Post mortem on Atlanta's icy gridlock.

Slacktide

Seasoned Expediter
Chains will just give people of a false sense of security and it will be worse out there

Tell that to the hundreds that wrecked, I bet they would rather that "false sense of security" over that concrete barrier as their new hood ornament. :rolleyes:

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
"Watch out for those "excuses" of yours they could be proven to be detrimental to your health and or livelihood. 10/15 minutes chaining one side of your truck is FAR safer than hours parked."

I lived in Atlanta and know how they drive. Even 15 minutes on those shoulders would be dangerous. I also ran fire/rescue and ambulance for ten years. EVERY winter, we responded to at least one accident where a car on the shoulder was hit by another sliding car. Several of those accidents had injuries and one a death. We had one where a PA State Trooper ended up on top of the guard wire out in front of my house. That one was on an ice coated road and the trooper was responding to a wreck that was in front of the house. Fire fighters were jumping the wire and rolling down the hill to avoid getting killed.

We lived out in the country then, multiply those by tens of thousands. Shoulders in Atlanta, during an ice storm, are not safe. The "safest" thing would be to remain inside the vehicle and attempt to get off the road at the first place possible. Yes, you could get hit. You are just as likely to get hit on the shoulder while chaining up, only there, you are not in the truck. Far less chance of surviving outside of the truck than in. It is a percentage game. I will make my decisions based on my experience. Those experiences have served me quite well for many decades. I think I will stick with them.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
What a grump
ForrestGump2.jpg

Slacktide

Seasoned Expediter
Screw Them all let them stay at home idiots

I can see it now ...improper installed chains flying all over ,..people/ cars Pelted with chains!

Atlanta is nuts at best you should see those idiots drive when in nice weather!

And this, and some of the other posts, is where I tap out of the soap box and remember why I don't post much here. Carry on with the foolishness and live your delusions. Meanwhile I'm at my delivery (thanks to my chains) collecting extra pay waiting for the employees to come to work tomorrow to take the freight off my truck. As it turned out, they couldn't make it here and I could. It's a whole lot easier for my carrier to charge hold time with me here than sitting elsewhere. $$$$$$$ :) :D

Brisco

Expert Expediter
Georgia's only State Snow Plow has finally been located!!!!

Roads should be clear within a few hours............

Hang in there people.....HELP is on the Way!!!

GeorgiaStatePlow.jpg

:) :p :)

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
I can just hear Sally saying that to you.
Oh yeah, later on show her the pic of the little snow plow. :)

True!!! Heck, I'll send it now!! I really think she'd let me have a project car!! As long as it wasn't too expensive as it was worked on.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Speaking of Atlanta, Heres a photo for a few Bolt folks that properly will remember their load in and out of there the other night for some time to come.

Bolt.jpg

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
And this, and some of the other posts, is where I tap out of the soap box and remember why I don't post much here. Carry on with the foolishness and live your delusions. Meanwhile I'm at my delivery (thanks to my chains) collecting extra pay waiting for the employees to come to work tomorrow to take the freight off my truck. As it turned out, they couldn't make it here and I could. It's a whole lot easier for my carrier to charge hold time with me here than sitting elsewhere. $$$$$$$ :) :D

Don't get your balls In a knot... Over one persons opinion... You made a suggestion... I gave an opinion...