Power Inverter for Fridge in Sprinter

TonyD

Active Expediter
Blanket does not draw much. We used one last year. No problem. Next time we pass you need to look at our setup.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
I wonder how long a heated mattress pad would run on a marine battery to that 50% line. Isn't that when they need to be recharged?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
If it draws 60 Watts, that's 5 amps off a 12 volt battery. (amps x volts = Watts, or, Watts / volts = amps)
You definitely don't want that kind of a draw off a cranking battery.

It would seem all you really need is a 100AH marine/truck battery for your aux battery, hooked to the alternator via a battery isolator. Then use a battery charger hooked to the generator to keep the aux battery charged up while sitting for extended periods. I would still recommend a battery monitor.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
If it draws 60 Watts, that's 5 amps off a 12 volt battery. (amps x volts = Watts, or, Watts / volts = amps)
You definitely don't want that kind of a draw off a cranking battery.

It would seem all you really need is a 100AH marine/truck battery for your aux battery, hooked to the alternator via a battery isolator. Then use a battery charger hooked to the generator to keep the aux battery charged up while sitting for extended periods. I would still recommend a battery monitor.

Good info. Thanks T-man! I'll shop it next chance and get my list together.

drifter

Expert Expediter
Hey Murray I got the kerig coffee machine.in the big rig I am driving now I have a 1800 inverter and I have crank the truck when I make coffee or the c maker will cut off. For some reason it draws the amps.run a 1000 watt microwave with no
Problem
Sent from my EVO using EO Forums mobile app

drifter

Expert Expediter
While were on the subject,do most transport the generators inside a cargo van or mount outside..

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
I currently carry mine inside. But I shut the fuel valve off and don't yet get gas fumes. I'll be getting a vinyl cover for it to make sure fumes aren't an issue. But some carry them outside. I've seen a couple of great setups. TonyD's and BillG27's setups are very similar. Front hitch. Diamond plate box fabricated and mounting on a receiver carried shelf thing. Out of the way and nice. Bill has his outlet bumper-mounted and cables run thru. Out of the way too. Clean look to boot!

drifter

Expert Expediter
Yea thats good info..got to crawl before I can walk

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
But some carry them outside. I've seen a couple of great setups. TonyD's and BillG27's setups are very similar. Front hitch. Diamond plate box fabricated and mounting on a receiver carried shelf thing. Out of the way and nice. Bill has his outlet bumper-mounted and cables run thru. Out of the way too. Clean look to boot![/QUOTE]

My box is front mount and like Murray said, I installed an electric outlet in the front bumper. I use a short cord from gen to bumper outlet and can move the van if needed without shutting down or disconnecting the generator. It helps for getting fuel or moving as the sun movement changes.

I carried mine inside for over a year. Never had any issues with fumes because the newer generators have emissions fuel caps that don't allow vapors out. Only let air in while running and pulling a vacuum. Just like your fuel fill cap on your CV.
ImageUploadedByEO Forums1381260747.011488.jpg

Last edited:

TonyD

Active Expediter
Our setup. 30 amp cord. This way we can plug in at campground.

Attachments

• 1381262818212.jpg
    1381262818212.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 23
  • 1381262838399.jpg
    1381262838399.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 23