Positives AND negatives about your company

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
The thread about negativity got me thinking; and thus, this thread. Post your positives and negatives about your current or past company, but do BOTH. If you're negative, post it. But come up with something substantly positive (and not just "I like the blonde in dispatch"). Same if you love your company. Tell us about something you don't like.

Try to keep it simple. If you respond, don't criticize. And stick to the rules here. If you post ONLY pos or neg, I'll delete your post. KEEP IT CIVIL!

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I drive for C&M Transport.

Pos: Good miles. They don't try to drive the truck for you. They are totally business. Good dispatch when they're not too busy answering phones to help you out.

Neg: You're on your own when your truck breaks down unloaded. No pay for three weeks after they get your bills. No comdata or likewise advances. Accessorial and surcharges are less than the industry average. Stingy on paying dh.

"If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know." - Kansas

Buckeye71

Seasoned Expediter
I leased on with Bolt Express! I'm to new yet to rate them as a good or bad company! But I can say some positive things about them! I Researched some (not all) expedite companies and Bolt seperate from the others were freindly they now me by name not by number! The guys and gals in dispatch are personable,respectful sometimes they have there bad days but don't we all! I was introduced to just about everyone in the company! Bolt carries them selves quite well very professional they have a state of the art facility! The one I like most when the owner comes out and introduces himself and says if I have any questions or concerns please feel free to contact him! Now I never have but I like that door being left open in case I do! And last but not least there recruiters are great Ann & Mark are great! I recommend any new drivers or experienced drivers to at least check them out for themselves! They are a familiy friendly company! well thats it for now till the next time........

hondaking38

Veteran Expediter
company:panther2

Pos: at least 2 weeks a month i get huge miles (2500)plus a week
about once a week i get a small straight truck load which pays $1.00 a mile..90% of the dispatchers treat me well..got my panther jacket finally, so the new online isssue or complaint department definatly works..miles have drastically increased since i got off the canada merry-go-round. paid on time, can see how many miles my van has been driven..

Neg: usually dead head home for military duty such as i did last night...request to go north for duty and usually get loads every which way but north, so in one day my acceptance rating can be slaughtered..

overall rating: 90%

fastrod

Expert Expediter
I drive for myself. The positives are that I set my own rates. If my costs go up then my rates go up. I do not have acceptance rates or in service rates to worry about nor do I have qualcom to track my every move. My rates are high enough so I can deadhead home after every run no matter how far. The negatives are that if you break down you are on your own. I tried leasing on to a co. but I realized it was better if I had complete control over my business rather than just partial control.

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
>The thread about negativity got me thinking; and thus, this
>thread. Post your positives and negatives about your current
>or past company, but do BOTH. If you're negative, post it.
>But come up with something substantly positive (and not just
>"I like the blonde in dispatch"). Same if you love your
>company. Tell us about something you don't like.
>
>Try to keep it simple. If you respond, don't criticize. And
>stick to the rules here. If you post ONLY pos or neg, I'll
>delete your post. KEEP IT CIVIL!

Previous company Thompson:

Positive
1) Great dispatch
2) Lots of runs
3) For quite awhile they had me going in a Michigan/Toronto/Michigan loop

Negative
1) Lower end of the pay scale. This didn't matter much to me until #3 from above started breaking down.
2) Coming back to the US from Canada. This isn't the companies fault though. I knew it going in. Still a negative in working for them.

This next one can kind of be a positive on the company if ya think about it because I stuck w/ em even though:
3) Original recruiter lied to me. I was told by their US recruiter (a guy named Bob) that hotels were paid for. One of the reasons I accepted the lower rates. I was told that I'd get $40/nite for hotel while out on the road. I'm thinking this is why they're on the lower end of the payscale. I go to orientation & they drive me to get my decals put on. I get in their car on the way back to the office. I bring it up to Perry about the $40/nite for hotel & he says "huh?? who told ya that? We don't pay anything for hotels" & I'm thinking you've gotta be KIDDING me. He offers me the chance to go back to the decal place b4 they get em put on if I don't want to work for Thompson. I decide to give it a try since I'd already done quite a bit to get signed on w/ em up to that point.

Anyway, Thompson as a company was fine. They can't help where the freight goes & it's not their fault on the US customs challenges. I just wanted to be more local, which leads me to....

EGL:
Positive
1) Local freight
2) Local freight =)
3) If ya wanna take a hotshot (expedite run) ya can. I just got back from Indiana yesterday.
4) Home pretty much every nite
5) I don't wanna overstate this cuz it doesn't happen a lot, but every now & then ya get that $100 run for 25 miles or what have ya.
6) Ya make quite a bit more per mile by having three or four $40-50 runs in your truck than ya do one $180 run.
7) A bad run locally (like say a 45 mile run for $18 or what have ya) is a lot easier to recover from than a bad run of several hundred miles that puts ya out in the middle of nowhere.
8) When it's slow ya can often make a little something. Ya might have some days when ya aren't slammed busy but ya have a run or 2 & make $60 for the day or what have ya.

Negative
1) They want ya to have a Dodge Sprinter

That's about the only company negative I can think of. Even then they let me go back to my Ford, so I have no real qualms.

The following negatives are unique to my situation only. They don't reflect anything bad on EGL. No one did anything wrong.

2)Living 80 miles away from the terminal, there has to be about 3 runs to line up to make it worthwhile. I can't do the one run for $35 if I have to drive 170 miles to do it. The quick $35 run more applies to people who live closer to the airport.
3)I need to be even MORE local because I want to still work 2nd shift & keep my martial arts training. I'm available for split runs (pick ups that don't have to come straight back) but essentially Tuesdays & Thursdays I'm off. So if it's slow on M-W-F I've had a bad week. That's not EGL's fault though.

Take care,
Danny

BonnieMac

Expert Expediter
we have our own authority (48 and 53' Vans). The positive is that I can work WITH all the expedite companies and not stuck with just one. We work with Panther II, Landstar Express America,Con-Way Now (R.I.P), Bolt, ASAP, UPS, FED Ex, and a lot of the other companies that you all work for. I like being a partner with them and not an employee. I can adjust my rates as fuel dictates, choose my lanes, choose when I want to work, and have no penalties for turning down loads I don't want.

Negative is that we live or die by the overflow freight and I take all the pressure if the truck isn't moving. I don't have a dispatcher to call and chew out. I have more freedom to work with but a lot more responsibility too.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
C&M + Great Dispatch, everyone knows who you are. Do not care to discuss earnings other than I do fine. - A guy in the office named Mike wow do not get on his wrong side lucky for me he has a very short memory.

Paul56

Seasoned Expediter
We are our own company.

No negatives, only positives.

No higher authority to report to except ourselves; however, we are our own very tough bosses.

Keep in mind there is always a way to make lemonade out of lemons. :)