potential newbie here

aardvark307

Seasoned Expediter
Here's my background...

50 y/o retired USN, divorced, kid on her own, native to MI, but here in TX to attend a school. I wanted to try my hand at auto body before I got too old, but the more I get into it, the more I realize that it's not for me.

I have a Class A, went thru the Prime school to get my CDL. Couldn't master the art of backing up the trailer and I couldn't sleep in a moving vehicle. Spent about six months doing that.

Was a FedEx courier for two years, then became a transport guy. I moved Class A RVs, fire trucks, school busses, cement mixers, garbage packers, bobtails, plus anythng else that could be scrounged up, including those straight box trucks made in Wakarusa, IN. Did that for four years.

After reading these forums, it seems like the odds of me getting something as a solo as slim. Being alone on the road doesn't bother me. I also have a passive income via my military retirement check, so while cash is always important, I have a degree of flexibility that most folks don't have at my age.

Given my experience, what do you think of my employability as a solo? And where should I look? Go back to MI or am I likely to find something here in Houston?

Thanx in advance.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Do you want to invest in your own vehicle and be an owner operator or do you want to run for someone else who is the owner of the truck.
This is important as most fleet owners want teams in their trucks to maximize revenue. Operating solo you are restricted by the HOS rules.
But since you have a passive income that may not be a factor for you.

Running solo Michigan and the Midwest is probably better for you then Houston.Many loads come out of the Houston chemical complex but go to Chicago or other areas that require teams,whereas in Michigan and the Midwest there are runs that are only 3-500 miles in duration.
I have run as a team and as a solo. I believe the best area for solos is the NorthEast and New England. There are loads that come up that are relatively short that the teams refuse but you can run almost 5 days per week and at the end of the week you have earned some decent $.

aardvark307

Seasoned Expediter
Oops, forgot to add something.

I want to be drive for someone until I get a feel for how the business works. Ignorance is costly.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Ignorance is real costly. If you remotely enjoyed the travel delivering the motor homes etc. maybe that's mo better. I'd do it again someday.

aardvark307

Seasoned Expediter
If you remotely enjoyed the travel delivering the motor homes etc. maybe that's mo better. I'd do it again someday.

Like most things in life, it has its pros and cons. I hated the costs of traveling to my next load, costs of motels, washing the unit upon delivery, taking the Greyhound/Amtrak, etc...

Because you are transporting inventory for resale, you cannot use the AC unit or propane heater. I want to be warm in the winter and cool in the summer.

Sitting still and staying comfortable until your next load comes up seems much more appealing than the alternative.

Also, how often do you transport a LTL load? Seems to me that some loads won't take a full 53' trailer and time isn't so critical that they do the cost premium of an expedite.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Most expedite loads do not require a 53 footer. Generally 2-8 pallets are a typical expedite load. Expedite units run form cargo vans to straight trucks to Semi trailers. What type of unit are you interested in operating?

aardvark307

Seasoned Expediter
What type of unit are you interested in operating?

Don't care, just as long as it's not a T/T. If I can transport 45' RVs and ladder fire trucks, I can drive any expedite vehicle, other than the T/T.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
I know the pros and cons. I used a vw diesel, and built a towbar myself (with a lot of teflon) so it wouldn't scratch the tow vehicle. Cost of getting to next job was less than you'll experince in this. Just put a bit of gas in the generator tank, or, turn on the diesel for the generator to stay cool. Abit of LP don't cost much for heat. No stress getting there. Yes, washing is pretty tuff, but, we Army guys can handle it.

aardvark307

Seasoned Expediter
Just put a bit of gas in the generator tank, or, turn on the diesel for the generator to stay cool. Abit of LP don't cost much for heat. No stress getting there. Yes, washing is pretty tuff, but, we Army guys can handle it.

The AC units run off of generators that have a counter. They are rigged so that you cannot unplug the counter and run the generator. They track the hours of use.

They also will notice any propane in the tank too.

I found that using a tow vehicle is not a cost-free activity. You are wearing out your car by towing it. I used to tow, but discovered that taking public transportation/rental cars was much less hassle.

Never said that washing the unit was tough, I said that I didn't like doing it.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
AARDVARK, only ribbing you. Hope you find a ride, if you want to expedite. Seems to be a few trucks open, if you check the classifieds on this site. Good luck.