Price of fuel going down..

wallytrucker1

Expert Expediter
I paid $ 3.07 for diesel today in Redding, Calif.. This was at TA truckstop under Landstar's cost plus program. Who woulda thought a few years ago we would be excited about $ 3.00 fuel....go figure.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
What I think is odd that we have never seen before is the FSC for the west coast is less then it is for the rest of the states. With the FedEx Custom Critical discount the cheapest price we have paid in the month of October is 3.299. I would have never guessed the price would go below four dollars we also had great fuel mileage on that load so the price was a double bonus.

I am sure as winter fuel is getting closer and closer our fuel costs will start going up and our fuel mileage will start going down. Just part of it.

Last edited:

moose

Veteran Expediter
TC ,
this time last year (& every year)we had a Diesel price spike do to heating oil competing on the refinery production line .
the good news is that this year speculators will have a harder time driving the price up , Do to new markets laws pass by congress ,that limited the amount of price gauging to a percentage of the commodity that the "buyer" is actually get posses of .
unfortunately , buying the company that actually deal with commodity is chipper in regards to the profits being made by trading ,so the same markets forces will be in place this year .

the bad news is that this is an Election year , and prices will go up once the new Players in the house will become greedy again .

as to the west cost prices , it is a good sign ,of well stable market , with more and more cross country pipe line being productive (like the one in W.Y),we can expect less of a gap in prices nationwide.the western states was not effected by the hurricane.
i will be the last to try and predict future fuel price , it is just an idea. however i Did buy a truck that will pay back well ,if prices go up ,by saving on fuel expenses.

Moose.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
You know Moose it is great to have a truck that does well on fuel and you make money on the fsc. If the price of fuel has to be as high as it has been in the past we will do everything we can to keep making money on the fsc.

FIS53

Veteran Expediter
Nice to see lower prices but I don't see why winter should drive up the price until near the end when the home heating storage tanks are lower and need refilling and the warmer weather means more driving. Up here that's how it works normally. We see a big increase in diesel in the late winter and early spring as they do exactly that. So for a few months we suffer with diesel being higher priced than gas. You guys have much higher diesel taxes as diesel is a lot cheaper to produce than gas. Even with the new ulsd stuff it still costs less to produce.
Rob

moose

Veteran Expediter
I Dont think that my truck is so great on Fuel millage, as i get only 9.2 mpg.
yet it is great at fuel saving ,
with all the electronics ,and amenity's inside , i keep my DH % as low as possible in this industry .
it is a home away from the truck stop. !!!
i only stop in truck stop for fuel . and never need to DH ,unless it is for better position my self back to the freight area.
with the 3.88 rears , it is cruising @ 58 ,for more saving.
we tried to slow more , and only got worst fuel millage.
looks like the Hino like it just around 1700-1750 ,
if we drop it below 1600 it burn more fuel .
when i save more money , am going to invests more in fuel economy , hoping to get 10 mpg , by the end of next summer.

Moose.