Post Office in Trouble!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
And this is why they want to close down our small rural post offices.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/05/b...y-solvent-and-relevant.html?pagewanted=1&_r=2

6 day delivery is absolutely wasteful...should of been gone 10 years ago....and what was USPS thinking? No lay off clauses? that is just stupid....
President should Executive Order....Fire them all...kick out the unions and start all over again....
BUT they'll probably just throw more gas on the fire instead...:mad:

Last edited:

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
6 day delivery is absolutely wasteful...should of been gone 10 years ago....and what was USPS thinking? No lay off clauses? that is just stupid....
President should Executive Order....Fire them all...kick out the unions and start all over again....

They just keep talking about that 5 day work week...and have been for a long time..time to act!

Now residents of rural communities will have to drive 70+ miles to pick up any packages or deliveries that won't fit in their mail boxes. Should bring back the Pony Express!

Last edited by a moderator:

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy

Hey OV, now calm down and have a pickle, we got all day to blow an:D artery,lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
They just keep talking about that 5 day work week...and have been for a long time..time to act!

Now residents of rural communities will have to drive 70+ miles to pick up any packages or deliveries that won't fit in their mail boxes. Should bring back the Pony Express!

We should get rid of cars and electricity and go back to the 1800's :p

greg334

Veteran Expediter
God I wish you all would learn what the USPS is all about and how it works before going on the rampage that does not effect you unless you want it to.

Bring back the pony express?? great travel to the nearest county seat for all your mail.

Hey i have a great idea, lets tax emails and pm ... oh and forums to support the USPS.

The costs are partially to blame for the unions but the bigger costs are involved with mismanagement of the system and yes ... the 6 day delivery, which by the way the president doesn't have the power to change.

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
God I wish you all would learn what the USPS is all about and how it works before going on the rampage that does not effect you unless you want it to.

Bring back the pony express?? great travel to the nearest county seat for all your mail.

Hey i have a great idea, lets tax emails and pm ... oh and forums to support the USPS.

The costs are partially to blame for the unions but the bigger costs are involved with mismanagement of the system and yes ... the 6 day delivery, which by the way the president doesn't have the power to change.

Greg..You've lived in the city too long..come on out to the country for a proper edumacation! Which is my polite way of saying you're full of navy beans...:D

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yes Greg we KNOW....I don't see any reference to the President...it is up to Congress..we also know it is mis-management..you state the obvious...

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
nah..just trying to make the point...If Greg's nearest PO closes..he might have to go another 5 miles to get his packages..while the people living in Reva, SD will have to go to Lemmon, SD to get their's..a distance of over 70 miles. From our rural point of view, close that dang city one down!

Yet we know that won't happen because of the enormous population in the cities.:(

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
I suppose one could sell off the postal service, privatize it /UPS and move on.

That's a good answer. I believe the first thing I would do is fire the top dogs and replace them with UPS and Fed Ex management. The Postal service is trying to do some of that anyway and hasn't figured it out.;)

visit my sister site.
www.truckerads.com

leezaback

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
USPS and the IRS-they actually are a private enity. subcontractors. to the goverment.
Postal service has been going down for a long time. wonder why? They are not accountable to the people, if they lose you're mail-too bad ! put a claim in-they may get get to you in 120 days or so. Still wondering where are my paid bills that never reached the payee !
Now if anything important has to be sent-I send it UPS:

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Problem with the USPS is they are a government entity, the only difference is they don't use any tax dollars, they are self sufficient(well they should be anyways)
The problem is everytime they want to do something like raise the price of a stamp they have to get government approval
that is way they are still delivering mail 6 days a week, when 5 makes much more sense. Seriously would any of us miss getting our junk mail or bills on Monday instead of Saturday?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Yes Greg we KNOW....I don't see any reference to the President...it is up to Congress..we also know it is mis-management..you state the obvious...

Just a reminder, here is your comment about the president and the executive order.

Whoops there it is...

nah..just trying to make the point...If Greg's nearest PO closes..he might have to go another 5 miles to get his packages..while the people living in Reva, SD will have to go to Lemmon, SD to get their's..a distance of over 70 miles. From our rural point of view, close that dang city one down!

AND?

I don't use my post office much, which is 2.23 miles from my door but if this was 1963, I would understand the need for it with the limited rural communications and such but with UPS, FedEx and other package delivery services AND the fact that you and others are using other means to communicate, living anywhere outside of upper Maine or Point Barrow Alaska, there are other options.

USPS and the IRS-they actually are a private enity. subcontractors. to the goverment.

Not really, the USPS is a specifically charters entity within the constitution, the IRS isn't. Until the 70's it was run by the government, funded by congress and overseen by the president as a cabinet position.

Since that all changed, it has gone down hill.

Postal service has been going down for a long time. wonder why? They are not accountable to the people, if they lose you're mail-too bad ! put a claim in-they may get get to you in 120 days or so. Still wondering where are my paid bills that never reached the payee !
Now if anything important has to be sent-I send it UPS:

If you have problems, contact the postmaster general - washington and file a compliant there. I have serious problem with my mail ending up not in my mail box. a couple years ago, we had one postal worker who would dump bunches of rubber bands on the ground in front of the house so I collected them and sent them back to the postmaster general in Washington - I got a nice letter back and the inspectors at my door only a week later and another postal worker.

Last edited:

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
Greg..UPS gets lazy out here and if it's under 50 pounds, they drop if off at the post office and we still have to go pick it up.

leezaback

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thank you, DAKOTA and GREGG for your clarafication, and not slamming me into the wall !

I learned something new-cool:cool: