Possibilities are endless

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
Here are some of the meals I have made in our truck using a regular microwave and my.electric skillet. It is pretty easy to adapt to cooking with a little.creativity. uploadfromtaptalk1388087232238.jpg
Lasagna

uploadfromtaptalk1388087254887.jpg
Jalapeno, bacon, cream cheese stuffed turkey burgers.

uploadfromtaptalk1388087305565.jpg
Fried rice

uploadfromtaptalk1388087326630.jpg
Christmas pancakes

uploadfromtaptalk1388087351557.jpg
Pasta with a tomato cream sauce and sausage
uploadfromtaptalk1388087394913.jpg
Fajitas
uploadfromtaptalk1388087416255.jpg
Omelets

And much more.

Also have perfected stroganoff and scalloped potatos :)

Sent from my VS870 4G using Xparent Pink Tapatalk 2

SwaggleCat

Rookie Expediter
Yum! Way to go, Jenny. I think maybe I want to keep the crock pot at home and go with a skillet. I do love chili though. There's nothing better when it's cold out.

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
I have a ton of recipes I have modified to fit my appplication. I will be bringing my crockpot out after we aredone with our break. I have a bunch of recipes to try out.

Like I have previously said, typically weekends are used for my cooking, and then I vacuum seal it all for the week. It usually only takes 2 hours, depending on what I am cooking up.

ChanceMaster

Expert Expediter
Small electric skillet is my go to cooking appliance on the road, then my small slow cooker. I should start cooking in small batches and store like you suggest. Sometimes while running, I'm too lazy to cook, and spend high money on low food. Bulk cooking could alleviate some of that. Good tip.

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
Thanks. I started doing it so Nick could easily warm something up and avoid garbage snacks. Up until last weekend, other than Thanksgiving dinner, we had not eaten outside of the truck in 2 months. It saves us money, and we eat much healthier. Plus now after those hard trips where all you want is dinner and bed, it can be easily acheived and left feeling satisfied.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Thanks. I started doing it so Nick could easily warm something up and avoid garbage snacks. Up until last weekend, other than Thanksgiving dinner, we had not eaten outside of the truck in 2 months. It saves us money, and we eat much healthier. Plus now after those hard trips where all you want is dinner and bed, it can be easily acheived and left feeling satisfied.

You hve saved at least 1600 dollars in 2 months by doing that,,,way to go....

zorry

Veteran Expediter
If the electric skillet is out it becomes like a camp sink. Or stuff gets wiped out and just washed. Rinse water tossed out in gravel or grass.
Some items get wiped, bagged, and washed in the sink at shower time.
Fancier trucks have sinks.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I hope this isn't off topic. How do you guys clean cookware on the road?

Jumbo plastic bowl [stays in or on top of microwave when not in use] full of water heated in coffeemaker, small scrubby brush w reservoir of dish soap. Wash everything, pile aside, dump water into grass, refill bowl with clean hot water to rinse.
I use paper plates, but real flatware and plastic reuseable bowls, so the very hot water is important. Also, they dry very quickly.

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
I boil water, fill my sink with the dirty dishes, and dump the water in. Let it cool enough to stick my asbestos hands in and scrub. I then heat water through my kuerig pot to rinse them. Usually only takes a few minutes, but I hate doing dishes. We use disposable plates and silverware now but that will be changing since I looked at the cost of what I am throwing away vs buying reusable .

ChanceMaster

Expert Expediter
I use a plastic " 3 compartment" plate and a plastic camping spork and after using, bleach wipes to clean them. A lot of camping items are useful in the truck.

It is amazing how much money can be saved by "eating in ".

WanderngFool

Active Expediter
I use a plastic " 3 compartment" plate and a plastic camping spork and after using, bleach wipes to clean them. A lot of camping items are useful in the truck.

It is amazing how much money can be saved by "eating in ".

That gets to why I asked. I read something recently about cooking and the person mentioned giving dishes a wipe and putting them away. Huh? No soap and water? Maybe what they were referring to was wiping with a bleach wipe.

ChanceMaster

Expert Expediter
Yep, bleach wipes, been using them for 3 years to "wash " my plate and utensil. They come in handy for cleaning other surfaces as well.

SwaggleCat

Rookie Expediter
I have a little camp folding sink and folding bucket for washing in case there is no sink to use. I can't microwave them, but I can put hot water in from the microwave. I've discovered, too, that a trip to the outlet mall can save money over camping stores if you need reusable eating utensils and cheap food storage/prep tools. I even found a nice little skillet.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Bleach wipes are good, but I actually like washing dishes. Well - I like putting my hands in very warm water, anyway. It makes them feel better.
Under the paper plates [never styrofoam!] I use a solid squarish plastic plate that doubles as a cutting board. That one gets bleach wiped after washing, because of the nicks & scratches. And everything is air dried - wiping with a towel just puts germs back onto them.

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
So, I bought a food processor to make my oat bars. It died before I could chop all of my dates, but they were still good.

1 cup of raw cashews
1 cup of old fashioned oats
10 medjule dates
Lemon juice or water as a binder
Flavor extract of choice

In the food processor chop the dates and oats together. Remove and place into a bowl. Place the dates in the processor and mix them into a paste, hoping it doesn't crap out like mine. Put part of the oat cashew mixture back in and add a little water/juice. Continue blending and adding the rest of the drh mixture, adding more liqhid until it makes a thick dough, but not goey. Then you can either roll it into balls, or push it into a pan. Refrigerate it, and then either cut into bars, or place the balls on the fridge to harden up and put into a container. Keep them in the fridge and when you want a snack you have them. They are very good, even nick likes them. I use only lemon juice and lemon extract since I love lemons.

The next thing I made in my smoothie blender since the processor was dead.
White bean garlic "hummus"

1 can canolini beans
Lots of garlic, or however much you would like.
A half of lemon worth of juice
A pinch of salt
A little evoo

Blend or process it until it is smooth, adding a little evoo to help smooth it out.
Phenomenal on pita chips!
Sent from my XT1080 using Xparent Pink Tapatalk 2

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
So, I bought a food processor to make my oat bars. It died before I could chop all of my dates, but they were still good.

1 cup of raw cashews
1 cup of old fashioned oats
10 medjule dates
Lemon juice or water as a binder
Flavor extract of choice

In the food processor chop the dates and oats together. Remove and place into a bowl. Place the dates in the processor and mix them into a paste, hoping it doesn't crap out like mine. Put part of the oat cashew mixture back in and add a little water/juice. Continue blending and adding the rest of the drh mixture, adding more liqhid until it makes a thick dough, but not goey. Then you can either roll it into balls, or push it into a pan. Refrigerate it, and then either cut into bars, or place the balls on the fridge to harden up and put into a container. Keep them in the fridge and when you want a snack you have them. They are very good, even nick likes them. I use only lemon juice and lemon extract since I love lemons.

The next thing I made in my smoothie blender since the processor was dead.
White bean garlic "hummus"

1 can canolini beans
Lots of garlic, or however much you would like.
A half of lemon worth of juice
A pinch of salt
A little evoo

Blend or process it until it is smooth, adding a little evoo to help smooth it out.
Phenomenal on pita chips!

These recipes sound very good. I'll have to try them. Thanks for sharing them.

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
I also made cookies in the convection microwave. 2 mashed bananas, a cup of oats, 1/2 cup of raisins, a pinch of salt, and as much cinnamon as you would like and walnuts. Bake at 350 until the center is firm, took about 14 minutes

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Go to the J in Laredo or to the Detroiter and I think you would earn 50k a year just on your cooking for starving expediters,,,its a thought.

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
Thanks. I love to cook.

All of this was in the truck, minus the last two, which were from our cookout last night here in Bordentown.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1399250277207.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1399250277207.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 48
  • uploadfromtaptalk1399250285295.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1399250285295.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 48
  • uploadfromtaptalk1399250298193.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1399250298193.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 47
  • uploadfromtaptalk1399250357799.jpg