Premium Transportation Logistics

deadhead

Veteran Expediter
Both of u are correct............I stand corrected,Once your trucks deliver the drive has to dead head back to barn to get another load.Do you pay for the dead head miles?

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Isn't all freight ONE WAY?

Freight rarely returns once delivered.

Most expedite loads are one way. I've been doing this for awhile and can only think of 3 times where I returned to the shipper with the same freight. Two of those loads were because the shipper sent the wrong freight.

I also got hooked up with a quasi dedicated run two winters in a row that lasted about 6 weeks each time. 2 or 3 times a week I hauled connecting rods from a machining outfit in Minneapolis to Fond du Lac, WI. About 70% of the time I loaded for the return to Minneapolis.

Return freight is rare, but it is nice if home is at either end of the line.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Both of u are correct............I stand corrected,Once your trucks deliver the drive has to dead head back to barn to get another load.Do you pay for the dead head miles?

HAS too?......well no they don't have to at all.....unless you are a homing pigeon...:)my former carrier used the term "backhaul" as they were originally a trucking company.....a trip down to Laredo and getting a load out is NOT getting a backhaul...it is just another load...

Last edited:

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Return freight is rare, but it is nice if home is at either end of the line.

Or at least within striking distance.. And that distance can vary for each one of us.

Reloads happen on occasion but like ya said can be rare. Most of the time I would much rather have a pre-plan then a turn & burn.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Is Buddyma indicating PTL has more deadhead than other expedite companies? I'm confused.

Don't see where he said that. I'm kinda confused also but questions are not directed to me and I'm here just for building my post count. :D
Post # 22 makes me lean towards questions about company trucks.. But as I said I'm getting confused also.