President Obama makes Marine break protocol.. and hold an umbrella over him?

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I cannot comment as to why two marines would be guarding a copier without more information. Why is that statement hard to understand? It is a plain fact. There are MANY valid reasons for that action to have taken place. It was rather common place in the security agencies to guard equipment. Without knowing why, I don't know.

I don't know what other answer you need.

I can easily come up with MANY valid reasons to guard a piece of equipment, none for holding an umbrella for an able bodied president. I can see holding one for my wife, if we owned one, or an old man or woman who needed help. To order a person to do so is just wrong.

Humble2drive

Expert Expediter
You seem to have a misunderstanding of what SOME marines duties are.

As do you.

Being a "personal valet" is demeaning, nothing short of being a personal slave.

It is disappointing to hear a fellow veteran compare an honorable hand selected special duty position to slavery. Anyone who has served in any branch of the military knows that there are many "special assignment" positions where the soldier serves in a personal capacity to a superior.

My friend and fellow serviceman was the "personal assistant" to the AFNORTH Commander. He chauffered the General and his wife, cooked them meals, took the Mrs. Shopping, cleaned etc. When my wife and I had dinner at the General's house, it was my friend who took our coats, put the flowers in water, served us drinks, cooked dinner and waited on us. His job was a special assignment that was only offered to those with an exemplary record. I don't recall any military members under that command that considered his job as demeaning and/or slavery.

The marines assigned to the Commander in Chief normally spend their day standing motionless and unflinching at various doors in the White House and the West Wing. When their CIC approaches, they open the door for him. Is this slavery as well? Do you look at that as demeaning also?

I was a member of the USAF Color Guard. I stood motionless and presented the Air Force flag at events and ceremonies. If then President Reagan would have asked me to hold an umbrella over him during a speech I would have been proud to do it.

I don't believe that you speak for the marine in question. He followed the request of his CIC with honor and was most likely proud to do it and will save that picture to show his Grandchildren.

If that poor baby Obama can't stand to get wet, he should learn to stay out of the rain on his own, or wear a rain coat. Most intelligent men know that by his age.

If you had researched the story before starting your rant you would know that Obama's concern was the Turkish Prime Minister. Obama often completed speeches on the campaign trail in the pouring rain with no umbrella so your childish " poor baby" statement is another misjudgment.
It is not my desire to defend Obama's decision; however, your feigned outrage regarding a military member being "demeaned" by the simple task of holding an umbrella is over the top. I once had to peel potatoes! How demeaning! That Drill Instructor treated me like a slave!! :rolleyes:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
As do you.

It is disappointing to hear a fellow veteran compare an honorable hand selected special duty position to slavery. Anyone who has served in any branch of the military knows that there are many "special assignment" positions where the soldier serves in a personal capacity to a superior.

My friend and fellow serviceman was the "personal assistant" to the AFNORTH Commander. He chauffered the General and his wife, cooked them meals, took the Mrs. Shopping, cleaned etc. When my wife and I had dinner at the General's house, it was my friend who took our coats, put the flowers in water, served us drinks, cooked dinner and waited on us. His job was a special assignment that was only offered to those with an exemplary record. I don't recall any military members under that command that considered his job as demeaning and/or slavery.

The marines assigned to the Commander in Chief normally spend their day standing motionless and unflinching at various doors in the White House and the West Wing. When their CIC approaches, they open the door for him. Is this slavery as well? Do you look at that as demeaning also?

I was a member of the USAF Color Guard. I stood motionless and presented the Air Force flag at events and ceremonies. If then President Reagan would have asked me to hold an umbrella over him during a speech I would have been proud to do it.

I don't believe that you speak for the marine in question. He followed the request of his CIC with honor and was most likely proud to do it and will save that picture to show his Grandchildren.

If you had researched the story before starting your rant you would know that Obama's concern was the Turkish Prime Minister. Obama often completed speeches on the campaign trail in the pouring rain with no umbrella so your childish " poor baby" statement is another misjudgment.
It is not my desire to defend Obama's decision; however, your feigned outrage regarding a military member being "demeaned" by the simple task of holding an umbrella is over the top. I once had to peel potatoes! How demeaning! That Drill Instructor treated me like a slave!! :rolleyes:

When I was in basic training I did basic training jobs. That never included peeling potatoes but it very well could have. Basic training is a filter. It teaches little, it is designed to "weed out" those who could not handle military duty more than anything else. You know that as well as I do.

Getting assigned potato duty in army basic, at least at Lenard Wood in 1970, was for screw ups. I never screwed up. I only pulled KP, once, on the serving line. I don't know what it was like in Air Force basic. I only pulled guard duty the one time that was mandatory to get out of basic. Any more than that was reserved for screw ups.

I went into basic as PV1, came out PV2. Make PFC 60 days later and Spec 4 with a TOTAL of 10 months in service. I EARNED those promotions and turned down E5 in 1973. I was not eligiable prior to that.

Once I started my MOS training it was a MUCH different world. I was treated with the respect that I had earned. I had a job to learn. I did. I then did that job, as assigned.

You are entitled to your beliefs about personal service as I am mine.

We fought a war to not have to call someone "your highness" etc.

IF I were president I would be holding that umbrella for that marine. He is the one with his life on the line, for me, that would awe me. I could never dream of asking someone to do that.

I speak to each person with the same level of respect, unless they have done something to make themselves unworthy of that respect. Be that the Secretary of Defense or a "slow" janitor.

That is how I have always been treated, in most cases. by either that janitor or the Secretary.

On a side note,

I turned down presidential communications duty while in basic. That was MY "biggest" stupid financial choice. I also turned down West Point, which I was also offered while in basic. I had no interest in being an officer or committing to a 10 hitch at that point. That was not as big a mess up as the coms deal was. THAT was stupid. Had I made a career out of the military I would have went for warrant officer. Best rank in the military in my opinion. That school was a lock for me had I reupped. It was offered when they were trying to get me to reup. I did not wish to do so. Me and the army got along fine, for three years, no point in pushing things. I am a bit too independent for the military. LOL!!

As to your service, and mine, it would be fun sometime to BS about it. I LOVE going to the VA. I always get to sit around with others and remember. It's fun. We ALL have our stories.