Transit and I have a choice of the 3.7 Ford engine with similar power ratings or will I need to step up to the 3.5 twin turbo Eco Boost engine!

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
I've read a lot about the fuel milage and good and bad about the Dodge Pro Master. But I'm just wondering what the drivers are feeling about the power that this 3.6 engine puts out. How do they feel when empty, how do they feel when loaded to their max capacity? Do they easily run 70+ mph when loaded? How well do they handle the larger hills? Just curious because I'm looking at a Transit and I have a choice of the 3.7 Ford engine with similar power ratings or will I need to step up to the 3.5 twin turbo Eco Boost engine!

The engine in the Promaster has plenty of power in all situations, as I'm sure the Transit will too. I wouldn't waste money on the Eco Boost engine for any reason.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I wouldn't waste money on the Eco Boost engine for any reason.
Does that mean you don't have a reason? There is a significant difference in power specs between the standard 3.7 and the 3.5 EcoBoost. The biggest difference is in the torque and the rpm range where it peaks.

3.7L 275 hp @ 6000 rpm 260 lbs/ft torque @ 4000 rpm

3.5L 320 hp @ 5000 rpm 400 lbs/ft torque @ 2250 rpm

The EcoBoost is an expensive option and has tandem turbos that will probably be very expensive to replace.

Big Al

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Does that mean you don't have a reason? There is a significant difference in power specs between the standard 3.7 and the 3.5 EcoBoost. The biggest difference is in the torque and the rpm range where it peaks.

3.7L 275 hp @ 6000 rpm 260 lbs/ft torque @ 4000 rpm

3.5L 320 hp @ 5000 rpm 400 lbs/ft torque @ 2250 rpm

The EcoBoost is an expensive option and has tandem turbos that will probably be very expensive to replace.

How does the 4.6 V8 specs stack up against these V 6 s ?I remember my buddy Jack Berry used to say the 4.6 was light on power. The V6 ecoboost is advertised for trailer towing so it would seem as more than adequate, also I like low rpm torque !

Sent from my SCH-i705 using EO Forums mobile app

in-Transit

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
How does the 4.6 V8 specs stack up against these V 6 s ?I remember my buddy Jack Berry used to say the 4.6 was light on power. The V6 ecoboost is advertised for trailer towing so it would seem as more than adequate, also I like low rpm torque !

Hahahaha the modular 4.6 in its best configuration produced 260 hp and 300 ft lbs of torque late late models may have been tuned slightly better but that ecoboost completely blows it's doors off and weighs SLIGHTLY less ;)

Sent from my flying circus ....

Big Al

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Hahahaha the modular 4.6 in its best configuration produced 260 hp and 300 ft lbs of torque late late models may have been tuned slightly better but that ecoboost completely blows it's doors off and weighs SLIGHTLY less ;)

Sent from my flying circus ....

Good to hear, thankyou. I have a 4.6 in my Lincoln Town Car and it is a good engine but in a van a little light. When we were running we had a 7.3 powerstroke and was an overkill but fuel economy was great but now diesel is so much more. Probably will go gas with a generator if we return " Lord Willing". :)

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ah...Ecoboost, a V6 wants to perform like a V8. My thought? That's like giving the steroids to a donkey so it can be like a horse:)

Something is gonna give.

Of course, a donkey on steroids could out performed the horse. I'll let you be the judge to that.

Listen to the sounds of the ecobooster vs the V8 engine.

Here's the sound of ecobooster engine screaming @ 5000 RPM:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nWS4Eu8E2z4

And the V8......the original, smooth, incredibly sexy and powerful sounds.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MwHWbsvgQUE

westmicher

Veteran Expediter

I have a Ford with a 5.4 liter in it and the 3.8 liter in the Promaster will easily keep up with it!

I own both

Big Al

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I have a Ford with a 5.4 liter in it and the 3.8 liter in the Promaster will easily keep up with it!

I own both

Good to hear that. Our powerstroke used to give us about 22 mpg @ 64 mph and that was nice ; however , gas seems to be the way to go now because of fuel prices. It has been my experience that gas engines don't idle well at longer periods especially a 5.4 v8. Probably a small generater would be best. I really like some comfort . :)

tumbleweeds

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator

We have done okay with ours. We have it built out with fridge, micro, beds, dual battery power pack with 2800W inverter and 5/8's inch wood floor with 24" tall side bins down both sides and three large wooden cabinets for pantry, closet etc. With us included that makes about 1000# extra. This leaves us about 3300#'s for freight on our one ton unit. We have hauled skids up to 2800#'s with no problems and can run the mountains at 70mph. It is like our 2010 Chevy with the 6.0. It doesn't seem to notice the weight. When you first load a heavy skid on it you will notice it level out but is does not sag in the back end. So far 26,000 miles with no problems however did change out a headlight today. Freight space: 13'-3" long, 54" wide and 68-1/2" tall. We loaded a box that was 68" and had 1/2" to spare.

Hope this helps.

tumbleweeds

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Should have used water based varnish and not oil based on the wood pieces. It would be easier to touchup. Went for the woodie look inside. But it will scratch up in time.

tumbleweeds

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Oh, and I just changes avatar. Been with Landstar for several months now. Out with the Custom Critical and in with the Critical Custom (van).

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Tumbleweeds, any chance that I could see some pictures of your interior build out? Sounds like a really comfortable living space in back. Thanks