Portable Generator deals/for sale? Best a/c unit?

Tim Xpedites

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm interested, although I've been getting by with a door mounted fantastic fan and 2 walmart deep cycles for 10 years, never been south of Ohio to sleep, it worked good enough below 100 degrees...new sprinter has a partition, I don't even have a mattress in it yet
you been ok w/ a fantastic fan and no a/c during summer? I mean even in places like Ohio it still can get 90+ & in these vans that can be suffocating for sure.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
you been ok w/ a fantastic fan and no a/c during summer? I mean even in places like Ohio it still can get 90+ & in these vans that can be suffocating for sure.
It's hard to describe but a 200 mph wind at your toes actually is too cold sometimes. Maybe 1 or 2 days a year I sweat even with it, but I've got a second one to aim at my face. Windows fully down of course, bunk just behind front seats, partition wall. And I've never idled in winter down to -40. Left jacket on and 2 nice thick sleeping bags over everything including my face...

SamCF

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Check out Champion generators. I run the 3100 watt inverter model with remote start. It's set up on an auxiliary tank with automatic transfer pump. I run my convection/microwave, 100 amp charger, and 13,500 but AC with hard start capacitor... but not all at the same time.

Very good quality, quiet, and good on fuel.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Very good quality, quiet, and good on fuel
Careful on models. I don't know about that one; I've had no problems the 9000 champion for the house but it sounds like a helicopter is landing in my backyard

Edit: oh inverter model that explains it

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
People have had problems with the powerhouse. For the price it doesn't seem bad but as reliable as the Honda it's not.

Reactions: Tim Xpedites

Windsor

Veteran Expediter
Not telling anyone what to buy but the Hondas are definitely the best. Some others are good but none of them have the reputation of the Hondas. Maybe in the future, idk. With that said, you get what your willing to pay for and just like our trucks they all have to be taken care of. Most generators don't have filters so oil changes are very important if we want any kind of life out of them.

Reactions: Tim Xpedites

Windsor

Veteran Expediter
Yamahas reputation is a close second. Polaris and a few others are making high quality generators now also.

ttruck

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
So I been diggin thru the forum, I found some posts dated back to 2011 and such concerning a/c, generators etc. but I thought I would create an up to date post on know how & or best installation ideas/location/deals to purchase said A/C, Generators as I am currently in need of both.

I hear multiple things concerning A/C units -

1 - Buy a walmart window unit, mount it in the back window
2 - Purchase a rooftop unit, though some are disposable, cant be recharged or serviced?
3 - Purchase an area A/C- Heater combo?

I hear multiple things concerning Generators -

1 - Purchase a Portable Honda EU2000i $800-$1,200
2 - Purchase a Portable Predator 2500w $529.99
3 - Purchase an outside generator (Tons Cheaper than portables) & mount it in a cage or box on the front/back?

So whats yall's input or knowledge thats been doing this awhile, what is your go to staying cool in the summers down in Laredo or warming up north in North Dakota during the winters? Whats your opinions on BEST/WORSE concerning said issues & are there any current deals on any of said items you know about? Thank you in advance.
Is this in a van